What's new

Garmin vs Phone

Which one sucks less?

• Total voters
I'm using a Ulefone Armor 8 now. The screen is big. The battery is huge and it's a tank of a phone. I can ride all day on a charge. I'd like it to have a brighter screen. If I had a complaint, that would be it.

For years, I used a Samsung S7 Active. Still have my second one for backup. Those are great phones. Nice balance of durability without the tank quality of lots of the rugged phones and very reliable. Lots available on ebay cheap still. Pick one of the vendors with lots of feedback and give it a shot. The investment is minimal.
The Power Armor 14 looks to be a pretty good deal for Android 12 - https://www.ulefone.com/us/power-armor-14-pro.html?utm_source=website&utm_medium=pc-b-banner-1

Hey thanks I'll get one and beat the crap out of it on the 300i in the desert. That should be a good test. 😆
One of the guy's name is...Darrell I think. He was awesome when I spoke to him. I messaged them about being a vendor here, but didn't respond.

I guess times a company doesn't want to play unless they can play with everyone. I sorta understand. But damn it would be awesome to have some tech support in the house

I got to use my Garmin eTrex32 again on Sunday. I'm so glad that I got this because it takes the guess work out of navigating the trails. I did make a mistake though and zoomed in too far; I was still following the purple track but didn't realize that I missed a turn and was going back down the same loop I had already rode. The trails I was on had a ton of intersections and forks so I don't think I could have found my way without the GPS. When I got turned around it was easy to follow the GPS track back to where I needed to be.

I need to figure out how to make a file that provides directions with the proximity alarm so I don't miss turns. Right now I'm loading a 'track' and just following the colored line.
Garmin's instructions make it sound easier than it is. When you perform their steps in Basecamp you need to have the map(which of course has to be a routable map) you have you intend to use activated. The problem is the trails have to be routable surfaces on the map. Based on my buddies' experiences, I will just be better about following tracks.

All I see is single options, so that's probably it. Not a big deal to swap cables, but one less thing to screw with. One of those mounted to my dash plate would work well.

I use a triple USB charger that plugs into a 12V accessory outlet (cigarette lighter) and I carry some silicone wax to seal it up. I'd rather have a more robust solution, and the TAPP outlets you recommended look good.
I went with this from Blue Sea systems. They make marine items, so it should be good.

1652295912499.png

RIP my new GPS. I knew I should have tethered it but I never did. I lost it on a trail yesterday and couldn't believe when I found it.

Props to Garmin. I contacted them this morning and they are sending me a replacement for $99. :thumb

2022-05-22 20.06.51.jpg
2022-05-22 20.06.59.jpg
Garmin does stand behind their hardware.

I got my first 'nice' GPS back in 2004. A brand new 60CS. I used that GPS for the next 10 years... a lot. It had separated itself from my bike at speed, fell out of my Jeep and was dunked in water while kayaking more than it should have been. In 2014 one of the AA battery terminals broke off. I contact Garmin and send the unit in for repair. Instead of charging me for a repair, which I was expecting, they send me a brand new 60CS still in the box with a note that said they hoped the replacement 60CS would last more than a decade and thanks for being a customer. At the point Garmin won a customer for life. Even though I don't use the 60CS much anymore due to its limited storage space, I still have it and it works great.

I found this interesting, might need a KLR to mount it on the milk crate

On one of the Expedition forums I am part of, folks indicate the Tread is not ready for primetime and like most new releases from Garmin it is riddled with issues. I'm going to give Garmin a couple of years to work out the kinks, then try one out in my vehicle.

I like the idea. But as stated every new device garmin has come out with have their demons at release time. I'll be happy with my XT and Ulefone for the time being and watch the forums on how this processes over the next few years.

Gaia pro on whatever phone I'm currently using. Use for dirtbiking, hunting, general exploring, wheeling. Never had an issue with killing phones, temperature, moisture, etc. Using with gloves blows goats, but such is life. Currently on an s22.

Ok,
I'm trying, really. I want to use Android phone on the ninja so I can run my countermeasures setup. There isn't room for GPS and phone.
Yes I'm committed. New phone, quadlock wireless charging setup, tested several apps.

