What's new

How and when did you stoop so low as to start riding scooters?

Getting into scooters for me was a function of trying to salvage my wife's confidence on two wheels. She got in over her head on a Sportster that she just had to have (pretty...) despite my pleading to start out with something much smaller and lighter. Needless to say, she had a low speed get off and dumped it in the soft shoulder. Enough of that and I rode it another 20,000 miles before selling it.

I figured I'd "take charge" of the next purchase and give it another go for safety reasons. Thinking outside of the box...Ah Ha... scooters! We found a 2010 Honda 110 Elite, the only year imported into the U.S. and sold all over the world as the "Lead". It's fuel injected, huge under seat storage, sips fuel ~100mpg, gets up to speed in short order (48 mph) and most important it's easy to ride! She took to it like a fish to water. Mrs. Bearcat has put over 7000 miles running errands and summer commuting on that thing since 2016. I'd say that was a win.

My dream is to one day surprise her with a fuel injected Vespa 150 in yellow, her favorite color. That and to scratch the Vespa itch for myself! The picture is how she transported the oars home from the neighborhood garage sale free pile...
20180722_124017.jpg

I got my first taste of scooters in the lat ‘60s. A college roommate had a Sears Allstate and let me ride it around the apartment complex. About 20 years ago, my work location changed and my commute with under 3 miles. By the end of the winter my car battery needed replacing so figured it would make more sense in getting a scooter for commuting to work and save the car for longer trips. Started with a Honda Met and am now riding an AK 550.

My left knee started giving out so I sold my 1999 Kawasaki Classic to a friend and bought a SYM 250 GTSi just to see if I could/would put up with a scooter. That worked out well so a few years later I switched to the Piaggio 350 X10. Next (and currently) is the 225Kg (500lb) Kymco AK550! The knee seemed to work without fussing again. Go figure.
BTW, the Kawasaki is still in daily use!

Here's the 1999 Kawasaki Classic with my Piaggio X10.
20160219 170210.jpg

SYM 250 GTSi
sym_paint2.jpg

Piaggio 350 X10
1000-2.jpg

Kymco AK550 before and after a bath.
Before & After.jpg

In 2006 I crashed a 1985 Kawasaki 454LTD. The bike fell to the left and pinched my left foot and ankle between the foot peg and the engine case. The next day as I was talking to my GP, who had just finished putting me into a knee high air cast, telling me with a shit-eating smile on his face and literally rubbing his hands together that I would never be able to ride a MC again because I could not use the shifter. Challenge accepted. After a mind blowing 18 mile test ride on a new 2004 Honda Silver Wing I had to get a scooter. The Honda dealer wanted $7800 which was a bit too much for my budget at the time so I found a second owner 2003 Silver Wing on Ebay from a seller in Greentown, PA for $3200. The owner delivered that bike to my driveway a couple days after Christmas in December of '06. After 2.5 years and 23,000 miles I stupidly traded the bike in a for a 2009 BMW G650GS. There followed a PC800 for a couple of years and then a 2014 NC700XD for almost 8 years and in November of 2020 a new Yamaha Xmax 300. The only MC I've considered since getting the Xmax would be a full fairing CTX700D. Or a Vespa. Or a AK550. Or a ...

I think once you get bit by the scooter bug...It is hard to forget how many things scooters do well. Which can almost be anything. My 1st scoot was a cpi xpeed 50cc. This is the bike I probably came closest to loosing my license. I raced anything 0-30, cruised gravel roads at almost 45mph, jumped anything with a transition and wheelied every ride. The cpi eventually ate a ring and the next time ate a wrist pin roller. After this I had a few clones and a riva125.

In 2008 I decided to try a vino125. The vino was a let down acceleration wise but did have a decent top speed. I eventually got wheelies but the performance and chassis were lacking compared to the 50. But the vino was a decent ride. We would 2up the vino a good bit. Longest ride was 100miles. The seat wasn't long enough but it kinda worked. We enjoyed the vino because it was smooth and quiet. I still have the vino..just dont ride it. The wife recently purchased a small frame gy6150cc scoot. And the neighbor got another 50. I have influenced way more people to ride scooters than myself. I still check out all the new models and more than once almost went for a maxi.

I don't. Number one daughter (17yo) has been riding a Vespa 125S on an A1 licence for more than a year now. Mostly low speed urban riding in Europe. The 125 has a surprising amount of zing for lightweight riders like us and it is suprisingly good at what it does. I'd have one except that I have electric freeride SMs for the same purpose and don't use them enough now.

Last edited:
Years after recovering from a workplace non-riding accident. When cleared to ride. I was tentatively riding around. Waiting to be broken again. This lasted a few years.

