What's new

+ Week Go north young man!

BDKW1

Member Number
Because it's not ball sweaty hot up there.

First stop Grand Isle Nebraska.

20230702_112838.jpg

Dinner in billings.

20230703_184123.jpg

My medium rare burger came out well done and the service was sloth like.

Not saying I'm in a shitty hotel, buuuuttttt.

20230703_200518.jpg

Upside is, it's much easier to give it a sponge bath now and get rid of some of the bugs.

I've stayed in a couple motels where I'd like to put the bike in the room too :-) last one thankfully had bike parking right outside the window and the weather was good enough to leave it open.

Before.

20230703_204142.jpg

And after.

20230703_205135.jpg

That washcloth will never be the same.

Turns out I really didn't need to do the wash. It rained on me for about an hour this morning, the whole bike is now free of suicide bugs.

So I stopped to take a leak in a small town yesterday. As I'm watering the tree I hear a gobble. Now, I've got earplugs in, helmet on and music in the headset. So I'm looking around for this bird cause I can't tell what direction the call is coming from. I finish up and turn around to get on the bike and there's a 3' tall Jake standing right behind me. Scared the crap outa me. I almost grabbed that fat fucker around the neck he was so close. He just cocked his head to the side, gobbled something that sounded like fuck you and wandered off.

Last edited:
I've stayed in a couple motels where I'd like to put the bike in the room too :-) last one thankfully had bike parking right outside the window and the weather was good enough to leave it open.
I stayed at one last month that was a full-on parking lot party. I was on the second floor so I couldn't bring my bike in. I left it on my hitch carrier with three chains and two locks on it along with a full cover. Happily, it was still there in the morning.

I stayed at one last month that was a full-on parking lot party. I was on the second floor so I couldn't bring my bike in. I left it on my hitch carrier with three chains and two locks on it along with a full cover. Happily, it was still there in the morning.

I stayed in a really horrible motel down in Newport News VA for work some years ago. Similarly, some units apparently rented out long-term and my motorcycle was interesting to the tennants, and I was up on the 2nd floor because many of the 1st floor rooms were being renovated- dumpsters in the parking lot etc. That was with my old cruiser, so plenty of storage for stuff like the bike cover- so I parked it next to the outside stairwell, put on the cover and cabled the bike to the handrail. It was somewhat nerve-wracking since I was there for a week and on foot so it sat the whole time- but all was well. Boy was I glad to ride out of there :-)

Funny how the 2nd floor can be good or bad depending. I was up in the Adirondacks in June, on the 2nd floor again, some dumpsters in the parking lot there also due to renovations but the place was in much better condition and the 1st floor was half-full of riders down from Quebec on various adv bikes so I didn't have the slightest concern.

yep, 500+ mile days can wear you down. I've done a 700 mile day and was happy to have the bike on the kickstand at the end of it.

720 miles yesterday, about 300 of it dirt. Started in laird hotsprings. Went up to Watson lake.

20230708_102435.jpg

From there I took the Cambell highway which is mostly dirt road to Ross River for fuel.
20230708_130501.jpg

Then on up back to the AlCan just north of Carmacks. I was going to stay in Carmacks but I didn't want to backtrack and there was still plenty of daylight so I pushed on to Dawson city.

The highway from Carmack to Dawson is beat up. I wasn't able to dodge all the potholes. Hit 1 hard enough to shift the center bag over to the right. Then the stupid high mount exhuast tried to light it on fire.

20230708_202059.jpg

Melted some of my camping gear so it looks like hotels from here on out. Fortunately the 3G fuel bag that was on top of that bag didn't get to hot. That would have been a bad day.

The view at the hotel tonight.

20230709_200025.jpg

The Tenere next to mine, 3rd from the far end is loaded to the gills, spare tires and all. It is owned by a French dude that had it shipped from Germany to Chile in January. He is currently coming down from Alaska. At 68 years old he makes me feel like a complete pussy.

Wifi is spoty and my phone decided it doesn't want to be a phone anymore.

