What's new

2023 Scooter Cannonball

Looks like there was a major shakeup for today's cannonball run. What happened?
It looks like #555 dropped to third. #112 on an Smax must have had a really smoking run because he jumped to first. However, keep in mind that the scorekeeping runs behind sometimes as much as a day. The numbers may change by tomorrow morning. DaBinche tends to finish late so if he has a good run he might move up and even knock #555 down another place.

It's 8 pm central time so I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume that most everyone is accounted for today. It must have been quite a day. Major shuffle at the top and it looks like DaBinche dropped from 10 to 25. Wow! Still about 50 points between riders in 1st place and 3rd place. If today showed us anything, the race is far from over.

There were a lot of Check Points not counted for some reason. The leader (555) last check point photo is obvious but not counted.
Cheryl's didn't count and she took it again with the same results. Same for 247. Something is wrong with the score keeper(s).
#103 got a 0 for day 3 after posting beginning/ all 3 check points/ ending and all saying claimable.
Also, #103 took the support truck to the end for today and is in the video on FB page working on a scooter but tracker shows him over a day behind.
How do you get 5 good check points and score 0?
Tracker is showing people way behind when they already checked in.
I'm following 11 riders tracker pages. Some of them post YT videos showing they checked in but the tracker doesn't show it and obviously, neither does the score.

There were a lot of Check Points not counted for some reason. The leader (555) last check point photo is obvious but not counted.
Cheryl's didn't count and she took it again with the same results. Same for 247. Something is wrong with the score keeper(s).
#103 got a 0 for day 3 after posting beginning/ all 3 check points/ ending and all saying claimable.
Also, #103 took the support truck to the end for today and is in the video on FB page working on a scooter but tracker shows him over a day behind.
How do you get 5 good check points and score 0?
Tracker is showing people way behind when they already checked in.
I'm following 11 riders tracker pages. Some of them post YT videos showing they checked in but the tracker doesn't show it and obviously, neither does the score.
Oh that's not good!

There are some riders still out. I have a friend riding a 1978 Vespa P200 2 stroke (#138) who has been running way behind. According to the tracker he is only about half way through today's route and he's not the only one out there. Of course the tracker may be way behind but I'll bet there a still a number of riders still out.

DaBinche tends to finish late so his point have probably not been counted yet. I'll bet he's still in the top 10 unless he had a major problem.

I read that the scorekeepers were having cell phone signal problems today. On top of that they have way more riders this years so they have their hands full. Expect the many of the scores to be adjusted by tomorrow. In some cases it's taken until the following afternoon to get the days scores straight.

Able to chat with #103 Quasimotard. Found out he did the photos and checkpoints but hasn't turned in his scorecard yet.
Some folks keep you guessing. 2 days broke down waiting for OEM parts for transmission.
Says he'll probably update everything Friday evening.
I'm learning a lot about the Cannonball and the weird scooterist that ride it.
Makes me wanna go do it too!!!!!!

It looks lie DaBinChe hasn't updated his scorecard for yesterday yet because the points aren't showing.

They are well on their way for today. I am looking forward to tomorrow's leg because I will ride up and watch them come by. Tomorrow's leg goes right through my normal riding area.

This year they are allowing non scooters like the Grom and Monkey bike compete in their own class but not for overall results. Based on points the top bike in that class would be around 70th overall. Given how competitive the Super Cub is that seems strange.

On Saturday I hit the road around 6:30 so I could intercept the first rider that went by. The days leg started in Blytheville Arkansas and would be coming through North of me starting around 8:30. I rode to Lynnville, TN and figured I'd have to wait a while.

IMG_20230624_081334132_HDR-X2.jpg

I was just hanging out there and checking the cannonball tracker and figured I'd be waiting a bit for the first rider to come through. I guess the tracker runs a little behind and I was surprised when I saw a scooter come zipping through town.

P6240004.JPG

It was #555 on a Suzuki Burgman. He has been running out front and finishing first every leg. He was currently in 3rd in the points standings.

I raced to get my gear on and catch him at a checkpoint a couple of miles down the road. I did catch him as he was doing something on his phone. They have to stop, take a pic and submit it on the cannonball app.

P6240005.JPG

I asked if he minded me following him for a while and he didn't. It was a real challenge staying with him on TN129.

