What's new

Bicycle thread

One odd thing I noticed yesterday was riding on the drops I could see the front axel in front of my bars. This an old school indicator the stem is short, or the seat is pushed too far forward.

Now, I've had some spinal compression and loss of height from about 5'10" down 5'7.74", or about 172cm now. That seems to have changed a bit. I'm guessing stretching is working some of the non-structural stuff. My current stem is a 100mm and it looks like a 110 or maybe 120 would be more fitting. I had a 130 at one point when racing back in the day. This is a longer top tubed design I'm riding than the old racing geometry Pinarello. That old steel bike was a 57cm frame where this is a 54.

I'm not ready to begin a stem search. I'm certain that would be closing in on around $200 given I'd need to source it from the not so LBS.
That's great that stretching is doing something noticeable.

As I was reading this, it seemed you were writing about a proprietary stem with cables/brake-lines inside of it or something. The following pictures seem to show an old-school stem that could easily be replaced with a $17 stem just to try a new length / angle. So I'm confused as to why it would be a tiring search for a stem, and a $200 cost at that.

A wax convert! :rayof

I thought the same, lol.

Last night I spent an hour or so on the trainer in Zwift feeling horrible. This morning going through the data I got the idea to check my PM. Sure enough 70W offset against me. I strangled T in her sleep! :lol3

Now that's a LOL! :rofl

Reactions: CTG
That's great that stretching is doing something noticeable.

As I was reading this, it seemed you were writing about a proprietary stem with cables/brake-lines inside of it or something. The following pictures seem to show an old-school stem that could easily be replaced with a $17 stem just to try a new length / angle. So I'm confused as to why it would be a tiring search for a stem, and a $200 cost at that.

I thought the same, lol.

Now that's a LOL! :rofl
I know the angle I want and I'm thinking the length is known or close. LBS will have an array at the fitment station. I just need to decide to burn the time. I like the shop, they have always had at least four people working in the shop area when I've been there. Two or three helping out in the front.
And my further inspection find of this being a 90mm stem points to an easy solution. The Specialized stem/bar setup is trick, but $600. I'll wait for the next full bike before making that jump.
The closest shops to me within a couple of blocks both are either Trek, (mostly e-bikes, MTB's and department store style stuff), the other store is a very small shop. Mostly MTB's. The shop I would ride to is on a route I've used before so, I just need to set the time aside to ride by and stop. Some warm day this winter I'll make it happen.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/cart.php Anybody have any feedback oaths place? Wheels?
10-speed, or 11-speed with spacer which is what the Roval wheels are. They are also aero-ish. 40mm deep V-shaped.
radial front and static side.
Rim brakes and QR. These in the link are tubeless compatible. So, I'd get slightly modern. Hahaha

Maybe for wheel replacement. I lost another spoke this morning on the group ride. Maybe ten miles from home. I rode it home. Off totes LBS for another $30 replacement.

My thinking is wheels would extend the life of the bike another couple years. And yes, I forgot to check into a stem, but I'll remember when I go back. I might get the wheel back Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

reenshot%202023-12-10%20at%201.09.39%E2%80%AFPM-X2.png

Very cold ride down to North Beach then up to Dana Point this morning, but dressed just fine for the rest of the day. I was feeling strong enough to chase a few times and pull some. And had been planning to continue to ride after we got back to the start point and get a gran fondo in. A good bit go group riding help on the front end would not have gone to waste.

With the spoke breaking that plan went in the bin. Today's route ran right past the house, so I pulled in and ran the wheel to the LBS.

IMG_5181-X2.jpg

IMG_5185-X2.jpg

Good fast group today. It was brisk in the shade. Out in the sun was perfect weather but for the breeze that made fro extra work.

If you handed me that wheel a second time in as many weeks I'd be replacing all the spokes. That is me though.

For replacement wheels I'd recommend these:

These have DT 350 hubs with Ratchet 36 SL system. It is a very similar design to the benchmark 240 hubs. Aerocomp straight pull spokes. Tubeless rims are already taped and all the bits are in the box. At an affordable price.

FWIW, I fit the disk GR version to my steel and Ti bikes and the same wheel and R23 predecessor on earlier bikes. I am yet to find a better OTS alloy wheel.

If you want those wheels best move quickly though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I checked the spokes on the front wheel this morning. All corroded at the thread/rim end. I also looked up buying enough spokes to replace them all. About the same as buying the new wheel set. Straight pull spokes in the lengths I need seem pricey from online. Finding them in bulk, i.e. 300 count per length at about $.95 per, so pretty speedy stuff. When I only need 32 of one length and 12 of another. I'll probably just buy wheels because the latest pricing I see on the F7 is closer to $9K.

Now, I need some breakfast. And think on things.

