What's new

His and Her R1200Cs

Black and chrome is a fantastic look.

Looks good Jim. Looking forward to your ride experience.

I can't believe how good the pipes look! You did an awesome job! Were you able to get the same results with the rims?

So, day one, great ride of about 250 miles well into Pennsylvania. The bike rode great, no issues at all. I was texting my wife about 40 miles from the end of the ride and told her the bike was doing great!

Jinx! By the time I got to the hotel the clutch would barely work without multiple pumps of the lever.

YoPhTJ.jpg
kr8Z5d.jpg
yppgQR.jpg
6T99XT.jpg
98kxrm.jpg

I decided to error on the side of caution and rode it home the next morning to get my GS. Fortunately we had made a circuitous route that had us only 80 miles from home via the freeway. I made the high speed blast home using the clutch only 4 times. 3 hours later I was back and we continued the ride.
cBlR6s.jpg

The ride total was around 850 miles for me and 750 for Mike. His bike was flawless. My C was also perfect except for the clutch issue. We were to continue to Saturday, but the weather turned into solid rain in every direction for the next 5 days so we made the high speed dash back home in the rain. Still a great time and I really learned to like the R1200C for the 300 miles I rode it.

I am absolutely in love with my silver white aluminum bike. It is so much better than my '98 in every way. Smoother suspension, more power, smoother engine, quieter exhaust, better brakes. . . probably some stuff I'm forgetting. I even liked the handlebars better than the ones on my '98. The only thing I changed is that, 5 miles into the ride, I made Jim turn around and go back home, and I took off the windscreen. And my search for a windscreen with no buffeting continues. . .

Anyway, I drove up to his place (2 hours from my place) Saturday morning and, with Jim's help, did as much maintenance on my bike as we could before we set out Sunday morning. We also changed all 4 tires on both bikes. The Dunlops were only about $200.00 for a set, and they performed fantastically, as far as I could tell. Changing the fuel filter allowed a good look into the tank, and I was pleased to see that the orange coating was in perfect condition. As Jim stated, the bike performed flawlessly. It's a keeper. I'll be selling the '98 at some point. It's a good bike but no need to keep 2.

I'd never ridden in Southern Central PA, and the roads were much better than I'd anticipated. A great combo of twisties up and down the mountains and long sweepers going through the scenic farmland in the valleys. And the roads were all in fantastic condition with very little traffic. Can't wait to get up there again.

Last edited:
Waiting on the slave cylinder. AjRiCQ.jpg
I was going to ask about the clutch. So a slave cylinder is the issue? Hope that is not too bad for you on cost, I have no idea what that part goes for. Still for what you paid and what you have in it it was still a steal. I always loved them. I had always herd that they cant get out of their own way, but then again we dont always need to see the world go by at a blur. Still love the Black and Chrome, it is classic both in cars and motorcycles.

I was going to ask about the clutch. So a slave cylinder is the issue? Hope that is not too bad for you on cost, I have no idea what that part goes for. Still for what you paid and what you have in it it was still a steal. I always loved them. I had always herd that they cant get out of their own way, but then again we dont always need to see the world go by at a blur. Still love the Black and Chrome, it is classic both in cars and motorcycles.
Slave is $129 from Beemer Boneyard. Easy to replace and the typical cause of this kind of clutch issue. I'll have it tomorrow. Even with all the parts for it, the bike was a great deal.

I am well known to love black, so this is my favorite color for a bike, or a car.
My car:
oQQUWC.jpg
My wife's car:
OJ9Sly.jpg
My other motorcycle:
3m9PMq.jpg
Hell, even our Bicycles:
sj4f8R.jpg

Got to love Beemer Boneyard and Speed Bleeders. 2 day service. I'll change the slave in the morning. It is over 90° in the garage right now.
wK2joJ.jpg
RCDjoJ.jpg
Yes I filled it with bearing grease.

Let's start with the slave. Not nearly as hard as on an R1150GS, easy access, a bit hard to get to break loose ones the bolts are out. I used a thin screwdriver to get it moving, with light taps from a hammer.
RgxYXG.jpg
j9fXaS.jpg
FbMMBw.jpg
GKuGjt.jpg

Used a pair of pliers to hold it while i removed the lines.

Pretty obvious the bearings are shot and the seals bad.
X1ZEJh.jpg
mUNbBF.jpg
CsyE6B.jpg

wNYDhm.jpg
q5YY7e.jpg
5imJCu.jpg
WHryLV.jpg
MyUeuS.jpg
TjUzz6.jpg
5Kwluf.jpg
WsOwNM.jpg
VcE8V6.jpg

Last thing to do is fix the exhaust rattle. Will post soon the fix.

Install was not bad, once I cleaned out the crap.
Used the new crush washers to install the lines, basically reverse of removal. Then used a hammer handle to push in the slave to get the first bolt started. Then alternately tightened down the three bolts.
euB9pD.jpg
RgxYXG.jpg
0VPuA6.jpg

Next, flushing and bleeding the system. I used a Speed Bleeder with a suction pump to get it going. The fluid was very dirty, as expected, so I flushed a Pint of Dot 4 through it to clean it out.
B0H6qH.jpg

XLPxFY.jpg
sU3qbE.jpg
L7bGOM.jpg

Took it for a quick ride to verify function, then back on the lift for cleaning.
4SVp5P.jpg
5q73gB.jpg
VuaaSJ.jpg
8dcvM2.jpg
5dhSKc.jpg
VmWNwj.jpg

OK, so fixed the rattling header pipes. Dual layer pipes to preserve the chrome is a neat idea, but doesn't always work as expected.

The right one, done first didn't rattle when I took it off, but I pinned it anyhow. The left one rung like bells hitting each other once I got it off. The right and left are different in that the right inner pipe stuck past the outer pipe about 3/16", the left was a similar amount inside the outer pipe.

Both pipes had good welds, as expected, at the head ends.
Dfl5Me.jpg
iosyvR.jpg

The right pipe before and after pinning:
ogfp0Y.jpg
c9Tll8.jpg
Xa9jQA.jpg

The right after pinning:
SpDIxW.jpg
22t9gF.jpg

I used a sharp point punch with 4-6 firm hits, trying to keep it in the same place, then used a dull punch and hit 4-6 more times on each spot. I did this at 90° intervals.

Welding would have been hard on the right head pipe because it stuck out. I don't know if it will last, but the pipes are quiet now.

That looks so very nice Jim. What a job you did on that bike!

Edit: Could you turn that headlight on and snap a pic?

Top Bottom Back Refresh