What's new

Is china the answer

I think the simple design mixed with the bike is not the most important part of the adventure might be a cheat. But like any other bike, some simple mods and extra care will pay off. I dig the simple factor. I think a templar can conquer the tat. I guess in a way a choice bike. Parts can be stock piled or Amazon in 2 to 3 days.

The stepson Zuma clone made the day today. My strom crapped a battery almost 20 miles from home. I lucked out and advance auto had a jump box...big bike was hard to roll start. And exhaustion almost led to a drop. Funny...90% of my big bike drops is endless roll starts to exhaustion.

The conclusion! Clones are very predictable. And are simple to mod and ride plus..kickstarts still exist. Plus the weight!!

I

My riding buddy just ordered and recieved a base model Templar (same as the video above). We're planning on running some local BDR routes with them as light adv bikes. We plan to see how much we can get out of these ridiculously cheap bikes. Should be fun and somewhat comical.
Do you know if the templar sold out. Or was there a glitch. The 3 models are now unavailable. I have seen this happen in the past. And it was just out of stock. The titan is still available. But I think the titan has steel rims. The only reason I wonder is so many parts on the templar looked very close to a few other brands. And usually I can find a left over somewhere. But the templar now seems unobtanium. Ha I thought about it too long. I bet it will be back around with a few changes. And there was alot of video traffic lately possibly boosting sales. Maybe just sold out.

I might get the rxe which is basically a hawk. Around alot longer. And more street plus the balanced pushrod cg engine with easier carb access.I better not wait too long...been saying this for 5 years.

Do you know if the templar sold out. Or was there a glitch. The 3 models are now unavailable. I have seen this happen in the past. And it was just out of stock. The titan is still available. But I think the titan has steel rims. The only reason I wonder is so many parts on the templar looked very close to a few other brands. And usually I can find a left over somewhere. But the templar now seems unobtanium. Ha I thought about it too long. I bet it will be back around with a few changes. And there was alot of video traffic lately possibly boosting sales. Maybe just sold out.

I might get the rxe which is basically a hawk. Around alot longer. And more street plus the balanced pushrod cg engine with easier carb access.I better not wait too long...been saying this for 5 years.
They go in and out of stock quickly. They seem to sell out their shipments in just a few days and I suspect your right that the fair number of ytube vids is helping their sales quite a bit. This is a constant discussion on the chinabike forums. Just the nature I guess when they are purchased by the container load.

They go in and out of stock quickly. They seem to sell out their shipments in just a few days and I suspect your right that the fair number of ytube vids is helping their sales quite a bit. This is a constant discussion on the chinabike forums. Just the nature I guess when they are purchased by the container load.
I kinda figured. Did your mco list motorcycle. Or offroad/dirt bike

Mine said motorcycle, but I requested this as I live in NY and knew it could be an issue if it said off road. Registration was not a problem. My buddy who lives in NJ is registering his in Montana due to NJ not having the manufacturer listed in their database.

He are the two of them from our ride day yesterday. The base model is significantly smaller than the X. While they are similar they have a very different feel when riding mainly due to the suspension.

Attachments

• 20240316_150208.jpg
    20240316_150208.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 7
He are the two of them from our ride day yesterday. The base model is significantly smaller than the X. While they are similar they have a very different feel when riding mainly due to the suspension.
The 6 speed is available again. Good deal! I have had the rxe in my shopping cart for 2 weeks and never pulled the trigger. Still good times. About a $600 difference shipped. The 2 bikes are so different. I have pounded out 500 miles plus in a day on a drzsm with a 2x4 seat... The 6 speed really is an enduro bike. The cg bikes are 30yrs behind but everyone seems to enjoy both...

When are yall leaving for the bdr. I always wonder about the perfect solo bdr bike. My opinion changes daily! Anything over 300lbs is questionable. And the only adv bike I would consider is the v300x

Our BDR runs will be done in small bites, day rides. We're old enough to not care about impressing the crowd with our feats of riding prowess just looking to have some fun and find the challenge of using such ridiculously cheap bikes quite appealing. Last weekend we did a test run of street/dirt and were absolutely satisfied.

And I completely agree about weight being so very important. I would add center of gravity to that thought as well. Rode an XR650L for 25yrs and while it was indeed heavy it seemed to be the high center of gravity that really increased the suffering in tight off camber singletrack. The Templar X, while "heavy" at 258 dry feels lighter when riding so I'm guessing the center of gravity is a fair bit lower.

I think the base model is around 260lbs wet. The base model and m are still out of stock. I like the modern ergos, air cooled and kickstart. I might get the X model. I would like to ride a templar and a klx230l on the same trail. I bet I would choose the templar. I barely missed the sale on the fse250r last fall. All the chassis parts are identical to my tse250r. I bet the X model could swap some parts with gpx/ktm parts......puzzle bikes.

I have thought about an xr650l. The xr is well over 100lbs lighter than my gen3 klr. I would almost prefer a strom over the klr on single track.

I would be willing to bet that a comparison of the KLX230 to the Templar X would have you choosing the X with little hesitation. The suspension on the X is lkkely just that much better. The stock tires on the X are laughable, they work fine for my intended purpose but are of such hard compound that they seem to be able to stick to almost nothing haha. Admittedly I am used to gummys on my regular bike so take that comment with a grain of salt.

China is upping the ante;

For the short attention span folks; China is coming out with a flat-8 motorcycle. 2000cc in configurations to challenge the GoldWing and a cruiser rumored to be a Rune comparo.

Overpriced in its day, but less than it cost to build and worth even more today.

Last edited:
Yeah the RUNE one of Hondas biggest flops needs a copy cat
I remember never hearing about these things forever. People didn't care or know about them. Then a prominent YouTuber did a hit piece on them and suddenly everyone has a poor opinion of Honda's business acumen.

It's en vogue to dump on Honda for being boring and I don't get it. CB's literally changed the world. VFR's and CBR's led the super sport charge for ages. Their dirt bikes are legendary. The F4i's were truly race competitive while being reliable for literally hundreds of thousands of miles. 919, 929, 954 are still sought after. They gave us the Blackbird. They gave us a turbo in the '80's, and it was reliable. They refined the Goldwing in to a touring bike that Harley wishes they could complete with.

Honda bikes were so damn good that they nearly drove Triumph to extinction and Harley actually convinced Reagan to pass law because they were whipping their ass, too. "Heritage" is the only things keeping those brands afloat decades later.

Hell, they plated the CRF450 for us simply because people kept asking for it. Honda literally had their people saying, "it's a dirt bike, we didn't design for extended road use...you don't want what you're asking for". But they gave it to us anyway. "Honda is soooo boring "... meanwhile, what... Suzuki gives us the DRZ400, Kawi gives us the KLR, and Yamaha gives us the TeeDub and TTR. 😁

Honda is a boss. The Rune wasn't a flop. It was a flex. Look at what we can fucking do. While you're scrambling to make ends meet and hitting us with tariffs, we are flourishing while you get bought and sold by bowling alleys.

I’m not dumping on Honda. Hell I’m a huge Honda fan. But they’ve made some bikes that never had a chance. Mostly cuz they could afford to. My comment was why would Chi-Com copy one of those! Now the most recent Valk would make sense.

Mikd, what emissions BS, if any ,are on the X ?
There is a cat built into the stock exhaust, some have cut it out with acceptable results. While the cat does produce noticeable heat I'm not sure the hp increase is worth the effort of removing it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh