What's new

Bicycle thread

100% Riding indoor sucks. That’s why I suffer on a silly fat bike in sub Arctic Canadian winter temperatures. Because even that is better then riding a bike that doesn’t go anywhere.
I meant "really" riding the rollers. But I guess if I person is still recovering from a bone injury, launching off a set of rollers might not be the best plan.

I meant "really" riding the rollers. But I guess if I person is still recovering from a bone injury, launching off a set of rollers might not be the best plan.
Years ago I had a set of rollers. Had a few inside crashes getting board and trying bunny hops and stuff.I now know road “cyclists” that never ride outside. Just on a trainer hooked up tu a video game machine. It’s weird…………….

Years ago I had a set of rollers. Had a few inside crashes getting board and trying bunny hops and stuff.I now know road “cyclists” that never ride outside. Just on a trainer hooked up tu a video game machine. It’s weird…………….
I "jumped" off mine once, left a huge black burn stripe on the rug & a nasty smell of burnt rubber!

Totally agree. But I don’t want responsibility for suggesting that to a guy recovering from time in a cast already…😎

I better go check out the rower thread again, seem safer than indoor biking.

So I've been debating getting something to replace my Cannondale Hybrid but I think it really suits my need of bumming around town and the occasional long journey down the local rails to trail. My problem is it rides rough. Can I put taller and or more aggressive tires on it to smooth things out?
Brake clearance
PXL_20220327_121202662.jpg

Current tire size
PXL_20220327_121309777.jpg

So I've been debating getting something to replace my Cannondale Hybrid but I think it really suits my need of bumming around town and the occasional long journey down the local rails to trail. My problem is it rides rough. Can I put taller and or more aggressive tires on it to smooth things out?
Brake clearance
PXL_20220327_121202662.jpg

Current tire size
PXL_20220327_121309777.jpg

You should be good to go up to 38mm, at least, maybe 42mm. The narrow rim might limit going much further. What do you weigh and what kind of pressure are you running in the 32mm tires? Thick sidewall, flat proof tires tend to ride pretty harsh.

Last edited:
You should be good to go up to 38mm, at least, maybe 42mm. The narrow rim might limit going much further. What do you weigh and what kind of pressure are you running in the 28mm tires? Thick sidewall, flat proof tires tend to ride pretty harsh.

220# wet. I probably had the higher end of the limit, 70? psi the last time I rode it. I didn't want to break a rim on a bump so that led me to the higher end.

220# wet. I probably had the higher end of the limit, 70? psi the last time I rode it. I didn't want to break a rim on a bump so that led me to the higher end.

70psi is in the ballpark of correct. You might be ok dropping it by 10psi.

Here is a tire pressure calculator.

This calculator asks for some different specs

Last edited:
You should be good to go up to 38mm, at least, maybe 42mm. The narrow rim might limit going much further. What do you weigh and what kind of pressure are you running in the 28mm tires? Thick sidewall, flat proof tires tend to ride pretty harsh.
I run 38mm Rene Hearse at 38 lbs per their recommendations for my weight. Supreme comfort and no detectable loss of speed whatsoever using both my butt-analysis and according to Strava.

I know Jan Heine is a bit of a mad scientist but I can wholeheartedly recommend his tires.

Last edited:
I run 38mm Rene Hearse at 38 lbs per their recommendations for my weight. Supreme comfort and no detectable loss of speed whatsoever using both my butt-analysis and according to Strava.

I know Jan Heine is a bit of a mad scientist but I can wholeheartedly recommend his tires.

Those look like a good pattern for what I want. The fact that they are priced like dirt bike tires kinda sucks but they aren't made in China so I can dig that.

And next stupid question... Do I need to get tubes to fit the larger size?

And next stupid question... Do I need to get tubes to fit the larger size?

Maybe….. tubes are very stretchy. Your tubes in the 32mm tires are probably ok for up to 42mm. You could be ok with running a tube for a 23mm tire, it will just be stressed a bit. New tubes are cheap insurance.

Specialized has a couple of nice tires for not much money.

Top Bottom Back Refresh