What's new

Bicycle thread

Is there an explanation for that workout and what it is supposed to achieve?

My intervals were over 1000W, some over 1100W... that is above my weight class. It serves my training purposes, that is engaging everything to hit the target power levels if I hit the sprints on the trainer fresh. The only question IRL is if I have enough gas in the tank. W' needs to be 18,000W.s for an effective sprint and because of my low mass that can be a lot to ask.
I much prefer to do those intervals on the road with a motorcycle pacing me though. Or twice weekly summer crits with four lap primes. If I absolutely have to do it on the trainer I prefer to choose a route on RGT or Zwift or something and attack the climbs and sprints. I've demonstrated how I do that in the videos. I've also done videos of the climbers intervals and the screaming good fun (with lots of screaming) motopaced intervals. lol
This current video is about our relative gains, performance targets and the recovery of our bodies after children. The stars are two "oh wow!"early twenties upstaging three of us thirty something old women. I am looking a little more beaten with a few more scars that only gives me street cred with the Ukrainian girls, nothing else... but hey, I have my scarred mini six pack back and I am fit! :sob
Since February there have been fourteen children born here and another, the last is due any day, enough for a creche and there is already a school. I am angered beyond words by the thought that all of those children will not know their fathers and none of those women will see their husbands again because of the empirical ambitions of one evil little monster! But, I digress. Most of the mothers have no sports background and are participating now with the rest of us guiding and encouraging them. We are seeing a lot of progress and they are becoming the new stars of the series.

Yesterday, early swim after half the night on teleconferences, then 110km/2500m with T and a few friends and in the afternoon I didn't miss out either with some fun on the track with the UA girls. The extra hour on the bike isn't hurting me and it is hard to describe how much fun we have. More the same today.
After another successful summer ctit series this year we are organising a similar track series for the winter months.

I think it may be too kind to associate the events with the empirical ambitions of one person. Over and over again we've seen far and wide support of that person by his subjects. I have come to accept that the primary culture, there, loves to praise, worship, serve and/or follow the will of what they feel a strong leader should be. The majority of Russians, and now far too many traitorous Ukrainians, have shown unbridled support for the invasion, for the rape and torture, and just general treating of Ukrainians as third-class humans. Modern Russian society, then, to me is the same as it must have been in the 1800's and before. They have not changed. Adapted, yes, but not really changed.

-

vo2max.jpg

I believe that training I did was supposed to be pushing VO2 max after 'exhausting' anaerobic capacity, but then I don't think it was as it was based on a ramp test that was taken the day after a century. It was a challenge of sorts, but not an excruciating challenge. Which, to be honest, is OK as I was still recovering. I know this now as I have been sleeping longer than I was last week - to bed early and sleeping solidly throughout the nights. So instead of following the rest of that training plan, I'm taking a break and will try to ride another gravel century on Saturday.

What I think we can see is that since I rated it not being very difficult, TrainerRoad has adjusted what I am capable of based on power, my own input as to rating the difficulty, and if not now - I know in the future TR will be taking heart rate into account for adjustments. I'm guessing by that image above that it considered my VO2 max (again, this is a new training goal and program, so perhaps it deleted my old data?) to be a baseline of 1.0 (whatever level that 1.0 may be), and now understands that it under-rated me and has adjusted my VO2 by a few points. This has it making adaptations to future planned trainings as to what I am capable of. Perhaps the next time I do this same training it will be much harder?

I don't know, but I do know that I want to focus on distance riding to be able to ride bigger distances, and that this is yet another year of trying to come back to some level. I may never be in road-ride fitness again, but all I can do is to keep trying. Not sure if diverting from the TR training plans is helping or hurting me toward the October 22nd goal, but I hope to use the TR programs more afterward.

I think it may be too kind to associate the events with the empirical ambitions of one person. Over and over again we've seen far and wide support of that person by his subjects. I have come to accept that the primary culture, there, loves to praise, worship, serve and/or follow the will of what they feel a strong leader should be. The majority of Russians, and now far too many traitorous Ukrainians, have shown unbridled support for the invasion, for the rape and torture, and just general treating of Ukrainians as third-class humans. Modern Russian society, then, to me is the same as it must have been in the 1800's and before. They have not changed. Adapted, yes, but not really changed.

-

vo2max.jpg

I believe that training I did was supposed to be pushing VO2 max after 'exhausting' anaerobic capacity, but then I don't think it was as it was based on a ramp test that was taken the day after a century. It was a challenge of sorts, but not an excruciating challenge. Which, to be honest, is OK as I was still recovering. I know this now as I have been sleeping longer than I was last week - to bed early and sleeping solidly throughout the nights. So instead of following the rest of that training plan, I'm taking a break and will try to ride another gravel century on Saturday.