20230711_171907.jpg

20230711_120638.jpg

20230711_124351.jpg

Couple long days, did Dawson city to Coldfoot Monday. It was going to rain Wed so I wanted a dry run up to Prudhoe bay. Left coldfoot at 7 and made it to Prudhoe at 11. Ate lunch, looked around and headed back south. Hit fairbanks about 8:30. It's raining now so that was probably a good plan.

Neat.

How's the bike holding up? T7 is top on my list of...needs.

I see a lot of reviews on it offroad, but I'm more curious on those 300+ mile pavement days.

Neat.

How's the bike holding up? T7 is top on my list of...needs.

I see a lot of reviews on it offroad, but I'm more curious on those 300+ mile pavement days.
The first couple days were rough, been a few years since I've put in that many miles on a bike. The heated grips really help as does the throttle lock. It's way better than the trusty old KLR on the highway. The suspension needs help. Square edge expansion joints will just about launch you off the bike at 80mph. Playing with the adjuster screws doesn't make much of a difference from full in to full out. They really cheaped out on the suspension. My other man grip is the rear suspension geometry. Just slapping the street bike motor in there was a been counters decision. That deep sump raises the motor up forcing the swing arm pivot to go up too. There is too much angle on the swing arm at ride hieght. Chain tension change is horrible. They try to church this short coming up and spin it as "anti squat" geometry. All it really does is stiffen up the rear suspension under throttle making the rear loose traction in bumpy terrain and beat you to death. Hammering the throttle in chattery conditions will kill your chain on this thing.

Bottom line is it looks cool and is decent on the street.

Off road, it could have been so much better. Throwing a bunch of money at the suspension will not fix the geometry issues.

Now for the MotoZ tires......

20230714_091838.jpg

This is about 5K miles, probably 1000 of it dirt. It will be bald by 6k more than likely. If have been babbying it off road too. Trying to keep wheel spin down and keeping to the clean groove for acceleration. Traction is a lot better than I expected, they are very predictable when they slide. Mud is not the front tires strong point. Only a knobbie works in the slop. The front took some massive pot hole hits going up to Prudhoe and held up great. The sidewalls are pretty tough. Ran 26psi in the front and 32 in the rear.

Will have to source a tire somewhere in Montana to make it home. For the guys that say they get 12K out of these, you just don't ride that fast. Still, it's twice the life of a D606 and it hasn't thrown off any knobbies.

Ok, some stats on the Prudhoe bay run for the guys that might think I'm joking about how fast I move along.

727 miles in 12.5 hours is a 58mph average.

This includes a 16 mile construction zone north of coldfoot where you follow a pilot car at 20mph. I did this one twice that day.

There is a 20 mile construction zone south of coldfoot. Did once.

The longest I had to wait for the pilot car to get there was probably 10 min.

2 gas stops to fill the tank from the bag.
1 gas stop on the way back down to coldfoot to fill the bike and the bag.

Without the construction zones I could have easily knocked an hour off that time.

Maybe 4 pee breaks? I tried to combine those with gas stops.

Took 7 gallons each way from colfoot to Prudhoe. That's 34.5mpg.:lol2

The first couple days were rough, been a few years since I've put in that many miles on a bike. The heated grips really help as does the throttle lock. It's way better than the trusty old KLR on the highway. The suspension needs help. Square edge expansion joints will just about launch you off the bike at 80mph. Playing with the adjuster screws doesn't make much of a difference from full in to full out. They really cheaped out on the suspension. My other man grip is the rear suspension geometry. Just slapping the street bike motor in there was a been counters decision. That deep sump raises the motor up forcing the swing arm pivot to go up too. There is too much angle on the swing arm at ride hieght. Chain tension change is horrible. They try to church this short coming up and spin it as "anti squat" geometry. All it really does is stiffen up the rear suspension under throttle making the rear loose traction in bumpy terrain and beat you to death. Hammering the throttle in chattery conditions will kill your chain on this thing.

Bottom line is it looks cool and is decent on the street.

Off road, it could have been so much better. Throwing a bunch of money at the suspension will not fix the geometry issues.
That's some of the best feedback I've read on the bike. +1

Top Bottom Back Refresh