What's new

Bicycle thread

Appreciate the insight , and the post to check out giant.

any pedal bike that have the bars higher than the seat? looks totally rough on the back to be that far forward.
Some bikes are more upright then others old english 3 speeds you sit bolt upright. The more upright the less weight on your hands and the more on your butt. Not always a good thing.

thinking thru this, and the fact we fish at the beach in Galveston, perhaps a fat tire. reviews says this it good to 330#

Mongoose Hitch Mens All-Terrain Fat Tire Mountain Bike, 7 Speed Drivetrain, 26-inch Wheels, 4-Inch Wide Tires, Front and Rear Disc Brakes

1647482281181.png

Any advise for an entry level bike for a big rider to use? I'm gonna need something besides the rower for rehab.

Couple of online reviews says the Bonafide is ok

Schwinn Bonafide Mens Mountain Bike, Front Suspension, 24-Speed, 29-Inch Wheels, 17-Inch Aluminum Frame​

Junk

thinking thru this, and the fact we fish at the beach in Galveston, perhaps a fat tire. reviews says this it good to 330#

Mongoose Hitch Mens All-Terrain Fat Tire Mountain Bike, 7 Speed Drivetrain, 26-inch Wheels, 4-Inch Wide Tires, Front and Rear Disc Brakes
I spend a lot of time on a fat bike ( I ride it all winter). But once the snow is gone I can’t wait to get on a lighter more efficient bicycle. Fat bikes are slow high resistance machines. Still if you don’t mind working hard to go slow it should help with the ankle. They can be ridden on softer surfaces then a MTB. But still have a limitations on floatation and riders power in the soft stuff.
37AD3E67-D447-473B-9454-1AEB9F55A9CE.jpeg

1647482281181.png
The drive train on that fat bike is way over geared for snow or sand.

Ok , junk. got it.

To re-calibrate the search, I am not looking to spend north of $1000 on a high end performance bike that will be ridden for rehab until I can get back on the MC.

Want something to get basic exercise and rehab, will be riding mostly on an extensive paved trail system. This will supplement the Rower

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time on a fat bike ( I ride it all winter). But once the snow is gone I can’t wait to get on a lighter more efficient bicycle. Fat bikes are slow high resistance machines. Still if you don’t mind working hard to go slow it should help with the ankle. They can be ridden on softer surfaces then a MTB. But still have a limitations on floatation and riders power in the soft stuff.
37AD3E67-D447-473B-9454-1AEB9F55A9CE.jpeg
This is good advise, actually going slower is not a problem, added resistance is a plus.

I will never do Hotter than Hell, or Ragbrai. That is not my goal, and thus do not need a High performance ride.

1647518096378.png

The last of my stable. This is for going to the beach with surfboards seeing as the best known surf break these parts is 300 meters from my house. This poor machine gets zero maintenance besides air in the tires. I did try to resurrect the 3 speed but that its it.
IMG_6326-XL.jpg

Reactions: MVI
The drive train on that fat bike is way over geared for snow or sand.

Yes and anything in the dirt with more than a modest grade. It does weigh almost 50lbs, so you'll get a good workout.

Ok , junk. got it.

To re-calibrate the search, I am not looking to spend north of $1000 on a high end performance bike that will be ridden for rehab until I can get back on the MC.

Want something to get basic exercise and rehab, will be riding mostly on an extensive paved trail system. This will supplement the Rower
$1000 does not buy you a high performance bicycle. It barely gets you out of the junk category. Something like that Giant, North Ride posted is what you should be looking at.

Appreciate the insight , and the post to check out giant.

any pedal bike that have the bars higher than the seat? looks totally rough on the back to be that far forward.

Be careful buying a bike with bars that are too tall. Look where your hands fall on your body when you stand upright. They are near your hips. Bars that are a little above the saddle are ok but don’t go too high. Lower bars help with pushing down on the pedals. You can pull up on the bars, as you push down, and get more power to the pedals. If the bars are high, you can not push as hard. Additionally, with high bars, all of your weight is bearing straight down on your tailbone. Bending over spreads the weight out. It also makes the bike handle better, with a more 50/50 weight distribution.

Use caution when looking at saddles. If you are pushing hard on the pedals, very little weight is actually on a saddle, most of your body weight is supported. A narrow saddle helps your legs move through the correct motion. Wide saddles impede that motion and lead to chafing in sensitive areas. Bike shorts help immensely with the chafing. Gym shorts over the bike shorts help the community with not having to see things they do not want to see.

Any suspension you find on a bike that is under $1000 is going to be some type of spring that is dampened by heavy grease. No real suspension. Suspension is not needed for general bike path use. The style of bike that NorthRide posted would be great. Every manufacturer has a similar bike.

Or if you want style on the boulevard, but it just punches over your $1000 limit. 8 speed internal hub and also made by Trek.

1647525842994.png

Ok , junk. got it.

Consider getting two of whatever you get, one for the wife. The paved trail systems usually pass by lots for great places to grab dinner and a margarita. An evening ride for a bit, grab dinner and a drink and then a leisurely ride back to the vehicle. When I used to drink more, we would do what we called “rowdy rail trail rides”. Where we would just bar hop all day. Do 50-100 miles on the bike and drink all day long. Win win.

Or if you want style on the boulevard, but it just punches over your $1000 limit. 8 speed internal hub and also made by Trek.

1647525842994.png

The pedal forward design of those bikes was groundbreaking. We picked up Electra before Trek bought them. If you look at the body position, in relation to the bars and cranks, they just rotated everything, so the rider can get a powerful push on the pedals still. The only downside is they are really difficult to climb a hill on, standing and pedaling does not work. Really comfortable on a rail trail. Almost a recumbent like position.

1647525613243.png

$600. Handlebars higher than the seat, wide tires, 3 speed internal Shimano hub, made by a division of Trek...not junk.
I personally wouldn’t want this or a fat bike for riding bike paths. But the most important thing is Mark likes it. A bike that just hangs in the garage is a total waste.

Top Bottom Back Refresh