P6240006.JPG

He was hitting 75 and not slowing much for the curves. Then the route went of on a narrow, rough road with blind hills and curves. I wasn't comfortable riding that fast on that road so he pulled away. Then we went through a small town and on to another "goat trail" road. He lost me at that point and I slowed down and rode to Lynchburg which was the next checkpoint. There were a number of us there to watch the riders come through.

IMG_20230624_100753233_HDR-X2.jpg

There was an old jail museum at the edge of the town square in Lynchburg that was a chackpoint to that's we we gathered there to watch the scooters come through. Unfortunately, when the route was laid out they didn't know there would be a festival going on in Lynchburg and getting to and from the checkpoint could be a little chaotic! I took a bunch of pics.

This couple was riding together, Husband on a B200 and wife on an Smax. She ended up finishing 2nd and he finished 5th. The difference in standing was due to the B200 having a higher handicap than the Smax. She won the previous cannonball.

P6240010.JPG

P6240011.JPG

DaBinche came through on an old beat up Sh150. He would finish 10th. He was 2nd in the last cannonball on a Super Cub.

P6240016.JPG

This Buddy Kick125 finished 12th.

P6240014.JPG

Big Ruckus.

P6240020.JPG

Then they shut down the streets for a while for a tractor parade.

IMG_20230624_115913711_HDR-X2.jpg

IMG_20230624_115923244_HDR-X2.jpg

I decided to ride the route to the next checkpoint. At this point the fast riders had already passed by. I passed a bunch of riders on the way to the next checkpoint.

P6240057.JPG

P6240059.JPG

Just before the next checkpoint there where a bunch of hairpin curves going down Crow Mountain. I decided to stop there for a while since it was a good picture spot and it was cooler up here.

P6240063.JPG

P6240065.JPG

P6240069.JPG

Morphous!

P6240071.JPG

This year they opened a class for Groms, Monkeys, and other mini motos. Here come a couple.

P6240073.JPG

P6240074.JPG

WECSOG rode up on his new DR650 and hung out for a while.

P6240077.JPG

A couple of 2 strokes came by.

P6240079.JPG

P6240080.JPG

I thought one of them might be my friend who was riding a 1978 Vespa P200 so I decided to head to the checkpoint and see if I could catch him.

That looks like it was a blast to check out.
It was. Now I'm thinking about riding the next cannonball. I don't know if I will and I have some time to think about it. It would take some serious preparation. For one thing I'd have to get a better GPS and learn how to use it. I have two scooters that would be eligible but I would seriously consider buying a Suzuki Burgman 200 to run it.

klaviator Thank you for sharing all those pics!

Riding a cannonball would be such a great adventure. I wish they would consider doing a North to South or South to North route. For someone like me that lives in the middle, logistics can be difficult.

I followed directly on the website and it was really good fun!

Riding a cannonball would be such a great adventure. I wish they would consider doing a North to South or South to North route. For someone like me that lives in the middle, logistics can be difficult.

I think they did one once that went Alaska to New Orleans. Or maybe that was the vintage motorcycle cannonball:scratch The logistics are tough regardless.

Continuing on.....I rode to the next check point. It turned out the two vintage scooters were stellas and not all that old.

P6240082.JPG

So neither of those riders were my friend. A little later his kids showed up to cheer him on.

P6240085.JPG

It would be a few hours before he came through so they left the signs.

P6240089.JPG

Unlike Lynchburg where most of the riders made the stop as short as possible, a lot of riders took a longer break here. I'm guessing that was because in Lynchburg we saw a lot of the front runners while I saw the less competitive riders here.

Monkey business?

P6240095.JPG

P6240090.JPG

Someone posted on the other site that there was a rumor about the next one starting on the Texas coast and running up North of Seattle. If that happens you won't have any excuses not to do it!!!:D

But the Honda is 6800. I don’t see a premium brand like triumph under pricing Honda.
Where the Trident is the entry triple family. I expect the entry classic family to be priced about the same.

Someone posted on the other site that there was a rumor about the next one starting on the Texas coast and running up North of Seattle. If that happens you won't have any excuses not to do it!!!:D
That would be a huge incentive for sure! I think I read that they will keep the odd year schedule which means the next cannonball would be in 2025. My wife will turn the big 4-0 in May 2025. We've already been talking about a European/ Mediterranean trip for her 40th birthday. I'll have to figure out a way to make these 2 events happen.

Top Bottom Back Refresh