What's new

Kawasaki KLX250 / KLX300 Thread

Been doing well. And busy. I have traded my CRF250RX for a Beta XTrainer and still have a CRF450L as my dual sport. But I like to occasionally keep up on the KLX300 too. How many miles have you got to yet? And still without a valve adjustment? Just curious.
That’s awesome. I got a chance to ride a XTrainer once. It was really nice!

Why did you decide to make the change?

IMG_6826.jpeg

Yeah, still no valve service. The good news is I just found a mechanic who I trust. My bikes will be neglected no more. :D

I’m just starting to plan a 2,000 mile round trip this summer. There’s a tiny chance I could get a bigger bike before then but most likely I’ll be taking the KLX so it’s going to need a lot of attention in preparation for that trip.

It’s good to see you around. 👍🏻

IMG_6826.jpeg

Yeah, still no valve service. The good news is I just found a mechanic who I trust. My bikes will be neglected no more. :D

I’m just starting to plan a 2,000 mile round trip this summer. There’s a tiny chance I could get a bigger bike before then but most likely I’ll be taking the KLX so it’s going to need a lot of attention in preparation for that trip.

Suspecting there is a lot of interest in what the measured valve clearances your mechanic reports.

Are you doing clearance check? I'll do mine; but looks like not for a while with only about 2,600, or so, miles.
I'm going to take it to a shop. I've done plenty of screw and locknut valves and even a few shim over bucket but I don't want to mess with shim under bucket. I'm sure I could do it but I just don't want to.

These motors do not eat valves. Mine went years without getting adjusted. It had probably 20k on it the first time I checked them. Only 1 was a little tight. I took that shim the the surface grinder, knocked a couple thou off it and put it back in.

I'm going to take it to a shop. I've done plenty of screw and locknut valves and even a few shim over bucket but I don't want to mess with shim under bucket. I'm sure I could do it but I just don't want to.
I bought all the gaskets and seals to do mine but I just haven’t been motivated enough to do it. And I’m apprehensive that I’m going to get stuck and not be able to ride. I already have one bike apart that I can't seem to get back together. 🤦‍♂️

IMG_6826.jpeg

I made the mistake of trying a friend's XTrainer. He also had a Beta 300RR Race Edition and a Beta 200RR Race Edition. The XTrainer was the first 2-stroke I ever tried. It was much easier to ride in the woods than the CRF250RX. The RX was probably always too much bike for me, being a cross country race bike. So after trying all that friend's Betas and a Beta 390RR and a Husqvarna TE300, I liked the XTrainer best. Both my CRFs were really good in open, fast stuff and neither was great in the tight, technical stuff. I kept the CRF450L due to being a dual sport, and traded the 250RX for the XTrainer.

I don't think I could get away with 18,000 mile valve check intervals on my CRF450L. I don't have the confidence to do that!

Top Bottom Back Refresh