What's new

Bicycle thread

Well, I spent the night with a sickly 5yo puking on me, and a 3yo in this forum pooping on me for a helicopter comment in this thread months ago. The grudge must have been eating him up. The latest thing is I am a misandrist and an elitist rofl. She's okay now, but I don't think there is a cure for his ailment. When I got out it was for a fairly lively 80km with #1 daughter and her group. It was refreshing.
This afternoon three hours flying with one of the students.

I can't laze around all day either. Not the beach, not my bed. I lay down I sleep, when I am awake I get up. Even this forum is like laying around . I need to be doing something else at the same time.

Not sure who it is, but ignore the child.

Reactions: CTG
Not sure who it is, but ignore the child.

It is too much fun. Seriously, most of my friends, the cook, the gardener... we can argue in ways people will think there is no coming back from, but the next day it is forgotten. That is the rule. I tried with ZP, I tried with others way back.
Some success. My user title is courtesy of Fullmonte... You were banned at the time and missed the fun. It was a ripper argument over some overly colourful references and that was the insult, but hey.... it really was too good to waste! He understood and didn't hold a grudge and we got along really well afterwards. I certainly like him... always have.
I cannot abide... I was using it in my signature. For a long time I couldn't figure out where I picked that up, then I saw it. It was on your profile page. I cannot abide the pissy passive aggressive nonsense some people indulge themselves in. Of course I am going to either insult or mock them.

I was completely spent last night. I was in the back seat with a 16 year old in the front doing the flying. I fell asleep and didn't wake up until after we landed. A good landing by all accounts. I shovelled food down my throat and was asleep again within an hour. I woke up again at about 2am with #3 and #4 munchkins plus the little leg humper (a JRT) snuggled in beside me. I didn't stay in bed long and went in search of food tripping over the bodies of my daughter and her friends through my rooms. Cook is good to me and put something in my fridge while I was asleep. Chicken something and a fresh pot of jumbalaia. It wasn't long before the little ones were at the counter. They are adorable. Then the 17-18 yo started wandering in. Did I mention it was a big pot of jumbalaia. .. lol

We'll be going for a ride in an hour or so.

Last edited:
It is too much fun. Seriously, most of my friends, the cook, the gardener... we can argue in ways people will think there is no coming back from, but the next day it is forgotten. That is the rule. I tried with Z, I tried with others way back.
Some success. My user title is courtesy of Fullmonte... You were banned at the time and missed the fun. It was a ripper argument over some overly colourful references and that was the insult, but hey.... it really was too good to waste! He understood and didn't hold a grudge and we got along really well afterwards. I certainly like him... always have.
I cannot abide... I was using it in my signature. For a long time I couldn't figure out where I picked that up, then I saw it. It was on your profile page. I cannot abide the pissy passive aggressive nonsense some people indulge themselves in. Of course I am going to either insult or mock them.
:D

Rain low and snow high this morning. Both at home. There wasn't too much enthusiasm and only a handful of us started. They'll do a track session this afternoon. If it is a dedicated one hour hammerfest I might join them. During shared sessions the fast riders are always above the stayer's line. During dedicated sessions we use the whole track. Riders can be more aggressive and it is faster. Not a race, we work together for speeed.

Dave, further to your comments elsewhere, there are no fragile egos here, riders learn. It has been my experience that some A riders create a lot of problems for less experienced riders. I'll get dirty with the rider who should know better.

Weather is yucky enough that the runway will be closed this afternoon through at least tomorrow morning. B is moving aircraft around now so we can get the girls back to school in the morning,

I'm in the city for three days this week and taking T and maybe Z. T and I plan to join morning lake hammerfests. This is when i bring out bikes like Colnago Concept or Aeroad with disk wheel. The rides become insanely fast in traffic and while T and I are not strong enough to drive the pace we can mix with these guys.

Last edited:
I thought I might get a chance to ride the fat bike in the snow last week. But while we did have snow down to sea level here, it wasn’t quite cold enough to stick on the sand dunes.
It did snow enough to make a real mess though. Our coastal trees just aren’t engineered for snow load.
Our moto club has worked about 120 man days ( people days? ) since the first of the year clearing wind damaged trees off our trail system. We just finished last weekend. Think two foot diameter trees snapped off or uprooted.
Now it looks like we start over clearing snow damage. Snow usually only breaks off the softwood trees so they tend to be safer to cut.

I imagine a snow covered tropical beach lol.

Post ride yesterday - sunny enough to look like snow :beer

Hw0EJwY.jpg

I imagine a snow covered tropical beach lol.
That would be Richards end of the state. In my version of California we have spruce and redwood trees.
The nice part of our area is the weather is just blah enough that not that many people want to live up here.

Last edited:
CTG Thanks to the aero bars you found for me, my first all-road ride on the gravel bike was at an OK average speed. Granted, I did see the groups I used to ride with, and luckily was not caught by them, but for the pure road-bike riders I did catch / pass, some of their eyes got big at the gravel bike being out there speeding along. One solo fast rider from the opposite side even stared at it - I guess those who know what the wider tires are for recognize it at a distance.

