What's new

Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival 2023

IMG_20231006_155304947_HDR.jpg

At past vintage festivals I never did any demo rides but this time I decided to do one. I rode the CFMoto 300NK.

PA060002.JPG

I did a writeup here: https://advbikes.com/threads/cfmoto-300nk.3021/

A couple of pics riding through birmingham on my way home:

PA060041.JPG

PA060042.JPG

My ride down and back was my Yamaha Majesty. It's only 395cc but handled the 115 mile each way mostly interstate trip with ease. It cruises 75-80 all day and does 90+ if needed.

On Saturday morning it was 49 degrees as I left for Barber. Later it warmed up to a perfect day:rayof When I got to Barber the line to get in was insane. It was the longest line in all the years I have been going there. After getting in I went straight to the Demo ride area. I signed up to ride a Royal Enfield then had a little time to kill. I watched a demo of police riding by a retired Highway patrol motor cop. This guy was amazing.

PA070001.JPG

I have watched and participated in a number of gymkhannas but this guy was the best I have seen.

PA070002.JPG

Watching that made me want to practice and improve my riding.

Then it was time to ride.

PA070003.JPG

A couple of my friends raved about the Hunter 350 so I rode it. The seat sucked and the bars were a little low but otherwise it was a fun ride. I know the spec sheet says it's too slow to be fun but the spec sheet is wrong. i took a few pics while on the ride.

PA070007b.JPG

This thing is much more responsive and IMO more fun than the Himalayan.

PA070008b.JPG

PA070009b.JPG

After the Demo ride I headed over to the swap meet area to hang out at the Motorcycle Alabama booth and wander around and look at interesting stuff.

PA070011.JPG

PA070010.JPG

PA070012.JPG

It was time to go back for my next demo ride. I took some pics of the chaos on and near the perimeter road.

PA070013.JPG

PA070017b.JPG

I've been wanting to ride the BMW G310GS since it came out and this was my chance.

PA070022.JPG

PA070023.JPG

PA070024.JPG

As I expected the seat sucked. The bars were OK for riding but to low to comfortably stand on the pegs. Both of those two thing wouldn't be hard to fix. Other than that I was a very nice bike. It handled well. It's a considerable increase in power compared to my KLX250. The demo ride itself rocked. I'm sure most of you have been on lame demo rides. I knew this one would be different when the ride leader asked me if I was comfortable wringing out everything the bike had to keep up with him as I was first in line behind him. I assured him I was.

Off we went we rode a nice curvy road. Once we got clear of traffic we were able to really open up and get some serious lean in the curves:ricky:ricky:ricky. At one point I saw 82 on the speedo and it wasn't topped out! We left everyone else behind:rayof When we got back the ride leader told me good ride. He said many riders tell him that they can ride but they can't.
This is the only BMW that I would actually consider buying although the KTM 390 adventure would be more likely.

I went back to the CFmoto tent and signed up to ride the papio126.

PA070028.JPG

As you can see, this is a competitor for the Grom. MSRP is $2999. They put me last in line with only the sweep rider behind me. This thing was an absolute riot and the most fun demo ride of the weekend. Since it only 126cc and all the other bikes were 300 and up I could wring it out all the way. I fell behind a few time but caught up pretty quickly. This thing has a real peppy motor and a 6 speed tranny. I was able to maintain around 55 going up a long hill. The highest speed I saw on the speedo was 64.

the riding position was comfortable but the seat wasn't. I'm sure that could be fixed.

PA070029b.JPG

Top Bottom Back Refresh