What's new

Rant About Your Day Here!

I can't believe anyone is desperate enough for entertainment to still be reading this.....get a life already! :lol3

So.... now my snake is stuck and the dirty dishes are really starting to pile up.

I'm on my phone calling plumbers to come rescue me when a buddy texts and ask how my project is going. I sob on his shoulder long enough that he agrees to come over and help me out. He says we can cut the pipe and patch it with a "Fernco coupler" and I say "what's that?". This exemplifies the level of my plumbing expertise. :shog

So....yet another trip to the hardware store to get several fernco couplers and some other bits I think we might need.

Buddy shows up and off to the basement we go dragging along my giant saws all. There's no stopping now!

We gestimate where the end of the snake might be and fire up the big red Milwaukee tool of destruction. 2" of ABS doesn't stand a chance! Seconds later we are looking at two cut off ends of pipe packed solid with 25 years of grease. Hmmm....no wonder it won't flow.:scratch

But....no snake. Cutting through your drain a second time is way easier....it won't make it anymore expensive for a professional to fix two cuts than it will one. Well, not that much more. I move 6 feet upstream and buzz through again. Still no snake. It wasn't as far along as I thought.

At this point my buddy pretends his phone rings and begs off saying he has to go his neighborhood is being attacked by aliens, or some such excuse.

I really hesitate to cut another chunk out....I don't have much room left to work if I want to use my new couplers to piece things back together. Instead, I put a 90 degree bend in a scrap piece of aluminum stock I have and start digging my way upstream through 25 year old sink detritus. Ugh!

About 20" in I suddenly hear and feel metal. It's the end of the stuck snake. With tears of joy (and tears of noxious fumes), I can suddenly see the plumbing bill fading in the distance. I dig enough to finally free the end of the snake and hook it with my improvised excavation tool.

At last the snake is free!!!!!

Thus ends day two of the plumbing saga....more tomorrow.

Too tired to ride or work on bikes. I tossed around 300 pieces 10ft and 16ft of 2x8 oak. Drilled 800 holes through 4" of oak. Dropped and hammered 800 carriage bolts. Impacted 800 nuts in the vertical position. Used a a skillsaw to cut 300 pieces of that heavy 2x8 oak...at neck level! ya we sold 200 semi truck logging mats $100k yesterday! Now trying to catch up. Bad part is we saw the wood too. Absolutely whipped. Oh well do it again tomorrow. And you bet I am riding to work in a frosted over ice land.

Workin' hard. I'm tired just hearing about it!
🎻:D

200.gif
Somebody is wanting that swamp timber! I thought a down turn was soon. Could be for paper, lumber or pulp. Ha or some land owners need cash.

I hate oak. But I cooked some chops and a tenderloin over oak coals last night

I love oak coals! I never knew how much there is to know about firewood until we started having fires regularly in the backyard and I started my fire wood collection. :-)
We do firewood too. Very knarly machine. Our county has many homes with only fire heat. There are a few hickory logs on the yard. We use the cut off mat pieces at home. My small fire pit is beside our ground level deck...about 6ft from the back door.

I need to get my happy self to build an elevated pit/ brick oven.

Do you ever pretend to look at the other people like in the Brady Bunch?

brady-bunch-achievment.jpg
Oh man...I would play that bit with another team member. You could throw something at them at the same time a family member could throw something at them. Even better if both had same looking pets. Like 2 black cats. How did the cat just travel through the internet? Dam Hollywood squares.

Oh, jeez. Sorry to hear that!

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻
:D

Got that right.. got a new official IT issued f'ing laptop that apparently doesn't have speakers or audio despite the hardware obviously being there. IT support yea lolz...tell me another one, that was pretty funny. I only had to reboot once to get the bluetooth headphones to work today, so I could be late to the meeting with 20 people waiting for me to brief them.

I will happily take a debugging a clogged sewer line outside in the winter weather any day of the week compared to f'ing Microsoft Enterprise products.

I will happily take a debugging a clogged sewer line outside in the winter weather any day of the week compared to f'ing Microsoft Enterprise products.
Had a job interview via Microsoft Teams yesterday afternoon. I almost missed it due to connectivity issues.

UPSers aren't the pinnacle of truck driving anymore. The quality of feeder drivers has gone down the drain since Carol Tomé took over as CEO. The assholes driving the white trucks are even worse. Had one attempt to pass as I was at the bottleneck of a lane closure. Of course he starts blowing his air horn like a jackass and flicking his high beams like I'm the asshole. For ones like that, I like going 15mph under the work zone speed limit. The more the high beams are flicked, that is an extra 5mph I'll drop. Once out of it, I sped up and he couldn't catch me. My truck is faster! :bubba Those 13-letter shit spreaders (International) can't pull a short steep hill climb worth a damn. Neither can Freightliners. The ones in the white trucks are team drivers. They've been involved in some nasty fatal wrecks over the last few years. People talk lots of shit about FedEx Ground drivers but whenever something weather related happens, take a look at who is the odd one out of the mess. It's the Ground drivers. The UPSers are the ones who smash into other vehicles.

