What's new

BMW R1300GS

the new GS will be unveiled on September 28

300-GS-Leak-Australien-169Gallery-ea7f2297-2012113.jpg

300-GS-Leak-Australien-169Gallery-601ce018-2012115.jpg
That actually looks really nice. Are the heads raised and slimmed in vs previous models?

The new GS is reportedly 12 kg (26.5 pounds) lighter than the exiting R1250GS. New weight is said to be 522.5 pounds.

The new R 1300 GS will be presented in Berlin on September 28, 2023 - exactly 100 years after the very first BMW, the R 32, which was also presented in Berlin at the time.

I see such tempting prices on slightly used K1600 bikes, I figure why not just jump to the logical conclusion and put some spoked wheels, aluminum cases, crash bars and 50/50 tires on one and call it a R1600GS?

I notice BMW doesn't want to spoil the surprise of who they're sourcing brake calipers from. And the front end camouflage...adaptive cruise control?
Probably getting the calipers from here and don't want to spoil the surprise

Attachments

• chinese radial caliper.png
    chinese radial caliper.png
    185.1 KB · Views: 10
^ Lol! Hence the roll eyes… Learned long ago never ever buy the first year new model of anything… :deal

The new GS is reportedly 12 kg (26.5 pounds) lighter than the exiting R1250GS. New weight is said to be 522.5 pounds.

The new R 1300 GS will be presented in Berlin on September 28, 2023 - exactly 100 years after the very first BMW, the R 32, which was also presented in Berlin at the time.

Still waiting on a sub 500 LB Boxer. Would love a shiftcam 900 GS. 100HP and 80 FT Pound Torque. That is all I need as I age with my beat up body.

I will just ride my 1200 GS until I cant hold it up. Even though the gym helps, gonna come that time.............

Great they got it lighter even being fully water cooled. Just cant see why they dont see a 425-450 LB boxer is a winner. To us older BMW riders weight becomes our demon. Yes we can sit and ride it, but moving it around, or picking it up, is literally a pain. Yes I know we are supposed to keep the rubber side down, but stuff happens.

Still waiting on a sub 500 LB Boxer. Would love a shiftcam 900 GS. 100HP and 80 FT Pound Torque. That is all I need as I age with my beat up body.

I will just ride my 1200 GS until I cant hold it up. Even though the gym helps, gonna come that time.............

Great they got it lighter even being fully water cooled. Just cant see why they dont see a 425-450 LB boxer is a winner. To us older BMW riders weight becomes our demon. Yes we can sit and ride it, but moving it around, or picking it up, is literally a pain. Yes I know we are supposed to keep the rubber side down, but stuff happens.
It seems that spec sheets sell, and weight is buried deep in the brochure. People will pay for HP and luxury features, but apparently the typical new BMW buyer won't pay for lighter engineering or materials. This is rather odd because weight is everything in the cycling world, with buyers routinely spending as much as a new motorcycle costs for the latest light weight components. But if they increased the amount of magnesium, aluminum and titanium, the cost would go from $25K to $35K, I suppose. Its not just the materials cost, but the fabrication and machining cost. Titanium has to be electron beam welded in a vacuum, for example.

Seems strange that high end companies are still using steel for their frames. The cycling industry moved on from that a long time ago, and even the sports car industry is now using aluminum or carbon fiber routinely.

It seems that spec sheets sell, and weight is buried deep in the brochure. People will pay for HP and luxury features, but apparently the typical new BMW buyer won't pay for lighter engineering or materials. This is rather odd because weight is everything in the cycling world, with buyers routinely spending as much as a new motorcycle costs for the latest light weight components. But if they increased the amount of magnesium, aluminum and titanium, the cost would go from $25K to $35K, I suppose. Its not just the materials cost, but the fabrication and machining cost. Titanium has to be electron beam welded in a vacuum, for example.

Seems strange that high end companies are still using steel for their frames. The cycling industry moved on from that a long time ago, and even the sports car industry is now using aluminum or carbon fiber routinely.
I agree. When you see bikes costing 10-15 thousand dollars to pedal, it makes you aware of the cost of lighter stronger materials.

I loved my LT. I do love a brick motor. But the Boxer is what called me and I fell in love with.

I know I could buy a lighter BMW but I dont want a twin. I want a boxer, GS, with less weight.