Wheels on order. CTG Thanks for the tip.

Got an email this morning that my wheels have shipped from Blighty. Now, we wait some more.

Repaired wheel is supposed to be completed today. Likely end of the day type thing.

Also got yet another pile of "Sale" emails form Pro's Closet. A couple of bikes were close fits, but no winner.

Yet. I figure I can be picky as I want when buying.

The repaired wheel works. Got out for 2:30 today.

I had to fiddle the tension in the rear mech to get clean shifting. Every time anybody touches that rear cluster, my shifting is off.

IMG_5232-X2.jpg

Chilly out there.

Saturday's was another all grades no drop city and coastal group ride. More of a Z1 social outing for some of us, we enjoy and make the most of that to catch up. Mid ride break for coffee and sandwiches. That was about 60km. Getting to and from the ride was where we hammered. About an hour each way and we arrived at the start of the ride steaming. On the ride home we pick up a few riders on the shallow climb out of the city to the base of the Norton Summit ascent. There is a segment used in the TdU for the ITT. 5.5km and 280m. Fine Saturday mornings bring out a lot of riders on certain climbs. This is one. Our pace was 5.6+. We drop the extras and every rider on the road in front of us becomes a target. We turn south at the top towards the highest point in the ranges. 700m msl. A little up and down along the way. We reached 92kph in a little down. Most of the rest from the Summit is downhill. A couple of bumps, we hammer those at 7+.
132km total. More than two hours Z1-ish, two more in Z4. Before and after rides averaged 95% of FTP. Five 10s intervals over 1000W. It was a productive morning. 3MJ work done, 12MJ of food energy burnt so we had a big lunch.
Weather is warming up again and we finished the ride soaked. The long kit doesn't help. Sun protection has a price. Some people think we are bonkers. Well, maybe...

Got a flat yesterday on my return to North Beach. Weird soft thing. Only a mile from home, so I rode it home. When I pulled the tube out I found nothing. Pumped it back to full pressure and it seemed to hold, but checking it a half hour later it was flat again. Not completely flat but maybe 25psi.

Pulled the tube again and checked again. Nothing in the tube or tires. Pulled the stem and reseated it. Put a new tube in and left the one I pulled with a soft inflation overnight.
Tire is fine this morning, but the old tube is soft. Still have not found the leak. I suspect the stem.

Anyway, yesterday was just shy of 3 hours on the bike. Some more good efforts, more exploring and some additional climbing. Nothing big, but good work.

IMG_5241-X2.jpg

We got a bit of warmer weather until later this week when the prediction says rain.
Tracking for the new wheels say Christmas Day.

Saturday's was another all grades no drop city and coastal group ride. More of a Z1 social outing for some of us, we enjoy and make the most of that to catch up. Mid ride break for coffee and sandwiches. That was about 60km. Getting to and from the ride was where we hammered. About an hour each way and we arrived at the start of the ride steaming. On the ride home we pick up a few riders on the shallow climb out of the city to the base of the Norton Summit ascent. There is a segment used in the TdU for the ITT. 5.5km and 280m. Fine Saturday mornings bring out a lot of riders on certain climbs. This is one. Our pace was 5.6+. We drop the extras and every rider on the road in front of us becomes a target. We turn south at the top towards the highest point in the ranges. 700m msl. A little up and down along the way. We reached 92kph in a little down. Most of the rest from the Summit is downhill. A couple of bumps, we hammer those at 7+.
132km total. More than two hours Z1-ish, two more in Z4. Before and after rides averaged 95% of FTP. Five 10s intervals over 1000W. It was a productive morning. 3MJ work done, 12MJ of food energy burnt so we had a big lunch.
Weather is warming up again and we finished the ride soaked. The long kit doesn't help. Sun protection has a price. Some people think we are bonkers. Well, maybe...

That's quite a ride.

Maybe ... maybe... I could be OK with zone 1 riding for 60km no, no I couldn't if the rest of the ride was a hammer pace.

Z1 becomes so uncomfortable after ten miles. I don't want to write 'painful,' but it's something along those lines.
----------------------------

We had another rained-out weekend here - so when a used truck client wanted to send his guys to pick up the three trucks he bought on a Saturday morning, I was almost happy to show up on the weekend. Still threatening flooding (which came late - instead of Saturday we got that heavy rain Saturday night, crazy lightning too, multiple power outages), I took the old pickup truck I bought for the dog and bikes just in case the water was high.

Gosh, I love driving a vehicle that people generally stay the hell away from, lol. The exterior will keep the aesthetic unless the company tells me that I have to take what is left of the logo wrap off. I did lower the rear a little, but now see that it could use a further 2" drop front and rear.

2xQEisJ.jpg

Mko640b.jpg

Last edited:
That's quite a ride.