Ignore the 30.1 mph top speed - that was on the down-side of a intra-coastal bridge... ain't no way I'm hitting 30 MPH with the gravel bike on the flats, lol. Notable was the weight of the tools I keep in the downtube storage compartment; didn't really feel it until the uphill grades, then the total weight of the bike and gear became really noticeable that I couldn't hold speeds as high as I used to on the road bike.

yriom5m.jpg

qPB3lic.jpg

Snow on the monastery is not unusual but this year it has been reaching the main house 300m lower. It melts as soon as the sun touches it. This year snow ploughs have been used on the top roads and near the top of the mountain ploughs have cut 2-3m deep. It is a first because the roads were surfaced only in the last couple of years. Same conditions outside the gates.

This is a quiet area with normally low population. The population of the farm village is now more than nearby villages and has services, modern amenities, shops, clinic and (UA language) school. It is shiny and new and still under construction. Some things only here and in the interests of harmony and integration the farm village is open to local communities. Cars are not allowed past the gate, only the pedestrian gate is open so ride a bike or walk the last kilometre. Initially many visitors were curious because the gates have never been open to them before. Now there are many people who ride their bike up the hill to do their daily shopping or use the gym or buy a coffee or meal. On the weekends there are more visitors. There have been many positive comments about the exclusion of cars.

Dave, it's great those aerobars are working for you.

I dislike too much rolling resistance of heavy gravel tyres with lots of internal friction. Lead boots don't last five minutes with me. Early covid lockdown (2020) roads at home weren't paved yet and I was riding gravel because I had no choice. I ended up tuning to 35-40mm fine tread that rolled fairly well on the road. Slicks work on gravel too - for a lightweight like me at least. Fastest laps ever recorded were on my K10 with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One. Not just me, several riders.
My Wilier Rave is either road or gravel. It is a bike I really like as an allrounder and winter bike. I set it up with road group (Campy SR EPS) and 35mm Pro One or Corsa N.EXT tyres and a second set of wheels with G-One. Current 28mm tyres are still faster on most road surfaces, but 35mm is more confident in winter and looks right in that frame. I don't lose too much with 35mm or 40mm G-One Allround tyres. I wouldn't be doing 30mph on the flat either, not on those tyres. 25...

Snow on the monastery is not unusual but this year it has been reaching the main house 300m lower. It melts as soon as the sun touches it. This year snow ploughs have been used on the top roads and near the top of the mountain ploughs have cut 2-3m deep. It is a first because the roads were surfaced only in the last couple of years. Same conditions outside the gates.

This is a quiet area with normally low population. The population of the farm village is now more than nearby villages and has services, modern amenities, shops, clinic and (UA language) school. It is shiny and new and still under construction. Some things only here and in the interests of harmony and integration the farm village is open to local communities. Cars are not allowed past the gate, only the pedestrian gate is open so ride a bike or walk the last kilometre. Initially many visitors were curious because the gates have never been open to them before. Now there are many people who ride their bike up the hill to do their daily shopping or use the gym or buy a coffee or meal. On the weekends there are more visitors. There have been many positive comments about the exclusion of cars.

Really seems like an idyllic place. Maybe we should come visit with our bicycles.

---------

I really don't usually ride extreme gravel. In fact, I believe the gravel we have around here can be what is apparently termed "hero gravel" by the real gravel riders in Kansas and Missouri. Depends on the conditions, and if they have graded it - it gets worse for weeks after being graded. But don't tell anyone in the forums that that's why my average speed is higher on the gravel :D

But at my age and weight (52, up to about 190 now! dang it), and with my body having been beat up by demolition construction and just a few MTB wrecks (inner knees are shot from a 1999 MTB wreck - tried pickleball two months ago and seriously considered getting a handicapped placard for my car after that, but the internal swelling has come down a lot now), I want the comfort of shock absorption out on the gravel. I don't believe that any rigid carbon frame - with any specially designed carbon weave for comfort - can match the ride quality of 42c gravel tires that are around 24 psi front, 30 rear. It's also why I'm running a suspension seatpost - just to protect the back a little more. I might even be getting a Selle Italia gravel specific saddle to see if I can get more comfort out of it. That's the "SLR BOOST GRAVEL TI316 SUPERFLOW" in the wider width. Granted, part of that comfort level comes from the weight I'm carrying around. If I was down at what I consider slim - 183 pounds, 182 at the extreme (that's what I was at when at my strongest when I was road riding) - my butt and back would probably be better off, and my tires may not need to be as wide to get the comfort out of.