I mean how much more HP do people need? My GS dynoyed at 121hp. With headers and a can, and a Power Commander with Auto Tune. It is way more then I use. I mean even out west at 80MPH the motor was not breathing hard.

I guess getting old is just the way it is. I will ride until I cant hold the bike up any longer, then see what is available.

Still think BMW is missing the Senior BMW riders who would continue on if given a choice of a lighter Boxer.

Everyone lays this at Hayes feet. But what and how did BMW spec them? Why did they leak? Was it bore size, pucks, rubber seals, just what was it besides leaked?

Hayes are one of the first innovators of the Semi truck ABS brakes.

So if Hayes ran a bunch of stuff out of spec, where was BMW'S QC Department? Or Hayes for that matter?

I just dont buy Hayes ran all those brakes out of spec. Who and where were the other components sourced, and speced from?

Yes it was a black eye, no worse then the Shock, Stop Selling Order back on the new LC release.

Everyone lays this at Hayes feet. But what and how did BMW spec them? Why did they leak? Was it bore size, pucks, rubber seals, just what was it besides leaked?

Hayes are one of the first innovators of the Semi truck ABS brakes.

So if Hayes ran a bunch of stuff out of spec, where was BMW'S QC Department? Or Hayes for that matter?

I just dont buy Hayes ran all those brakes out of spec. Who and where were the other components sourced, and speced from?

Yes it was a black eye, no worse then the Shock, Stop Selling Order back on the new LC release.
Well said. Hayes has been around and doing disc brakes for over 50 years. They have a great reputation.

No matter the spec BMW wanted, calipers should not leak no matter who makes them IMHO…

No matter the spec BMW wanted, calipers should not leak no matter who makes them IMHO…
I agree.

However if the supplier gave BMW what they speced, then BMW is the issue not Hayes. Where and who was the rubber seals sourced from? Even though Hayes made them, it is BMW to design and spec parts, and from where, and using what materials.

I am glad they got it sorted but BMW is not innocent in this at all. Regardless of who made them isnt it BMW's responsibility to ensure they are to spec and are correct when releasing the bike?

Just like the shock Stop Sale in 14.

And after many FD/Drive Shaft issues they are replacing them on GS/GSA with a new one if you have 36K on the DS. Checking under 36K DS and replacing them if they fail the test.

Why do people drinking the Kool Aid not see that BMW is responsible for the end product?

I never have to worry on a new BMW product as since I cant work on them I wont own a new one. My 1200 GS does it all anyway, and is paid for. I will never chase HP numbers. Especially since the weight numbers keep going up with them. Although the 1300 is reported lighter even though it is fully liquid cooled.

Dont get me wrong I would like a 1250 if I could get a DVD and I would consider a 1300 also. But BMW making the money grab for Dealer service only just jacks my BP up to the point where I think my head will explode.

I just hate when Kool Aid drinkers smear another company and we have no idea what transpired. I never read or heard Hayes take blame or being sued by BMW?

I agree.

However if the supplier gave BMW what they speced, then BMW is the issue not Hayes. Where and who was the rubber seals sourced from? Even though Hayes made them, it is BMW to design and spec parts, and from where, and using what materials.

I am glad they got it sorted but BMW is not innocent in this at all. Regardless of who made them isnt it BMW's responsibility to ensure they are to spec and are correct when releasing the bike?

Just like the shock Stop Sale in 14.

And after many FD/Drive Shaft issues they are replacing them on GS/GSA with a new one if you have 36K on the DS. Checking under 36K DS and replacing them if they fail the test.

Why do people drinking the Kool Aid not see that BMW is responsible for the end product?

I never have to worry on a new BMW product as since I cant work on them I wont own a new one. My 1200 GS does it all anyway, and is paid for. I will never chase HP numbers. Especially since the weight numbers keep going up with them. Although the 1300 is reported lighter even though it is fully liquid cooled.

Dont get me wrong I would like a 1250 if I could get a DVD and I would consider a 1300 also. But BMW making the money grab for Dealer service only just jacks my BP up to the point where I think my head will explode.

I just hate when Kool Aid drinkers smear another company and we have no idea what transpired. I never read or heard Hayes take blame or being sued by BMW?
I agree, I won't buy a motorcycle for which the service information isn't available for a reasonable sum on reasonable terms. None of this "view online for only $25 a day BS". Lack of service information will hit new BMWs hard in depreciation since servicing old bikes will be so expensive.

Top Bottom Back Refresh