What's new

Zero FXE

cabanza

Member Number
I did a test ride at my local dealer this morning. About 10 miles total. This was my first time riding an electric motorcycle. It's like nothing else I've ridden. And I mean that in a good way.

The bike comes with 3 different riding modes: Eco, Sport, and Custom. I tried both Eco and Sport. based on my too little experience, I'm not even sure the Custom mode is necessary. I started in Eco. The bike was surprisingly fast. The power is very linear. You also get the most battery recharge from braking in Eco mode. If I'm being honest, Eco is probably enough most of the time. I switched to Sport. Holy smokes! I mean, Wow, wow, wow! What a rocket! You will leave everything and everyone behind. I mean it. I haven't felt such a rush since I rode 1,000 cc sport bikes. There is no torque curve, no flat spot. You just keep on going faster. I saw a brief 80 mph which is 5 mph less than the top speed announced by Zero. Again, the power is very linear. The Sport mode would be great on twisty roads where you can get the most sensations.

The range is still unknown. I didn't do enough miles to know what the actual range would be. The bike was at 85% of its power capacity when I took it. I didn't check when I turned it off. What I checked was the range. When I picked it up, range was 59 miles. And when I pulled in, range was 39 miles. But I did 10 miles. Some of those miles were on the frontage road where I accelerated really hard and went fast. Zero says the bike's range would be 40 miles at 70 mph constant on a full charge. Zero says the max distance on a single charge can be as much as 100 miles. I doubt that but I think 80 miles can be achieved. There isn't a lot of data (test reviews and ride reviews) so experience is limited. One European video I watched said that when the bike is at 0% power, you can still do 10 miles and that's the way Zero built the bike. So it's got some kind of "reserve."

The bike itself looks well finished. The riding position fitted me nicely. It's comfortable even though the seat looks thin. The display screen looks very nice. The controls are intuitive. No clutch and only one gear so it's just a front brake lever on the right hand and a rear brake lever on the right foot. I rode over some rough pavement and the suspension proved to be very good. You sitting position is very upright so it becomes challenging to ride past 60-65 mph on the open road. Last thing I want to point out is how well balanced the bike is. I think it's the most well balanced bike I've ever ridden. I did circles in the parking lot with a full tilt on the bar without putting my feet down. You can do a no feet down stop without any problem. And the bike is so light, it feels you're riding a bicycle.

Like I said, it's like nothing else I've ridden.

Would I buy one? Maybe. I am going to read the owner's manual to look at more information. The engine is air cooled. It's not necessarily a deal breaker but it's something to look at and consider. Battery life is something to look into. I read somewhere that a replacement battery would be $3,600. What is the battery life? I'm not sure. Since there's no maintenance other than tires and brakes, a replacement battery might be on par with servicing for a luxury brand (BMW or Ducati). Range is another point. I do most of my riding in the inner city but it's nice to know I can take my motorcycle out on a 100 mile (or more) ride. It might be possible on a Zero FXE but it would require a lot more planning. Tesla charging stations would probably have to be included in the route.

I had fun. Lots of fun. The power delivery, the instant torque, and the excellent chassis make for an incredible ride experience. I would recommend to anyone to go and test ride an electric bike.

FywmKj6XsBItSjl?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FywmKj6XsBcM0wL?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

All that and you didn't take one home? What was the cost?
Bike retails at $12,995 but there's a $1,000 off if you buy before July 15. Some dealers offer other incentives so pricing is a little flexible. Still, it's a lot of dough. Not quite a KTM SMC690R but definitely a lot better than a Kawasaki KLX300SM.

I did a test ride at my local dealer this morning. About 10 miles total. This was my first time riding an electric motorcycle. It's like nothing else I've ridden. And I mean that in a good way.

The bike comes with 3 different riding modes: Eco, Sport, and Custom. I tried both Eco and Sport. based on my too little experience, I'm not even sure the Custom mode is necessary. I started in Eco. The bike was surprisingly fast. The power is very linear. You also get the most battery recharge from braking in Eco mode. If I'm being honest, Eco is probably enough most of the time. I switched to Sport. Holy smokes! I mean, Wow, wow, wow! What a rocket! You will leave everything and everyone behind. I mean it. I haven't felt such a rush since I rode 1,000 cc sport bikes. There is no torque curve, no flat spot. You just keep on going faster. I saw a brief 80 mph which is 5 mph less than the top speed announced by Zero. Again, the power is very linear. The Sport mode would be great on twisty roads where you can get the most sensations.

