What's new

Barnish find 2009 Versys 650

JimVonBaden

Kool Aid!
Member Number
Picked this up from an old friend. It has sat 4 years basically untouched. My friend wanted to get it going, but couldn't get the gas cap to open. This is a known issue, and can be very difficult to open as the tabs corrode.

Anyhow, a deal was struck and I went over and got it. The bike is basically a barn find, with cobwebs on it, and 10 year old tires.

2jA5VK.jpg
Cv7Rcj.jpg
oNJLeu.jpg

Loaded up and brought it home.
Zsxjqv.jpg

Washed off the dust and spider webs.
l8jAPo.jpg
TZJZLS.jpg
q6C0JG.jpg

Took all of 5 minutes to get the cap off. I used a small angled pry bar and worked it into the cap and it popped off. You can see that the tabs are corroded and are well frozen.
7TehyE.jpg
GkFwv3.jpg
GXlVLa.jpg

I popped in a battery and it lit up and turned over freely. The tank is empty, and rusty, and the fuel pump is not hooked up. But all in all it looks like a decent project.

Overall it looks great.

Some more details.

Mileage is low:
sjmseF.jpg

SW-Motech goodies:
yNCNIf.jpg
B9YnwL.jpg
I2jN2S.jpg
LYICcM.jpg

SS Brake lines:
NFiXku.jpg
hWVmkG.jpg

Are these factory grip heaters?
x56eQQ.jpg
LQKN2v.jpg

Seat Concepts seat, I have the original and foam:
TdBxKD.jpg

Datel meter:
MyTFC0.jpg

Aftermarket levers and home made guards:
bdFdJa.jpg
cbUSA3.jpg

Aftermarket foot pegs:
av7JzV.jpg

Is this a factory sidestand?
IjtTnm.jpg

I also have the factory screen and a tinted touring screen.

Last edited:
Nice find! I had the red only option 2008 model. This should be a fun clean up project. It might be easier to find a good used green fuel tank. OR just go all in and give it the JVB custom color change! Either way they very practical bikes to run around on.

Nice find! The versys and ninja 650 are siblings. I have couple of examples with nearly 60k on each and they run well.

Those are not factory heated grips. The side racks were originally quick connect with dzus fasteners.

Nice find! I had the red only option 2008 model. This should be a fun clean up project. It might be easier to find a good used green fuel tank. OR just go all in and give it the JVB custom color change! Either way they very practical bikes to run around on.
Nice find! The versys and ninja 650 are siblings. I have couple of examples with nearly 60k on each and they run well.

Those are not factory heated grips. The side racks were originally quick connect with dzus fasteners.
Thanks, I am going to give rust removal a chance, the paint is still perfect on the tank.

I didn't think they were factory, too clunky. I have an idea for the side cases.

Got the cap apart and found it is broken beyond repair, no surprise. I probably broke off the nub why I pried it out. Tons of corrosion.
KUkiMt.jpg
jVxJdB.jpg
OaRPzv.jpg
KJQeFI.jpg
VcGptN.jpg

This is the tool I used to get it our, quite easy actually.
KBHdAl.jpg

Here is the new one I just ordered for $30. Hope it fits and I can swap out the key tumblers. The dimensions are good.

Pbn9iQ.jpg
2Gz9Fo.jpg

My key tumbler:
TDTqXN.jpg

For the luggage racks, I have a pair of new Givi top case mount plates laying around. I think I will bolt them to the racks, and use these for panniers, maybe even paint an accent portion on them in matching green.

1XbKB0.jpg
ucBKh7.jpg

Here are the racks I will bolt or weld on.
MlQ8uz.jpg

The swm racks can be drilled to attach givi (monokey) hardware.

Interesting. I wonder if the spacing is right? That would be much cleaner. Thanks!

Edit, ordered from Revzilla, $38 for the pair. I can make a small adapter plate if needed for spacing.

Interesting. I wonder if the spacing is right? That would be much cleaner. Thanks!

Edit, ordered from Revzilla, $38 for the pair. I can make a small adapter plate if needed for spacing.
Yes, if u order the racks for givi monokey.

Got a decent shot of the tank rust. Going to tackle that after I get back from vacation.
tiau7I.jpg

I have a set of late model BMW R1200GS grip guards. They don't guard much but the wind, but I think they will be useful and look good. I need to trim down the bar end weight, and then fabricate a mount for the other end, but I like them.
IAE1xm.jpg
vUXORZ.jpg
0NslOq.jpg

I may need to make some adapter plates to get the spacing right. We shall see. But this will be much better than the goofy plates I was considering.

Thanks,
Following up on this, I matched the layout of the plate with the holes on the SW-Motech racks and they look like a perfect fit. I think it will work perfectly.

Top Bottom Back Refresh