I do like the Specialized gravel tires with the thin road-strip in the middle - that's what I run, and what I suggest most run. Here in the states a lot of people are always chasing the better gravel tire, and you'll find them feeling superior on brands like Schwalbe - that is, feeling superior, but ALWAYS complaining about aspects of their new tires that seem to be manufacturing discrepancies. That just doesn't happen with the Specialized Pathfinders. Of all the folks I know of, and folks I meet, who run them, nobody has ever had an issue like the issues that always pop up on the boutique brands' gravel tires.

Last edited:
It is my home and it is a business. Home is too big and expensive and needs to pay for itself. The people make it what it is.

I put some air in my tyres and I am less than two thirds of one of you and I don't rely on tyres for suspension. Tyres as suspension are horribly inefficient and unresponsive.

I thought you had suspension seatpost and stem anyway...

Who is feeling superior? lol. Specialized has had its share of problems. I don't care too much about brands. I'd prefer European brands, but they are all owned by the same multinational types and made in the same sweat shops in Asia built to the same standard tyo minimise cost and maximise profit and with the same standard of quality control (as low as they can get away with) so it means nothing.

Last edited:
It is my home and it is a business. Home is too big and expensive and needs to pay for itself. The people make it what it is.

I put some air in my tyres and I am less than two thirds of one of you and I don't rely on tyres for suspension. Tyres as suspension are horribly inefficient and unresponsive.

I thought you had suspension seatpost and stem anyway...

Who is feeling superior? lol. Specialized has had its share of problems. I don't care too much about brands. I'd prefer European brands, but they are all owned by the same multinational types and made in the same sweat shops in Asia built to the same standard tyo minimise cost and maximise profit and with the same standard of quality control (as low as they can get away with) so it means nothing.

You'd have to meet the Americans who play around with trying to get the perfect gravel tire. You'd understand the superior nature of these folks who don't have reliable, but do have Gucci, tires. To the extent that it is up to debate if the european branded tires you folks get are really the same ones the Americans get. If so, you'd all be on Specialized gravel tires for gravel, and Conti GP's for the road bikes. All the others have too many failure modes is what I've seen.

The suspension seatpost is set up stiff to take out the bigger hits - that can't be soft as it would hurt pedaling efficiency. Tires being low pressure take out the typical gravel frequencies. The bike does have a suspension seatpost, but that's the added bit I needed on top of a low pressure front tire.

Of note - You may consider my opinion on suspension, frames, and tires to be incorrect, but Trek changed their entire Domane line based off of what I have believed to be true for the last five years or so. They got rid of their front suspension contraption due to tires getting bigger and ding a better job of being 'suspension.' 2:17 mark in this review:

Last edited:
I do like the Specialized gravel tires with the thin road-strip in the middle - that's what I run, and what I suggest most run. Here in the states a lot of people are always chasing the better gravel tire, and you'll find them feeling superior on brands like Schwalbe - that is, feeling superior, but ALWAYS complaining about aspects of their new tires that seem to be manufacturing discrepancies. That just doesn't happen with the Specialized Pathfinders. Of all the folks I know of, and folks I meet, who run them, nobody has ever had an issue like the issues that always pop up on the boutique brands' gravel tires.
You'd have to meet the Americans who play around with trying to get the perfect gravel tire. You'd understand the superior nature of these folks who don't have reliable, but do have Gucci, tires. To the extent that it is up to debate if the european branded tires you folks get are really the same ones the Americans get. If so, you'd all be on Specialized gravel tires for gravel, and Conti GP's for the road bikes. All the others have too many failure modes is what I've seen.
[Cough] Bullshit [/Cough]

That is all... carry on.

BRR_Gravel-Chart.PNG

BRR_Gravel-Weight.PNG

BRR_Gravel-RR.PNG

TerraSpd.jpg

ContiTerra.jpg

[Cough] Bullshit [/Cough]

That is all... carry on.

BRR_Gravel-Chart.PNG

BRR_Gravel-Weight.PNG

BRR_Gravel-RR.PNG

TerraSpd.jpg

ContiTerra.jpg

Perfect example of the ilk who would use them. Comes out of the woodwork for one post. :lol3 Thank you!

Schwalbe have been nothing but problems for the folks I know who have spent the cash on them. The comical thing is that they'll tell you to your face of the strange occurrences they've had with them, and they will still deny that there is anything wrong with them or their whimsical tire choices. It is the strangest thing.

Perfect example of the ilk who would use them. Comes out of the woodwork for one post. :lol3 Thank you!

Schwalbe have been nothing but problems for the folks I know who have spent the cash on them. The comical thing is that they'll tell you to your face of the strange occurrences they've had with them, and they will still deny that there is anything wrong with them or their whimsical tire choices. It is the strangest thing.

You know I take my gravel selections very seriously and I am here to tell you that the Conti Terra Speed and Schwalbe RS are legit fast, tough gravel tires. Both have been race tested from the gravel roads of North Carolina, Virginia, Kansas, Colorado, and Nebraska...

Ummm... Ridge?
In another life...

Top Bottom Back Refresh