What I think we can see is that since I rated it not being very difficult, TrainerRoad has adjusted what I am capable of based on power, my own input as to rating the difficulty, and if not now - I know in the future TR will be taking heart rate into account for adjustments. I'm guessing by that image above that it considered my VO2 max (again, this is a new training goal and program, so perhaps it deleted my old data?) to be a baseline of 1.0 (whatever level that 1.0 may be), and now understands that it under-rated me and has adjusted my VO2 by a few points. This has it making adaptations to future planned trainings as to what I am capable of. Perhaps the next time I do this same training it will be much harder?

I don't know, but I do know that I want to focus on distance riding to be able to ride bigger distances, and that this is yet another year of trying to come back to some level. I may never be in road-ride fitness again, but all I can do is to keep trying. Not sure if diverting from the TR training plans is helping or hurting me toward the October 22nd goal, but I hope to use the TR programs more afterward.

Dave, it's the wrong forum to disagree with me on that subject and I am disappointed that is all you took from my comments. :D

Training for distance riding is lots of high mileage days. Cardio fitness is important, VO2 in a performance context much less so. Keep doing the miles.

Just my 0.0000246c worth

Last edited:
I have 2 bicycles. An old Pro Flex full suspension mountain bike, and a 24" BMX Haro.

The Pro Flex is old tech, but fun to look at. I plan to take it to a ski resort near me that just opened for chair lift mountain biking.

The Haro is all aluminum, and great for hooligan activities. :D

Attachments

• 20210530_132307.jpg
    20210530_132307.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • enhance.jpeg-7.jpg
    enhance.jpeg-7.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 6
Dave, it's the wrong forum to disagree with me on that subject and I am disappointed that is all you took from my comments. :D

Training for distance riding is lots of high mileage days. Cardio fitness is important, VO2 in a performance context much less so. Keep doing the miles.

Just my 0.0000246c worth

Thank you!

That was my plan for tomorrow.

(did we disagree? I take it you don't blame the populace of Russia as much as the leader - which doesn't make sense to me as they have done next to nothing to remove him over the decades)

Thank you!

That was my plan for tomorrow.

(did we disagree? I take it you don't blame the populace of Russia as much as the leader - which doesn't make sense to me as they have done next to nothing to remove him over the decades)

Dave, I don't excuse or defend anyone, so I'll thank you not to put words in mouth or attribute limited ideas to me. Again, I am disappointed that was all you took from my post.

Dave, I don't excuse or defend anyone, so I'll thank you not to put words in mouth or attribute limited ideas to me. Again, I am disappointed that was all you took from my post.

I'm confused - but got a notification to not talk about it here. I'll PM you. edit: can't pm you from this site?

Wow, that channel is hilarious :imaposer An entire channel devoted to the constant evolution of dopers in cycling... I love it! :lol3

IpcCON7.jpg
Check out Hambini. Maybe you're already familiar, if not he's an engineer that repairs riders frames and does reviews on frames and components. He has had to repair 4 or 5000 dollar frames, and he will show the viewer how "crap" they are. The video on the Dura Ace crank blew my mind. I never thought I'd see the day that a Shimano product of that calibre would fail.

Check out Hambini. Maybe you're already familiar, if not he's an engineer that repairs riders frames and does reviews on frames and components. He has had to repair 4 or 5000 dollar frames, and he will show the viewer how "crap" they are. The video on the Dura Ace crank blew my mind. I never thought I'd see the day that a Shimano product of that calibre would fail.

He has a web site too:
Less of his French. :imaposer

Considering we hear about a few tens of these cranks failing against hundreds of thousands made, the failure rate is very sparse. If say 50 in 100,000 that is still 1/20th of 1% and in manufacturing that is very good. Only a handful of failures are needed to create a lot of noise on the internet.

Dave, it wasn't me. :-)

Last edited:
The wind yesterday was a challenge for everyone according to friends and strava entries. I did another gravel century, but still limited it to not be dead at the end. Mostly zone 2 then, some zone 3, wee bit of zone 4.

After the ride, all last evening, and even this morning I was reminded that I needed to do more to mitigate the pressure and pain in my wrists. The pain, now, is gone, but the fingers are a little numb. I found the Fizik bar gel strips I bought a while back and spent a part of the morning unwrapping the bar tape, placing the gel pads in the locations I wanted them, and re-wrapping the bar tape.

BwQWY8U.jpg

Last edited:
This morning another fun weekend ride with a big group... About 80 riders. The fast group is anyone climbing 4+ and includes the ebikes some of the young riders and most of the 17s. A few 5+ riders in the group. T and I set a fast pace up the main climb with a couple of riders hanging on to about halfway, then we ride back down to form up on the tail. For us that makes the climb over 2000m. It is great having most of my former fitness back. 30 minutes later the cheerful tail leads our group over the summit. We meet the main group on the other side and ride home together. 120km and 3000m.
Shower, snack, rest, big lunch with the whole crew, I love them all, but it is exhausting, then a relaxing low level reach out and touch a mountain romp in Frankie with one of the girls doing the flying. I show off with a low pass over the hangar and aerobatics when we get back. B with another student on my wing. She will shuttle the girls back to school in the morning.