Then I bought a new Bonneville. A new bike, a new attitude. Wrong. I spent close to 3 years with that bike. I farklized it 3 separate times. #1 a tasty standard with a few comforts added. #2 a racked and bagged, windscreen tourer and #3 a Scram-fe (srambler+cafe). Just didn’t click or ride much or know what I was doing. I turned 60. The body was complaining. My joy was slowly dying. Should I stop riding?

I was talking to a rider who suggested I take the Basic MSF course again.

I did. Rode my Bonneville to class. I felt weird. I was twice as old as over half the class. And 3 times older than more of the class I want to admit.

I had an absolute f*cking blast on those 125/250 cc motorcycles.

I rode home on the Bonnie. It wasn’t as much fun. WTF.? That ain’t right. Passed, upper middle. Taking your feet off the pegs and yelling “f-ya”. Before that final stop is a real points killer and not my best move. Most enjoyable in years for sure.

I started the search for a small motorcycle that would do the trick. What a futile mind f*ck that was. Thank you CL. New offerings didn’t do it. Join a few scooter forums. Ask all the wrong questions.

Out from a ride trying to find joy. I stopped mydealership. Going to look at one those BMW 650 go big or go home. It was the most motorcycle-y thing in my area. My own exhausted, misguided internet search said so.

I walked in and saw a brand new 2016 white BV 350. I remember reading about’em. My dealership always sold scooters, they were just invisible.

Can I test ride that? One more time?

Shut up and take my money!

5x the mileage as the Bonnie. I gotta get me one of those Vespa’s.

Sold BV. Bought a Vespa GTV. Starting my 9th year of scootering.

As in this post; it took awhile to get here.

What was the saying (one that got me banned on that other place)? Scooters are like fat chicks- They're a lot of fun until your friends catch you riding one.
That line was saved for mopeds. Mopedarmy had a thread that stated mopeds are like super models. Come from eastern Europe and weigh 100lbs was in the long list of reasons. Something like that.

What was the saying (one that got me banned on that other place)? Scooters are like fat chicks- They're a lot of fun until your friends catch you riding one.
Yeah, I have heard that saying but pretty much all of my friends know I ride a scooter and many of them ride scooters themselves so that saying only applies for someone who is worried about what others think of them.

As for being banned for posting that, that's pretty lame. That mod has no sense of humor.

The only sucker is the fat guy gloating while soft pedalling an ebike. :baby

#1 munchkin ordered a 300 Vespa. Two years already? Must be... :dunno I didn't think it was that long. No car licence (we don't live in a car culture), but she has her glider licence and last week she turned 18 and started her pilots licence. Oh, and she is sub 50kg with 260W+ FTP so is a useful climber on a bicycle. :imaposer

The e-biker I was referring to is not me, but thanks for yet another insult. Stay classy.

What started tongue in cheek you carry to new levels. Everything is going to be an insult as long as you carry that chip.

Bless your heart. Yes, I'm clearly the problem. Time to take my own advice.

You're precious. :imaposer

Evidence (as seen from another account) suggests I was already on your block list and you couldn't help yourself.

Edit: BTW, it is interesting that knowing my history and work (re slavery and sexual exploitation of young women) and your own claims you should quote your defence of someone who has been called out for consistently and unnecessarily digging up the grubbiest images he can find for that thread. I'm inclined to call your BS.

Last edited:
Well for me it was a short introduction...Salth20fish has been my scooter mentor... I met hiim for coffee for the 1st time in Feb of last year..He was riding his Silver Wing...I was able to ride it around 1 square block in my town..I was very impressed and had a big shit eating grin on my face....Even so i questioned myself on wether or not I would ever have one..or be seen riding a scooter...Then in May of last year David and i took an 86 mile ride. He rode his Helix and he was very gracious in trusting me to ride his SWing...well that ride erased all my doubts and negativity..I was hooked and I was sold on maxi scoots...Coming from big heavy sport touring bikes I didnt want a little scooter..I made it clear that i wanted a Silver Wing...Last Sept..Labor Day to be exact...I contacted a seller on FB marketplace...He had a SWing forsale but it had 90000 miles on it..I looked at that ad for 7 weeks..In that time the price was reduced. I actually had enough money to buy it...Again with the graciousnees of David we drove up to VA to see this SWing and the rest is history...It has been a godsend.. My cage died on Christmas day . I have been relying on the SWing as my main means of transportation in good weather ever since..My brother's van covers me in inclement weather...I am interested in other scooters but problbly wont get another. I'm quite happy with my Silver Wing...in the words of my mentor.."ride on scooter peeps"
1st scooter ride.jpg
SCOOTER4.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh