What's new

Garmin vs Phone

Which one sucks less?

• Total voters
Any phone can be used without activation. Look for rugged Android devices (Kyocera, SONIM, Ulefone, Oukitel, Doogee, Blackview, etc). You want a bright screen, with glove mode preferably, and you will want to look at screen size as well.

If you have an old iPhone you can test out a few apps, but I have found the better apps to be on Android.

You merely connect to wifi to download the apps you want (and for updates/gpx file transfers).

GPS works without cell service at all.
I've got a Doogee S60 that I use on my dirtbike. I don't have a sim card for it - but I can keep my primary phone safely in my camelbak by with a wifi hotspot if needed.

1650561315606.png

I've got a Garmin ST60 that works great as a GPS. But, it doesn't work at all for taking pictures, videos, or running my Mavic Drone software. Since the doogee will do all those AND navigate, it's what I mount on my bars.

Last edited:
Question about downloading maps to my iPhone: I use my phone for navigating but I've been dependent upon having internet connection because I don't download maps prior to my ride. I'm contemplating a long ride to Alabama this summer, do I make the route in Google and then download it? Does the download need to be at a certain scale? (Like breaking it up into 300 mile sections?)

Once that's done ... will Google automatically find and rely upon the downloaded maps?

I prefer Apple's map interface to Google's (easier for me to read while riding) - is there an equivalent method for Apple maps?

Thanks
Google Mymaps would be the service I would use for creating and storing a route as opposed to regular Google Maps. I have no idea whether Apple has an equivalent. The 3rd party apps mentioned in this thread work best offline and for following premade routes tracks. I would experiment to see if there is one that fits your preference.

Older thread I realize, but can someone explain what a $500.00 zumo xt is going to do for me over say a dedicated android phone with an app like onx? A phone and the app I should have less than $150.00 invested. I've used an older gpsmap 76 along with a basic gpx reader on an old phone I had so I'm somewhat familiar with both, just older tech. BTW I hate having to deal with the whole dance with basemap or Basecamp or whatever it's called. Just looking for route planning, strictly off road type trails. I'll just use Google maps for road and street routing.

GaiaGPS and an older phone. I use an older iPhone 6+ that the camera died in. It's worth next to nothing so I don't even bother to take it off the bike unless I'm on a trip where losing it would suck. Gaia has a ton of different maps to download. Everything from Topos to Satellite and more. Gaia online has excellent route planning for roads and offroad. Routes automatically migrate to all your devices. Yep, it's a subscription for the full feature set, but at $35/year I can pay for 15 years for the cost of a Zumo XT.

Gaia pros:

Lots of offline maps available
Great route planning on the web app
Routes/waypoints/tracks etc auto-sync to any/all devices running Gaia
Share/export/import routes
Great 'trip computer' for recording tracks and stuff
IF your device is lost/stolen/broken everything can sync to a new device
Can run on iOS and android with same account.

Gaia Cons:

No offline route planning. Maps and pre-planned routes available, but hard to create new routes offline.
No voice or turn by turn directions. I use any of the 'traditional' nav programs for that
Not that great for on-road nav, again, I use the usual suspects for that when needed.
Little bit of learning curve, but very powerful once you get it dialed

Phone pros:

Cheap entry price and easily replaceable - I don't use my actual 'phone'.
Can do other things, even work as a backup phone if my main phone is damaged
Many nav optons, not just Garmin and it's associated apps

Phone cons:

Screen is not quite as bright as the Zumo
Maybe not quite as durable as a standalone GPS unit
The overheating thing - only a problem for some people. I have only had it happen once in 105deg weather with the phone mounted behind my windscreen.

Lots of other options out there but that's how I'm rolling right now. YMMV

GaiaGPS and an older phone. I use an older iPhone 6+ that the camera died in. It's worth next to nothing so I don't even bother to take it off the bike unless I'm on a trip where losing it would suck. Gaia has a ton of different maps to download. Everything from Topos to Satellite and more. Gaia online has excellent route planning for roads and offroad. Routes automatically migrate to all your devices. Yep, it's a subscription for the full feature set, but at $35/year I can pay for 15 years for the cost of a Zumo XT.

Gaia pros:

Lots of offline maps available
Great route planning on the web app
Routes/waypoints/tracks etc auto-sync to any/all devices running Gaia
Share/export/import routes
Great 'trip computer' for recording tracks and stuff
IF your device is lost/stolen/broken everything can sync to a new device
Can run on iOS and android with same account.

Gaia Cons:

No offline route planning. Maps and pre-planned routes available, but hard to create new routes offline.
No voice or turn by turn directions. I use any of the 'traditional' nav programs for that
Not that great for on-road nav, again, I use the usual suspects for that when needed.
Little bit of learning curve, but very powerful once you get it dialed

Phone pros:

Cheap entry price and easily replaceable - I don't use my actual 'phone'.
Can do other things, even work as a backup phone if my main phone is damaged
Many nav optons, not just Garmin and it's associated apps

Phone cons:

Screen is not quite as bright as the Zumo
Maybe not quite as durable as a standalone GPS unit
The overheating thing - only a problem for some people. I have only had it happen once in 105deg weather with the phone mounted behind my windscreen.

Lots of other options out there but that's how I'm rolling right now. YMMV
Gaia is another app I keep hearing about. I'll look into it as well. Seems like I see several videos comparing it and Onx.