All I want->
Turn by turn audio directions
Import GPX/KML routes/tracks
Save GPX/KML from rides
OFFLINE maps
No subscription, 1time purchase is ok, seriously I'd pay $100 for something that's not garbage.

OSMand is NOT the answer (shame). Totally unworkable for nav. Fundamentally broken crAPP.
OSMand exists to drain batteries. During nav, if the map is displayed the phone will discharge even while plugged in. Search (osmand + battery) before telling me the problem is my hardware.

I just don't see anything in the crAPP space that understands what's expected / needed to compete with Garmin.

Tell me what I'm missing? What stupid app can legit substitute for a Garmin? Don't care about any features I didn't mention.

I can get over the glove thing.
I can get over the charging/ heat issues.
I can deal with sunlight visibility.

[UWSL]Everyone is talking about how phone hardware is a legit sub for Garmin. Ok, show me software on phone that isn't garbage.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]Everyone rags on Garmin software. At least the shit works for the important features of a gps device. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]Yes, totally frustrated.[/UWSL]
[UWSL]Absent someone opening my eyes to a legit option, I'm calling BS on phone for nav.[/UWSL]

I still find my garmin to be my go to nav. Especially on the bike, but I do use the phone a long with my XT in the truck while traveling.

On another note, note sure if it's been mentioned here. But I found an app called Avenza that is outstanding for NF and park services. I've be testing it and I got to say I'm totally a fan after just a week now in the Black Hills. I feel you would be doing yourself a favor to check it out if you ever plan on riding any of those areas. Here's a sample of a screen shot from today. Trails both atv and single track with all the different road classes. It's a very busy map so it takes a bit to work with.
Screenshot_20220626-142152_Avenza Maps.jpg

Anyone have an idea how a countermeasures setup app and motorcycles relate?

Ok,
I'm trying, really. I want to use Android phone on the ninja so I can run my countermeasures setup. There isn't room for GPS and phone.
Yes I'm committed. New phone, quadlock wireless charging setup, tested several apps.

All I want->
Save GPX/KML from rides
OFFLINE maps
No subscription, 1time purchase is ok, seriously I'd pay $100 for something that's not garbage.

OSMand is NOT the answer (shame). Totally unworkable for nav. Fundamentally broken crAPP.
OSMand exists to drain batteries. During nav, if the map is displayed the phone will discharge even while plugged in. Search (osmand + battery) before telling me the problem is my hardware.

I just don't see anything in the crAPP space that understands what's expected / needed to compete with Garmin.

Tell me what I'm missing? What stupid app can legit substitute for a Garmin? Don't care about any features I didn't mention.

[UWSL]Everyone is talking about how phone hardware is a legit sub for Garmin. Ok, show me software on phone that isn't garbage.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]Everyone rags on Garmin software. At least the shit works for the important features of a gps device. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]Absent someone opening my eyes to a legit option, I'm calling BS on phone for nav.[/UWSL]

I dont think you're going to be able to satisfy your requirements without a subscription and cellular data plan available on the phone periodically.

No one wants to admit that.

All I want->
Save GPX/KML from rides
OFFLINE maps

I use OSM all the time, both in the truck and the bikes.

The other day there was a banner for a % off too. Not sure if its still there. Its one time purchase.

Turn by turn instructions. However, doesn't do door to door. It only goes as close as intersections.
OSM will take gpx files.
Has offline maps.

I had issues with draining the batteries. I must have tried four dozen cables. https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php has the answer. That setup, I run OSM and Spotify non stop at the same time and battery never goes below 100%.

I'd take another look at OSM. I must have 40,000 miles on it.

edit: oh, downside of OSM. slight turn ahead, slight right ahead, slight turn ahead, slight turn in 1/4 mile, slight left hand turn- you get into the curvies and it just repeats that over and over again.

Ok,

All I want->
Save GPX/KML from rides
OFFLINE maps

Maybe take a look at Guru?

Top Bottom Back Refresh