What's new

Do you deserve your New Bike ?

Deserve? No, I deserve very little in this life.

I make a ton of choices, mostly bad, about the things I want. I've been riding trials now for 5.5 years and I'm on my 4th modern bike and 1 vintage. In succession they were
1973 Montesa 247
1996 GG JTX 270 - a tank neary as heavy as the 247
2015 GG TXT 280
2018 Montesa 300RR
2022 TRS 250 One RE

Only the GG 280 was a really wrong bike for me. However each step showed me more of what the bike was capable of. And each gave me more confidence to push my skills. The 2018 and 2022 are by far my favorite bikes to date. And each for different reasons and riding styles. The Montesa rode, for me, like a modern vintage bike just plodding along, lots of grunt tractoring through what ever I pointed it at. And its an amazing trail bike, the Ute Cup was ridiculous fun. The TRS has completely changed my riding style and forced me to incorporate proper use of the clutch (slipping, not on/off). It is light and agile, and begs me to work on stuff I couldn't do well on the Montesa. The GG 280 probably hampered my progression. The rest haven't made me a better rider. But they increased the fun factor and that made me want to ride more, which made me a better rider.

In reality I like shiny things. I'm pretty hard on equipment, at least cosmetically. So, I buy lots of new motorcycles because I want to.

Deserve? No, I deserve very little in this life.

In reality I like shiny things. I'm pretty hard on equipment, at least cosmetically.
:stupid Same.
My stuff gets used, and while well maintained mechanically, lots of scuffs and scrapes

If it wasn't for the folks that can afford them, there'd be a lot fewer used bikes for new riders to buy. :)

If it wasn't for the folks that can afford them, there'd be a lot fewer used bikes for new riders to buy. :)

Yup, every new bike supports the sport more. Eventually it will be another used bike on the market, getting a new rider into the sport.

Reactions: MVI
I want a new one too, can you guys talk some sense into my wife? :lol3
back in 74 I think it was, dad bought a "new" trials bike, bultaco. Well, It cost him a $400 "used" Amana Radar Range (that we still have for unknown reasons)
I think the Bulto cost less in trade than mom's new microwave...

So maybe you are looking at the solution wrong? Hahaha. :photog

back in 74 I think it was, dad bought a "new" trials bike, bultaco. Well, It cost him a $400 "used" Amana Radar Range (that we still have for unknown reasons)
I think the Bulto cost less in trade than mom's new microwave...

So maybe you are looking at the solution wrong? Hahaha. :photog
:dirtdog Hey are you helping here or not!

:lol3

I'm considering a new trials bike.
While I don't know a darned thing about Trials Bikes, besides some are maintenance whores with the oil filter buried deep within the case, this does not deter my search...

Can someone point me to a http link from "on the pegs" or somewhere that compares the 2022/2023 offerings Form Hontesa, Beta, TRRS.

E-start preferred.

Dirt Bike Magazine regularry does a 2T, SX, Dual Sports comparisons, wondering if there is a good publication that does a similar comparison with trials bikes>

While I don't know a darned thing about Trials Bikes, besides some are maintenance whores with the oil filter buried deep within the case, this does not deter my search...

Can someone point me to a http link from "on the pegs" or somewhere that compares the 2022/2023 offerings Form Hontesa, Beta, TRRS.

E-start preferred.

Dirt Bike Magazine regularry does a 2T, SX, Dual Sports comparisons, wondering if there is a good publication that does a similar comparison with trials bikes>

I have not come across such a thing. Really though, if you're buying new, I don't think you can buy a bad bike (Ray at TTD last week even said as much, they all have it pretty well figured out at this point). Some of the designs are a bit long in the tooth (beta, sherco/scorpa, GasGas). Only TRS is going to come with e-start though you can add it to montesa. If 4t is your thing its just beta and montesa. Vertigo a bit more bleeding edge with the fuel injection.

You may find availability being a major decision factor. If I had to replace my beta 200 tomorrow I'd probably go beta again just cause its what i know and my friends ride that. but I'd be happy on any of the 2t options.

I wouldn't get hung up on the estart. When I had a GG that wouldn't start for shit I thought estart was a big deal. with a bike that is cooperative in starting its a non-issue IMO.

Does "Ray" have a website ? Seems to be a popular guy. Is he on ADVbikes?

E-start preferred.

There are no good bike comparisons. I am working with OTP to establish some testing of products and will work my way into bikes but it is probably a couple years away.

Trials Tube on YouTube has had a couple comparisons.

The only estart bike is TRS. Vertigo is rumored to be coming and S3 make and aftermarket for the Montesa.

As Matt mentioned above. There are no bad bikes. All have quirks

E-start preferred.

Go to a local event or three. Ride everything you see, and make a decision that way. Most trials riders will gladly let you have a go on their bike. All of the bikes are pretty amazing these days, but one or two may feel 'right', or right-er than the others.

Top Bottom Back Refresh