The phone set up also seem to be the way to go for the reasons you describe. Loss, theft, and just general wear and tear. The phone is easier and cheaper to replace without losing the information you have stored. Plus when you're using a "disposable" phone, you already have a backup in your pocket

Question about downloading maps to my iPhone: I use my phone for navigating but I've been dependent upon having internet connection because I don't download maps prior to my ride. I'm contemplating a long ride to Alabama this summer, do I make the route in Google and then download it? Does the download need to be at a certain scale? (Like breaking it up into 300 mile sections?)

Once that's done ... will Google automatically find and rely upon the downloaded maps?

I prefer Apple's map interface to Google's (easier for me to read while riding) - is there an equivalent method for Apple maps?

Thanks
Dead simple;

Google automatically caches small maps offline in the background for your local area and when you're traveling to use if needed. Also, there's a new feature where, if it suspects you will lose mobile connection during a trip it prompts you to download the map to use offline.

Do a direction search for "Alpine, Texas to Terlingua, Texas" and you should see that feature pop up.

Clever chaps these Google Maps people, Apple, Bing & the others aren't even playing in the same league. Most of the above-mentioned nav apps are using Google as their base map too.

Although the Garmin is more likely to keep signal, I find searching for things on it frustrating. If I want directions to a hotel, I have to be in the "lodging" menu. Sometime the hotel is historical, so I must be in the "points of interest" menu. I can't seem to find anything using a simple address entry. Also, one mistake and I have to erase everything using the "backspace" button to get to it.

The phone is the internet, which is Google Maps. I can see restaurant reviews, pictures of the front of the place I am looking for, and even make reservations. It just works.

I have a rubber mounted clamp for the handlebars, and the phone is held in place with a spring clamp and rubber bands at each corner. It doesn't move or shake. I have a USB adaptor for my Battery Tender pigtail.

1650639552429.png

Do downloaded Google Maps still expire after a month or so and auto-delete?
You can tell it how long to retain them. But if you're traveling somewhere for a month without cell or WiFi service (post that ride report from Antarctica when you get back) Google Maps isn't your choice.

Thanks.

It's less about that than it is about trip planning and not having a map disappear at an inopportune moment. I like to go places for a week or more at a time where cell and wifi aren't reliable or available at all, so it's a valid concern.
Google tells you when the offline maps will expire.
Screenshot_20220422-125623.png

Regarding phone holders, I've never had one (past iPhone 6, current iPhone11) pop out of my Ram X-mount. I do think about adding some security (there's always a first time), like a rubber band, but haven't yet.

For mounts, I prefer the Quadlock brand. Very secure and they offer a vibration dampening mount to protect the camera in cellphones.

After using Garmin products for close to two decades, I made the switch to a rugged smartphone last year and haven't looked back.

Bigger screen, better software, free maps, and cheaper price for the hardware are just a few of the advantages.

I purchased a Oukitel WP8 for roughly $150 and use Locus Pro for navigation. I was easily able to download maps for the entire United States with tons of memory left.

Phone worked great on the 3.5 week long Continental Divide ride last summer.

I don't see how Garmin is staying in business...

Dedicated GPS unit for me. On the GSA I like the wiz-wheel functionality. Anything that limits me reaching up to mess with a navigation unit I'm all for!
There are many reasons I prefer y Garmin on a bike over a phone, most already mentioned. I use the phone in my car, and it generally works fine. I miss some of the features like track back and trip data collection in the car, but overall it works fine. On the bike I prefer not to expose my phone to the environmental elements, as well as the risk of loss or damage. I can leave my GPS locked to the bike, but not a phone. Just my personal opinion, and I know it goes against the grain for many!

I can't believe they're maintaining market share against a tide of phones with increasing environmental robustness, battery endurance, network coverage, and screen image quality.
Ignorance on the end user, plain and simple. Folks still think they need to go buy a GPS unit, even though they use one on their phone all the time. It's silly if you really thing about it.
Lots of riders that claim a phone can't do this or that have no experience with the many apps available. There's a whole world beyond Google maps and Waze. I don't know anything about iPhone apps, but Android has a ton of apps available. I would estimate I use 5% of what Locus is capable of, but it makes my last Garmin (admittedly, from 2008) look like Pong.

Last edited:
I find phones really intrusive and abusive not to mention clumsy- picking one up reminds me of being at work, so off and put away is the best kind of phone for me. I'll pay extra for a stupid Garmin and limited functions any day.

Same idea as paying a bit extra for a "tacticool" led flashlight that just turns on and off instead of all the blinking.. cheap at the price :)

Garmin Monterra, the worst of both worlds (Garmin and Android) :lol2

This was Garmin's first attempt at integrating their hardware with Android OS. It was arguably one of, if the most, buggy pieces Garmin ever released and they never could fix it.
1651073275238.png

The biggest problem with this unit was Garmin's inability to provide updates to the Android OS. 4.0.4 is as new as it gets :arg One of the worst versions of Android ever released...
1651073540641.png

Garmin got close with the Monterra. A solid piece of hardware with access to the Google Play store. It's a shame they stopped development. If the unit could have been continuously updated it would have been a game changer and most likely the answer to any debate about Garmin vs Phone. Now the OS is too old to support even the most basic 3rd party nav/mapping apps with exception of Google Maps.

It's a solid unit and I use it often when doing local rides, but I worry about it freaking out on a long trip and leaving me stranded.

Top Bottom Back Refresh