What's new

Garmin vs Phone

Which one sucks less?

• Total voters
Phone. All day long. Nothing compares.

I have a paid account for Kurviger that I plan out all my routes. The phone app isn't bad either. But I usually upload the gpx to OSMand which is also the paid version.

With the phone I get access to any apps I want- I carry a full repair manual for the DR on it. Nevermind time killers, using my dumbphone as a hot spot for it, Spotify is priceless for those ten hour rides, and taking pictures.

WHoa! Thanks for that! Kurviger looks great. Is there a limit to route size? (I have some routes with 100-200 waypoints.)

I fucking HAAATE my Garmin. More accurately: I loved my Zumo 550. But, it is so old and bodged together at this point that it is no longer waterproof and it crashes all the time.

I recently replaced it with a Zumo 395LM. Goddamn you, Garmin! I don't know what they were thinking. The new operating system / user interface is useless. :bluduh

I could live with this terrible UI, except ONE thing: Bluetooth is broken. The 395LM won't connect to my headphones in Stereo. I get shitty, AM-radio sounding audio. I've tried and tried to figure this out. I never had this problem with any other device.

All I want is to be able to listen to music or a podcast while I cut up twisty backroads. Is that too much to ask?

WHoa! Thanks for that! Kurviger looks great. Is there a limit to route size? (I have some routes with 100-200 waypoints.)

I fucking HAAATE my Garmin. More accurately: I loved my Zumo 550. But, it is so old and bodged together at this point that it is no longer waterproof and it crashes all the time.

I recently replaced it with a Zumo 395LM. Goddamn you, Garmin! I don't know what they were thinking. The new operating system / user interface is useless. :bluduh

I could live with this terrible UI, except ONE thing: Bluetooth is broken. The 395LM won't connect to my headphones in Stereo. I get shitty, AM-radio sounding audio. I've tried and tried to figure this out. I never had this problem with any other device.

All I want is to be able to listen to music or a podcast while I cut up twisty backroads. Is that too much to ask?
Can't speak on waypoint size. My multiday trips I break up into individual routes. day one, here. day two, load up new route. day three, etc.

as far as music, Spotify. thats exactly how I ride too. Kurviger for planning. Upload to OSMand for riding. Spotify for music. There is a little issue with Spotify though. I sort of need to work on it. what happens is you download your playlists to listen with no service. but after a few days, the songs automatically delete. I think its because the program is try to update the playlists. It'll delete a few songs, go to download new ones, but no service, so it hangs ups there, deletes a few more, no service, won't download, and so on. by day three, I had like ten songs left. you connect to free wi-fi somewhere though and you're golden.

Can't speak on waypoint size. My multiday trips I break up into individual routes. day one, here. day two, load up new route. day three, etc.

as far as music, Spotify. thats exactly how I ride too. Kurviger for planning. Upload to OSMand for riding. Spotify for music. There is a little issue with Spotify though. I sort of need to work on it. what happens is you download your playlists to listen with no service. but after a few days, the songs automatically delete. I think its because the program is try to update the playlists. It'll delete a few songs, go to download new ones, but no service, so it hangs ups there, deletes a few more, no service, won't download, and so on. by day three, I had like ten songs left. you connect to free wi-fi somewhere though and you're golden.

I feel like I'm now in a familiar rabbit hole: I'm searching for a el cheapo device I can use as a phone-based GPS for my motorcycle. Any suggestions?

Generally, the only user interface I dislike more than the new Zumo system is any android device. :lol3 However, I'll hold my nose and deal with it if that's what I gotta do.

What I do NOT want to do is to use my primary phone. First, there's good evidence that vibrations kill phones. Second, I'd rather keep my phone safely in my jacket pocket, under a layer of armor. If a cheap phablet or phone goes bouncing down the road, that won't bother me too much.

I use the Garmin zumo 660LMT, It holds all my music/play list. My phone is Bluetoothed for communication only. Music plays directly from the 660 to my Sena headsets, phone overrides the tunes if a call comes in. Phone stays safely in my jacket.

I've heard the 395 is bad, so I've stayed with the 660. The XT seems to be getting good reviews.

So yeah, the 395 is a dud. Garmin has had a few of those over the years.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm now in a familiar rabbit hole: I'm searching for a el cheapo device I can use as a phone-based GPS for my motorcycle. Any suggestions?

Generally, the only user interface I dislike more than the new Zumo system is any android device. :lol3 However, I'll hold my nose and deal with it if that's what I gotta do.

What I do NOT want to do is to use my primary phone. First, there's good evidence that vibrations kill phones. Second, I'd rather keep my phone safely in my jacket pocket, under a layer of armor. If a cheap phablet or phone goes bouncing down the road, that won't bother me too much.
I used a Samsung S5 for a bit. I try to stick with phones that I can replace the batteries with. all day in the sun, constant charging with the constant high use, it takes a toll on the battery. That S5 I eventually ruined the charging port on it. Now I use an LG V20. Doesn't even have a sim card in it. so that's a good thing about it, you don't care about what carrier it is, so you can get cheaper.

I use a dumb phone as my main phone.

It says it's based on Bing search. I mean why not, but if you have to use some connectivity to do the search, then you can do it straight from google maps (search in google maps then share and choose your navigation app)
Or if using locus, search directly in the app, selecting Bing (or Google), available by default.

If out of nowhere without connectivty, the PSM offline POI database can help, although not as complete and uptodate as the devil google search..
Then have a look at TomTom Go.