Last edited:
Old school Mtn Cycle I picked up for some cardio. Turned out crashing this was way worse than any of my dirtbikes.

Not sure why the pic won't load?

Did you upload it to an image-sharing site, or through this forum's upload? I have to imagine that this forum has some limit on size of the pictures uploaded (in KB, possibly 1 gig or whatever). Try saving a copy of the picture, resizing, and making sure it is saved as a JPEG if you can.

The wind yesterday was a challenge for everyone according to friends and strava entries. I did another gravel century, but still limited it to not be dead at the end. Mostly zone 2 then, some zone 3, wee bit of zone 4.

After the ride, all last evening, and even this morning I was reminded that I needed to do more to mitigate the pressure and pain in my wrists. The pain, now, is gone, but the fingers are a little numb. I found the Fizik bar gel strips I bought a while back and spent a part of the morning unwrapping the bar tape, placing the gel pads in the locations I wanted them, and re-wrapping the bar tape.

Too much weight on your hands... Your fit is not right, your hands, wrists are worn out or you are a fatty!:imaposer
Gels will only do so much and not much really. You have a suspension stem? If you can't get the fit right or drop a lot of weight I'd suggest more time on comfort bars.

Seriously, Get rid of the nasty aerobars on your bike. Only two are good for endurance riding IMO.
Profile Designs T4+ that appear to be discontinued. Backwards move by PD if you ask me. If you see them for sale, buy a set.
And Pro Missile.
The key feature of both of these is the separate pads that don't lock you into a single position..
For comfort on those centuries risers to put pads at or just above the seat height.

Just my 0.0000246c worth... :dunno

Too much weight on your hands... Your fit is not right, your hands, wrists are worn out or you are a fatty!:imaposer
Gels will only do so much and not much really. You have a suspension stem? If you can't get the fit right or drop a lot of weight I'd suggest more time on comfort bars.

Seriously, Get rid of the nasty aerobars on your bike. Only two are good for endurance riding IMO.
Profile Designs T4+ that appear to be discontinued. Backwards move by PD if you ask me. If you see them for sale, buy a set.
And Pro Missile.
The key feature of both of these is the separate pads that don't lock you into a single position..
For comfort on those centuries risers to put pads at or just above the seat height.

Just my 0.0000246c worth... :dunno

You are absolutely correct - the height of the pads on these aerobars is too low for the Diverge. The aerobars I have, at least, still take pressure off of my wrists, but I will eventually change them out for a Profile Designs ... design ... with a better fit. I'm not sure that will happen soon though. Thank you for the recommendation. I do like the T4 Carbon PD bars, but like you wrote - not really available.

Reactions: CTG
You are absolutely correct - the height of the pads on these aerobars is too low for the Diverge. The aerobars I have, at least, still take pressure off of my wrists, but I will eventually change them out for a Profile Designs ... design ... with a better fit. I'm not sure that will happen soon though. Thank you for the recommendation. I do like the T4 Carbon PD bars, but like you wrote - not really available.

The Pro bars in the link are readily available. Carbon or alloy doesn't matter, especially to the flatlander. It is only the extension. Really, there is almost no difference between PD and Pro bars.

The thing I need to check is whether the Profile Designs risers will fit Pro bars. The only dimension that is different is bolt spacing, Everything else is the same. I just can't recall ever using those spacers and bars together.

Last edited:
The Pro bars in the link are readily available. Carbon or alloy doesn't matter, especially to the flatlander. It is only the extension. Really, there is almost no difference between PD and Pro bars.

The thing I need to check is whether the Profile Designs risers will fit Pro bars. The only dimension that is different is bolt spacing, Everything else is the same. I just can't recall ever using those spacers and bars together.

I attempted to buy the Pro bars from three different sites last evening. All three refused at one stage or another when it realized they were to be shipped to the USA. Couldn't do it for legal reasons was what the last site told me.

I attempted to buy the Pro bars from three different sites last evening. All three refused at one stage or another when it realized they were to be shipped to the USA. Couldn't do it for legal reasons was what the last site told me.

That is interesting. US sites? Probably an anti-competitive exclusivity deal. I believe Pro is a Shimano company and they don't like international sales.

One in stock here.

That is interesting. US sites? Probably an anti-competitive exclusivity deal. I believe Pro is a Shimano company and they don't like international sales.

One in stock here.

Thank you. I went through the steps to order the set, even though the price was outrageous (I'm paying $221 when through Sigma Sports they are only £89.00 https://www.sigmasports.com/item/PRO/Missile-Alloy-S-Bend-Clip-On-Bars/J2RX ), but the choices in shipping days fooled me. Sure, get it to me in 3 to 8 days would work. But only after the order did it tell me that they guessed the aero bars would not show up until November. So now I'm trying to cancel that order.

Top Bottom Back Refresh