Since it's winter, and everyone is riding keyboards instead of bikes (myself included), guess I had better finish my plumbing story.

So...day 3 (which actually was yesterday). I started the day by making a list of all of the materials I would need...or, potentially need....and headed out. We have a local Ace hardware only 5 minutes from home, but I decided to make the 20+ minute trip to the big box hardware stores figuring they would not only have everything I would need, but multiple choices of different items. I really didn't need much: a new p-trap for the sink (it's apart and 25 years old...may as well replace it), 30' of 2" schedule 40 ABS pipe, couplers, and some glue.

First place I hit is Menards...p-trap? No problem! 2" schedule 40 ABS drain pipe? Ummmm....no! That is special order only. It's only the most common used drain pipe in construction...why would we carry it?!!?!?! GRRR!
Across the highway and over to Lowes...they gotta have it...right? Ummmmm.....no! :becca

I ring the local Ace (which I had to pass on the way to the big box stores) and "Yep! We always carry that". Back towards home I go and stop at the Ace to get the pipe.

From there, the project when surprisingly well. I cut out about 25' of grease plugged pipe and replaced it with the newly acquired (and oh so hard to find) ABS. With help from the Mrs., we glued the new sections in place and then put a Fernco quick connect on each end, so that long, flat run is easily cleaned out in the future. I let the glue set for a couple of hours, and then turned on the water. Zero leaks...whew! :bow

Ran the dishwasher last night, and the line remained leak free for that as well. I guess the saga is over....

.......Is that my boiler making a funny noise? :bluduh

Oh...to clear up one point of confusion. The drain I was dealing with is inside the basement....not outside. The kitchen sink in on the far end of the house from all of the other plumbing. There is a 50+ foot long, flat run across the basement ceiling to where it dumps into main septic outlet. Thankfully, the basement is unfinished, and all of the plumbing is exposed. There was no digging involved.

Oh...to clear up one point of confusion. The drain I was dealing with is inside the basement....not outside. The kitchen sink in on the far end of the house from all of the other plumbing. There is a 50+ foot long, flat run across the basement ceiling to where it dumps into main septic outlet. Thankfully, the basement is unfinished, and all of the plumbing is exposed. There was no digging involved.

Nice :)

But for the record, digging in half-frozen mud to replace an indeterminate length of full sewer line is still better than trying to make Teams work. If for no other reason that when you get it done you've actually made the world a better place.

:rofl

Barely a rant at all: spent half the day looking for my portable toolbox with all my electrical tools in it. It usually lives in my truck but I must have taken it out and left it at work or something, cause it ain't here!

I have a mess around here, still putting up insulation and such in my new garage so I have boxes of tools and parts strategically stacked in the house (no wife to upset 'round here!). I figured it was hiding among that stuff but clearly I was wrong.

It's raining! It's pouring! The old man is snoring! Majority of the creeks in my area have flooded over the roadways, making my commute home a little longer than expected. Of course idiots in their Priuses and Teslas attempted to pass through 2ft deep water and got stuck.

It's raining! It's pouring! The old man is snoring! Majority of the creeks in my area have flooded over the roadways, making my commute home a little longer than expected. Of course idiots in their Priuses and Teslas attempted to pass through 2ft deep water and got stuck.
Haha...Living in Daytona and going to ami..oh did it rain. There was a 30in deep hole into the parking lot. A daytime instructor was on his wide glide. Me on the Dr zee sumo. I had my feet at the gas tank shaking my head no dont try it!. Classic!

How was my day? Who knew a toilet shutoff valve would suck five hours of my time today.

Yeah I know something like that is coming for me. The toilet tank valve is mostly just leaking at this point, a replacement is on the way. I am not placing bets about how much fun I will have getting the old one out. Will go ahead and replace the flapper because I am convinced it will probably self destruct into goo as soon as I touch it.

Yeah I know something like that is coming for me. The toilet tank valve is mostly just leaking at this point, a replacement is on the way. I am not placing bets about how much fun I will have getting the old one out. Will go ahead and replace the flapper because I am convinced it will probably self destruct into goo as soon as I touch it.
My plumbing saga started with a leaking seal between the tank and the bowl. This meant I had to disconnect the tank from the water supply and the bowl. When I turned the old multi-turn shutoff valve, it started leaking. Grrr. Soooo...I shut off the water to the house, removed the shut-off valve, and removed the tank. Not surprisingly, I couldn't remove the compression fitting. And not surprisingly, the local hardware store didn't carry a puller. Sooo...I tried to finesse the fitting off. Nope. Had to use the old nut and compression fitting, which gave me an opportunity to double up on teflon tape and paste. Finally got it back together and seal. Of course, the new tank seal (the POS that kicked all this off) had to fight me as well.

What a day.

At some point I'm going to have to get a compression fitting puller because I have multi-turn valves all over the house, and I know they'll begin leaking the moment I turn them.
Easy solution for some supply problems.
I wondered about those but I couldn't use one because I couldn't remove the compression fitting. They look slick, though.

Top Bottom Back Refresh