It doesn't tick all your boxes but I use it everywhere offline. It just needs to connect to WiFi once in a while to get map updates or if you use their web planner, to receive the latest routes you've created.

The only downside to me is that any real off-road sections you do, it can't route through those. But if you're staying on roads, highways, forest roads, etc, it works beautifully. Also does traffic if you have data.

I have a Sonim XP8 and I think it makes a great little GPS unit.

I'm on at&t so I got an at&t version in case I fall and break my regular phone I can drop my sim in the sonim and have a way to make calls.

As a device, i like my 396, alot. Rode with a guy last fall for a little bit of the NEBDR who had an xt, while it had a beautiful display, it wasn’t enough to tempt me away from my 396.

Plus the price is damn good. I paid a bit less then this shortly before the xt was released.

I have a Sonim XP8 and I think it makes a great little GPS unit.

I'm on at&t so I got an at&t version in case I fall and break my regular phone I can drop my sim in the sonim and have a way to make calls.
Came really close to getting one of those last week. I had a hard time justifying the cost since it would just be for gps, but if my duraforce pro experiment goes awry, i may reconsider.

Came really close to getting one of those last week. I had a hard time justifying the cost since it would just be for gps, but if my duraforce pro experiment goes awry, i may reconsider.
I only paid $108 for mine on eBay

You mean having 4 pieces of software to manage a single device isn't working for you?

Image if Word was like that; oh I need to insert quotation marks better open Microsoft QuotationMaker! A comma? Off to MSComma!

Score! Nothing close when i was looking. Can’t remember but was closer to $200. I’ll keep an eye out. From everything I read, looked like a pretty impressive device.
It's great. The RAM powered, locking mount isn't terribly expensive, it's got a user replaceable battery ($20 or less on Amazon) and a LOUD speaker, plus 3 programmable buttons. I found the screen to be incredibly bright too.

Older thread I realize, but can someone explain what a $500.00 zumo xt is going to do for me over say a dedicated android phone with an app like onx? A phone and the app I should have less than $150.00 invested. I've used an older gpsmap 76 along with a basic gpx reader on an old phone I had so I'm somewhat familiar with both, just older tech. BTW I hate having to deal with the whole dance with basemap or Basecamp or whatever it's called. Just looking for route planning, strictly off road type trails. I'll just use Google maps for road and street routing.

Older thread I realize, but can someone explain what a $500.00 zumo xt is going to do for me over say a dedicated android phone with an app like onx? A phone and the app I should have less than $150.00 invested. I've used an older gpsmap 76 along with a basic gpx reader on an old phone I had so I'm somewhat familiar with both, just older tech. BTW I hate having to deal with the whole dance with basemap or Basecamp or whatever it's called. Just looking for route planning, strictly off road type trails. I'll just use Google maps for road and street routing.
Definitely the right place to ask rather than start a new thread nevermind the age. To answer your question in a word: nothing. I think in the past Garmin had a leg up in durability and screen quality. I think the Duraforce Pro and Sonim phones have really closed that gap based on the comments in this thread. Ultimately I think it comes down to personal preference.

Both? Neither? Depends on the mission.
  • Just want to get there via the quickest route? Waze
  • Want to get there kinda quick while avoiding major highway? Gnav with avoid highways setting
  • Custom backroads route (how I travel 99% of the time)? Custom route mapped out in Google MyMaps, exported as KML, sucked into Basecamp and massaged, and exported to my Garmin.

I run BOTH. Currently I am using an Android phone (Pixel) with app and an older Garmin unit (Montana). Note: I am a cheap bastard and have never purchased a new Garmin device. In my experience, the Android option is easier to use and manage but can occasionally overheat and either shut down or stop charging while in use. I've never had a Garmin shut off while on the move, but they are usually a bit more cumbersome to get set up.

The current version of Basecamp seems to work pretty well, but I still use Google Earth Pro to do a bulk of my planning (old habits die hard). I like to use Google Earth Pro since you can use it to import the USFS MVUM Road and Trail Shapefiles for easy off-road planning.

Sure seems like the phone setup is easier, perhaps because I spend a lot more time with it. I've dabbled with Google Earth and apparently I need to watch some tutorials on making routes. I've shunned technology for a very long time and now, finally, am seeing the advantages it offers. I just need to force myself to sit down and learn. The zumo looks light years more advanced than my old set up and easier to set up. But at the price difference, I'm just not seeing it offers me that much more usability. Perhaps if I traveled more often, then I might see it. But for my 2 - 3 bigger excursions a year. I think a phone will be the right choice for me.

Old luddite fart here....Although I like my phone navigation apps better, I use old Garmin Nuvi's that I purchase off fleabay for next to nothing. They pair with my Sena and I can play my mp3 library from an SD card. I have one for every one of my bikes and they're so cheap that if they get damaged or stolen I don't care. The maps on some are out of date, but again I really don't care as roads and gas stations don't change that much. I'm such a luddite that I still carry paper maps in my tankbag for reference. If I really need to find something particular, I can always stop and use my phone that I keep safely tucked away.

Question about downloading maps to my iPhone: I use my phone for navigating but I've been dependent upon having internet connection because I don't download maps prior to my ride. I'm contemplating a long ride to Alabama this summer, do I make the route in Google and then download it? Does the download need to be at a certain scale? (Like breaking it up into 300 mile sections?)

Once that's done ... will Google automatically find and rely upon the downloaded maps?

I prefer Apple's map interface to Google's (easier for me to read while riding) - is there an equivalent method for Apple maps?

Thanks

Top Bottom Back Refresh