What's new

His and Her R1200Cs

JimVonBaden

Kool Aid!
Member Number
Back on a C for fun. Mike and I bought his and hers R1200C bikes for a steal. I took the black one he took the silver one.

They sat for at least 5 years, mine did, his may have run more recently. Both with bad batteries, mine had 15 and 11 year old tires, his only slightly better. My gas tank liner has come out and there is rust on the filler.

OPl4z0.jpg
8WiZui.jpg

The silver one is a 2004. Mike popped a battery in it and it fired right off. I road it when I got them back to my place and everything worked, even the servo-ABS. They were filthy, but cleaned up well.

The 04:
TgZLgo.jpg
MyYIKA.jpg

The 99:
Zp9afX.jpg
WWxk2d.jpg

I popped off the tank and put in a battery. It turns over and everything seems to work. I have to clean the tank and install a new filter before I start it.
wAm0v4.jpg

More to come.

The wheels on my black bike are Chrome, Mike's are anodized silver. We will be doing all fluids, changing tires for new and heading out on a week long ride on Sunday. I'll post up the progress here.

Might want to get new stickers before riding much :)

Looks great, except the tank. The liner has come loose and the pump is locked up. I cleaned out the liner by pulling sheets of it off, then the old nuts in the tank and shake trick. New pump on order for Thursday, cutting it close, and I still need to register it.

HBNA0O.jpg
KblnG1.jpg
FYR6N2.jpg
CWvfOT.jpg

After, still not perfect.

DqYL9B.jpg
gonOiC.jpg
98rPLw.jpg

The pump before disassembly, but after cleaning the plate.
JUjGw1.jpg

New brake lines coming, as are fluids and filters.

Tires in for both bikes:
24O2OI.jpg

Swapped the other bike's tank to my bike to test. Starts, idles and revs good.

This era of BMW has the biodegradable wire sheathing, and it definitely degrades.
sWEiGs.jpg
MxC6O1.jpg
bW3mWs.jpg
JXqZjZ.jpg
UVRBJM.jpg

Used split loom to cover the wires after I removed the remaining sheathing.
RUGjpZ.jpg
VOJ2T7.jpg
dk2rzw.jpg
TNbu5T.jpg
8buQDz.jpg
nZ9dEj.jpg

Then added some aux lights, a switch with a USB for my phone and a relay to turn them off with the key.
Bj5nh6.jpg
8n2FOj.jpg
hMVgaW.jpg

Tomorrow I do the fluids, except the brakes (waiting on new SS lines) and check the valves.

So, the silver one's mine. I'm new to this forum. I'm Star-Bellied Sneetch on ADVrider, but I rarely post so most probably won't recognize that name either. Can't wait to get to Jim's and start riding my new bike. I feel like it's being held hostage!

So, the silver one's mine. I'm new to this forum. I'm Star-Bellied Sneetch on ADVrider, but I rarely post so most probably won't recognize that name either. Can't wait to get to Jim's and start riding my new bike. I feel like it's being held hostage!
I've been making mine much nicer than yours Mike.

Pulled the crash bars, changed the oil, trans and FD fluids and polished the valve covers and crash bars. Next checking the valves.
IYTd4E.jpg
P8YE6C.jpg
QCG7ma.jpg
GJje1m.jpg
nziy4i.jpg
qF0LrI.jpg

Definitely down at least once at some speed.
qlDDUN.jpg
mtTO3m.jpg
ZE2Zuc.jpg

Spark plugs look good, but will be replaced.
G4hXog.jpg

The tool kit was never opened.
EFO5eN.jpg

Currently:
78N5F9.jpg

Attachments

• uvaWCK.jpg
    uvaWCK.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 2
  • qlDDUN.jpg
    qlDDUN.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 3
  • mtTO3m.jpg
    mtTO3m.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 2
  • qF0LrI.jpg
    qF0LrI.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 1
  • nziy4i.jpg
    nziy4i.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 3
  • G4hXog.jpg
    G4hXog.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Eij5ie.jpg
    Eij5ie.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 2
  • FuerqZ.jpg
    FuerqZ.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 2
  • ZGAn4o.jpg
    ZGAn4o.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 1
  • jbZvaw.jpg
    jbZvaw.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 2
  • P8YE6C.jpg
    P8YE6C.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IYTd4E.jpg
    IYTd4E.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Nice job in sharing Jim.

I enjoy seeing a machine get new life.

It picked the right owner, that is for sure.

MEK will dissolve that Red Kote with ease, but it'll wreck your paint also, so a delicate process. Upside is, it's fast.

MEK to melt the liner, muriatic acid to eat the big rust away followed with a swirl of phosphoric acid ( Prep n Etch at Lowe's) to clean up the inevitable flash rust left by the muriatic acid and the convert what might be left in the corners/seams. Don't have to neutralize the phosphoric acid. Just swirl ii around until it's turned the tank chalky looking and it's evaporated. Whole process take 30 minutes or so if you need a tank cleaned in a hurry, but that MEK is some nasty stuff.

Red Kote should be outlawed 😁 Along with motorcycle neglect!

MEK will dissolve that Red Kote with ease, but it'll wreck your paint also, so a delicate process. Upside is, it's fast.

MEK to melt the liner, muriatic acid to eat the big rust away followed with a swirl of phosphoric acid ( Prep n Etch at Lowe's) to clean up the inevitable flash rust left by the muriatic acid and the convert what might be left in the corners/seams. Don't have to neutralize the phosphoric acid. Just swirl ii around until it's turned the tank chalky looking and it's evaporated. Whole process take 30 minutes or so if you need a tank cleaned in a hurry, but that MEK is some nasty stuff.

Red Kote should be outlawed 😁 Along with motorcycle neglect!
I'll figure something out. I don't want to damage the paint, it is too nice.

Agreed!

Received the new fuel pump and SS brake lines today. I'm going to get as much done today as possible. Tomorrow I register it and remove the wheels for a tire change.

I'll figure something out. I don't want to damage the paint, it is too nice.

Agreed!
If the paint didn't matter you'd never spill a drop😁

You can wrap the tank in masking tape first, then duct tape to barrier any spills. Not as fiddly as it seems.

Got the new pump in today. Perfect fit, worked great.

xBYnh8.jpg
iN6HOM.jpg
ebBBOx.jpg
4Jr4hi.jpg

Changed the belt, adjusted the valves (exhausts a bit tight), added new plugs and put the valve covers on and oil in.
dSCpJO.jpg
CNrBe7.jpg
8lfWUh.jpg

Bike started right up and idled and reved smoothly. The engine looks pristine inside.

Glued down the torn leather then used shoe scuff polish to blend it, then added a coat of leather restorer/protectant. I'll need another coat tomorrow.
Kt98Or.jpg
AjC6FN.jpg
Z4djIn.jpg
pl8GBl.jpg

Checked out the Galfer SS lines and they will work. I will install them tomorrow and flush the brakes, then flush the clutch fluid as well.

Top Bottom Back Refresh