The range is still unknown. I didn't do enough miles to know what the actual range would be. The bike was at 85% of its power capacity when I took it. I didn't check when I turned it off. What I checked was the range. When I picked it up, range was 59 miles. And when I pulled in, range was 39 miles. But I did 10 miles. Some of those miles were on the frontage road where I accelerated really hard and went fast. Zero says the bike's range would be 40 miles at 70 mph constant on a full charge. Zero says the max distance on a single charge can be as much as 100 miles. I doubt that but I think 80 miles can be achieved. There isn't a lot of data (test reviews and ride reviews) so experience is limited. One European video I watched said that when the bike is at 0% power, you can still do 10 miles and that's the way Zero built the bike. So it's got some kind of "reserve."

The bike itself looks well finished. The riding position fitted me nicely. It's comfortable even though the seat looks thin. The display screen looks very nice. The controls are intuitive. No clutch and only one gear so it's just a front brake lever on the right hand and a rear brake lever on the right foot. I rode over some rough pavement and the suspension proved to be very good. You sitting position is very upright so it becomes challenging to ride past 60-65 mph on the open road. Last thing I want to point out is how well balanced the bike is. I think it's the most well balanced bike I've ever ridden. I did circles in the parking lot with a full tilt on the bar without putting my feet down. You can do a no feet down stop without any problem. And the bike is so light, it feels you're riding a bicycle.

Like I said, it's like nothing else I've ridden.

Would I buy one? Maybe. I am going to read the owner's manual to look at more information. The engine is air cooled. It's not necessarily a deal breaker but it's something to look at and consider. Battery life is something to look into. I read somewhere that a replacement battery would be $3,600. What is the battery life? I'm not sure. Since there's no maintenance other than tires and brakes, a replacement battery might be on par with servicing for a luxury brand (BMW or Ducati). Range is another point. I do most of my riding in the inner city but it's nice to know I can take my motorcycle out on a 100 mile (or more) ride. It might be possible on a Zero FXE but it would require a lot more planning. Tesla charging stations would probably have to be included in the route.

I had fun. Lots of fun. The power delivery, the instant torque, and the excellent chassis make for an incredible ride experience. I would recommend to anyone to go and test ride an electric bike.

FywmKj6XsBItSjl?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FywmKj6XsBcM0wL?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Ghostbusters?

I wouldnt fear getting shocked or the bike not working. The Florida hurricane flood ev cars had to be stored with 40ft gaps in outside storage due to spontaneous thermal run away. I am more worried about burning down my house. The trails are deep bogs and it floods here. I might buy one of those 90mph stand up scooters that has an ip rating, if I can get past the nile red video.

From the owner's manual:

In hot temperatures greater than 109°F (43°C), the charger reduces its charge current to the power pack, increasing charge time accordingly; the hotter the ambient temperature, the greater the effect. Above a power pack temperature of 122°F (50°C), the BMS will no longer allow charging.

Note: Storing the motorcycle or its battery in direct sunlight in ambient temperatures above 95°F (35°C) may result in accelerated permanent decay of power pack performance, and hence it is not recommended.

The manual also mentions cold temperatures but the range of cold temperatures does not apply to most of Texas.

I'm not sure how hot my garage gets but it gets above 100 degrees these days, May be even over 110. The above note mentions "storing" and not "parking' which implies a longer sitting. Still, it sounds like the bike should be left in the shade.

Also:
Estimated Power Pack Life to 80% (city): 135,000 miles (217,000 km)

Range (Europe) (According to EU 134/2014 Annex VII): 66 miles (106 km)

Range (US and rest of the world): City (EPA UDDS): 100 miles (161 km)
Highway, 55 mph (89 km/h): 60 miles (97 km)
Combined (City + 55 mph): 75 miles (121 km)
Highway, 70 mph (113 km/h): 40 miles (64 km)
Combined (City + 70 mph): 57 miles (92 km)

Estimated Top Speed (max): 82 mph

Estimated Top Speed (sustained): 75 mph

Motor Net Torque: 78 lb·ft

Motor Net Power: 44 hp

Curb Weight: 298 lb

Carrying Capacity: 332 lb

The torque figure and the power to weight ratio are both excellent.

Maintenance is close to zero. Belt needs to be changed every 24,000 miles. Tires, brake pads, brake fluid. That's it!

Last edited:
Prices on the Zeros must have dropped because when I test rode one a few years ago it was around $20k. I thought the bike was tremendously fun. Very quick, agile, with smooth acceleration. It was strange to not have to anticipate clutch/gear changes. Unfortunately, its limited range meant I could only go 35 miles or so before having to turn around.

Electric bikes have lots of advantages. Torque is king!

If the bike doesn't pan out and you still want someone light, torquey and nearly maintenance free, the MT07 is waiting for you 😁

Top Bottom Back Refresh