Maybe ... maybe... I could be OK with zone 1 riding for 60km no, no I couldn't if the rest of the ride was a hammer pace.

Z1 becomes so uncomfortable after ten miles. I don't want to write 'painful,' but it's something along those lines.
----------------------------

We had another rained-out weekend here - so when a used truck client wanted to send his guys to pick up the three trucks he bought on a Saturday morning, I was almost happy to show up on the weekend. Still threatening flooding (which came late - instead of Saturday we got that heavy rain Saturday night, crazy lightning too, multiple power outages), I took the old pickup truck I bought for the dog and bikes just in case the water was high.

Gosh, I love driving a vehicle that people generally stay the hell away from, lol. The exterior will keep the aesthetic unless the company tells me that I have to take what is left of the logo wrap off. I did lower the rear a little, but now see that it could use a further 2" drop front and rear.

2xQEisJ.jpg

Mko640b.jpg

You have trouble riding easy (Z1) in a big social group? That can be fun too. Catching up with people I haven't seen for a few years.

I notice you didn't call yours a "truck" in the presence of actual trucks lol.

That's quite a ride.

2xQEisJ.jpg
[/FONT]

Mko640b.jpg
That mack truck looks tough!

I notice you didn't call yours a "truck" in the presence of actual trucks lol.

There's this weird dichotomy in America - or at least here in south Florida. Unlike the small-penis-energy guys who drive around in as big of pickup trucks as they can afford, the most successful big-truck salesmen - the ones who sell, lease, and play with the big heavy-duty and severe-duty trucks - drive the most demure cars.

The most successful big-truck Leasing Sales guy I know, who I heard about for five years before I ever worked at the same company as he, drives this little old 2010 Toyota Tercel with a rusted roof around to his clients. Likewise, the most successful truck salesman in all of Palm Beach county drives a cleaner 2014 Toyota Tercel. Both of these guys are low-end millionaires. The multi-millionaire truck salesman I work with out of this location took a cue from me with my hybrid, and he bought a smaller new BMW hybrid last year.

Me, I come from loving pickup trucks, and get tired of being cramped in the car - but the hybrid car is what allowed me to afford a project truck. For $1,500 and my time, and a bunch of parts (one of the most common pickup trucks ever sold with tons of 'em still on the road with huge miles on them - so parts are stupid cheap), I'm enjoying it.

I've never owned a pickup truck. Though an old used Dodge was almost my first car. When I needed a truck I rented it. I've never owned a high performance car, but I've owned a minivan, that my motorcycle would fit inside of and I could tuck two hardtail MTB's behind the third row seats, after pulling the front wheels. Ten bicycles would fit the roof racks.
The current and hopefully last car is this Tesla Model Y Long Range. Works fine as a box that moves. Costs around $3 - $5 to charge overnight at home from around 50% to around 80 to 100%. Depending on what out plans are the next day.
receiver mounted bike rack is still to be used.

Anyway. my wheels arrived yesterday afternoon. I installed them with no drama. They look fine. A bit wider than the Rovals they replace, but lighter.

IMG_5276-X2.jpg

IMG_5277-X2.jpg

IMG_5280-X2.jpg

These rims are tubeless ready and came with tubeless stems in a bag. I don't have any tubeless tires or goo or tools for adding goo. It will be a while before I do since I have two spare tires that are also not tubeless.

I've never owned a pickup truck. Though an old used Dodge was almost my first car. When I needed a truck I rented it. I've never owned a high performance car, but I've owned a minivan, that my motorcycle would fit inside of and I could tuck two hardtail MTB's behind the third row seats, after pulling the front wheels. Ten bicycles would fit the roof racks.
The current and hopefully last car is this Tesla Model Y Long Range. Works fine as a box that moves. Costs around $3 - $5 to charge overnight at home from around 50% to around 80 to 100%. Depending on what out plans are the next day.
receiver mounted bike rack is still to be used.

Anyway. my wheels arrived yesterday afternoon. I installed them with no drama. They look fine. A bit wider than the Rovals they replace, but lighter.

IMG_5276-X2.jpg

IMG_5277-X2.jpg

IMG_5280-X2.jpg

These rims are tubeless ready and came with tubeless stems in a bag. I don't have any tubeless tires or goo or tools for adding goo. It will be a while before I do since I have two spare tires that are also not tubeless.

The wheels look the part.

WRT 11s derailleurs. They don't have the same pull ratio as 10s. Shimano changed the pull ratio for 10s Tiagra to the same as 11s to really mess things up.

But... If it ever gets to that an 11s gear group and crank is not a huge amount of money.

105 is an upgrade over old Ultegra...

rabbit-hole-1-768x512.jpg

:imaposer

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh