What's new

Bicycle thread

The weight I totalled the most parts was 112-135lbs basically 12- 23 yrs old. The lighter I was the more shit I broke. Ha I am a corn fed steel draggin hoss now and I dont break anything..but rear wheels

I ride E bikes with a small group of former expert level motocross riders at a couple of riding areas that are basically motocross tracks with trees cut into a hillside.
To Christine’s point about jump design. To a rider they dislike the steep face angle that seems to be the norm on all the jumps. The design seems to encourage elevation over distance.
It’s not a big problem for me, as I try my best to keep at least one wheel on the ground at all times.
They tolerate me tagging along as it gives them a chance to bull sh@t while they wait for me.

There were four of us this morning. 110km in 3.5 hours. It was a fast pace in the mountains and we didn't have to wait for each other.

I needed to be somewhere for a meeting and flew out with a glider student in the front seat. The Frankenstang is bonus time. A lot of students start in Frankie because that is what I want to fly and before they even get a student licence they can fly and land a 5t taildragger like a pro. Better than a pro! Approach and landings are scored at our destination. Always hands on visual approaches if the weather allows. You'd be surprised how many forget when they start flying commercial. 9.3 stabilised approach and 9.6 3 pointer on the numbers and roll out on the line... and the highest score on the board.
We park outside operations where a small crowd has gathered, slide down the wing and do the walk. It is always the same. My student starts feeling self conscious with all eyes falling on her. I make a joke about the crowd in Ukrainian and she starts laughing and feeling a lot better. Then we are rescued by the operations manager who comes out to meet us. I have a couple of hours of pain while she is entertained. So jealous!

About 38 yrs ago I was given a "Whitewings" kit....the original! With 60 pgs of aero theory. I assemble the flying wing. The day I chased the plane riding thermals for over a min was gold. I eventually designed and flew my own designs..but the wing was the best. Rode in a glider a few years later. Very fond memories. For sure..now I kinda want to chase the wing boarding thing! I still think bicycles were my gateway....

I was crawling around in restoration projects before I could walk. About 25 years ago my father strapped me into the front seat of a Nimbus 4 with a packet of M&Ms... My course was set. The aircraft ended up being named M&M and became a right off when I was 13. Dad and I rebuilt it in the experimental category a few years later. Glider and paraglider when I was 16, PPG more recently. Even tried para sailing. Commercial in fixed and rotary wing, test pilot school and I am current in L39 and F5. I have a passion for anything that flies. Aerobatic to transport. Dad was a warbird enthusiast and I inherited those along with a few odd birds. I was heavily involved in the construction of Frankie during my teens and now I continue his work.

Bicycles... because I was unfit when I was 15...

Last edited:
I rode bicycles everyday from 5-16yrs old. Started racing when I was 9 and retired by 12 due to costs. Skateboarding started and the freestyle craze left the local shop with affordable parts. So we all started street riding on heavy bikes/boards and gave up jumping as much. At 16yrs old I got a gs750l and motorcycle life started. I always went back to bicycles. The stunt life transitioned to wakeboarding/wakeskating through my 20s. And this where the injury list went insane. But most somewhat healed and I still do all the same stupid shit 20yrs later....just not everyday

BMX and unicycle are the main modes of transport around the house and buildings. No stunting around the buildings though. Girls understand and glide around... as intended. Sometimes I catch boys breaking the rules. Yes, boys. This house has never hosted boys. For over a century the house was a girls school... with nuns... never boys. It seems unnatural. I've never had to deal with them and don't really. I think I scare them and a little stink eye goes a long way. :imaposer

Setting up a bike tonight, I remembered that guy (I am being polite here lol) and his spirit level and fell on the floor laughing.

In today's episode another 110km and no bicycles were harmed.

Ha I was looking at unicycles today

I have the 24" model and added a disk brake and Chester pedals. My first and it has been great for learning. I followed Ridge (he has the same) on advr with this and have not regretted it.

BTW, I went over backwards in a lala moment and the back of my head had a very close call with a concrete step. Two huge lumps. It could have been much worse. Moral of the story is always wear a helmet on a unicycle.

Last edited:
Ha I was looking at unicycles today

Wheels just for fun...

i-CtQVg5J-XL.jpg

I would like to own a trials bicycle and be able to ride a unicycle.
I’m pretty sure I would have fun on the first and get hurt on the second.

I can get hurt on both. I ride mototrials competition and use the bicycle as indoor winter training. It is extremely weird and different from any other type of conventional bike.

The girls are home for the weekend and this morning we do a ride with newer riders. Three laps inside the walls, one climb. Easy ride for some of us, we do it to encourage.

Friday another group of women who were front line in the Ukrainian military and injured arrived to recover. Most have undergone multiple surgeries. Many brought with them children and their parents and we spent the weekend welcoming and getting them settled.

I can get hurt on both. I ride mototrials competition and use the bicycle as indoor winter training. It is extremely weird and different from any other type of conventional bike.
We don’t really “do” winter around here, so I ride my Beta year round.
If you could ride your moto outdoors do you think you would still gain from riding the bicycle.

Beta and E Freeride and for messing around. bmx and unicycle are balance exercises and not much else with trials motorcycles.

Last edited:
We don’t really “do” winter around here, so I ride my Beta year round.
If you could ride your moto outdoors do you think you would still gain from riding the bicycle.

If you can ride your moto bike year round, or can't play with it in your yard, because of noise (yes I know they are quieter than a lawn mower, but some neighbors are assholes), I would say don't bother with a trials bicycle, unless you specifically want to train for riding bike trials. On the other hand the unicycle really goes a long way on improving your overall balance. And you can always practice balancing and hopping around on any old bicycle. I will say the trials bicycle always brings lots of attention anytime I take it out in public, because nobody out of the sport has ever seen anything like it before.

Top Bottom Back Refresh