What's new

KLX230 /S /SE / SM Thread

Bill_M

Member Number
I don't see any thread here yet on the variants of the KLX230, so starting one...

Picked up this little beauty for my wife last night:

IMG_20220928_183155.jpg

It is the KLX230S model, and has the ABS option. Not totally sure whether or not my wife is going to like the ABS... she really likes drifting around corners, so if it interferes with that, I'll be looking for info on how to disable it.

:ricky

Already ordered a few things for it: SeatConcepts seat, PMR rear rack, and the Pitbull pins for the KLX to be able to use it with the trailer restraint system we already have.

We finally are throwing in the towel on her WR250R which has been a bit of a lemon. It needed a valve adjustment at about 7500 miles, again at about 8300 miles, and now at about 8800 miles, the valves are back to zero clearance at TDC, and they are maxed out on the shims, so will need a tear-down, inspection, rebuild, and who knows what might be wrong with it internally to cause such extreme valve wear. I don't have the mechanical ability to do this, so I'm selling off most of the farkles, and then will sell what is left as a parts or fixer-upper bike. The dealership won't estimate what it might cost to do the work without tearing into it first... but best guess is anywhere from $1500 to $3000.

For comparison, our two WR's were bought within a month of each other, have identical upgrades, and have always had identical maintenance. The only difference is my bike has a few hundred more miles on it because it was bought a month earlier. My bike has never needed a valve adjustment, and runs perfectly, like a brand new bike (which it should, at a little over 9K miles, it is barely broken in). These bikes aren't even due their first valve check until 26K miles. The only reason I've checked the clearances on my own bike are because of the problems with hers.

This will be a good move for her... we're not getting any younger, and she already has some difficulties with the height of the WR when we get into rougher terrain. The new bike is about 2" lower than her lowered WR, and it carries the weight quite a bit lower.

For now I'm keeping my WR... I'm about 3" taller than her, and have a good bit more upper body strength, so I'm fine on the WR for now. But depending on how it goes, I may end up going the same route at some point.

Congrats with the new 230. It should serve you well for the riding that you two like to do, especially considering the brand new purchase price. The olive color looks good and it's growing on me. Retired Army here and I tend to shy away from drab and camo schemes :lol3

Congrats with the new 230. It should serve you well for the riding that you two like to do, especially considering the brand new purchase price. The olive color looks good and it's growing on me. Retired Army here and I tend to shy away from drab and camo schemes :lol3

Thanks! They had both colors in stock, the normal Kawasaki green and the olive. The olive was $200 off MSRP, the normal was full price. My wife liked the olive, and I liked the savings. :lol3

I've gotten a few mods done on my wifes KLX...

First up, removed the passenger footpegs, modified the right side mounting bracket, grinding off the unnecessary parts, leaving only what is needed to mount and protect the brake reservoir:

20221002_190016.jpg

And here it is mounted up (I mounted it on the back side of the mounting tab to gain an extra 1/4" of clearance for boots):

20221003_175818.jpg

Looks like Kawasaki has updated the styling of the KLX230. I don’t know what else, but the headlight has changed. And they’re making a supermoto version as well.

New KLX230 models

Looks like Kawasaki has updated the styling of the KLX230. I don’t know what else, but the headlight has changed. And they’re making a supermoto version as well.

New KLX230 models
Looks like they reshaped the front fender a little bit. The headlight is interesting. Wonder if it is a direct fit for the older models, or if you would have to replace the entire cowl and mounting bracket as well. If so, there are aftermarket options that would be a lot cheaper, like just swapping in a Cyclops bulb.

I feel bad you had bad luck with your wife's bike.[UWSL] [/UWSL]

[UWSL]The KLX Looks like a real nice bike. If you get to ride it some would be interested in your thoughts comparing it two your WR.[/UWSL]

Thanks! They had both colors in stock, the normal Kawasaki green and the olive. The olive was $200 off MSRP, the normal was full price. My wife liked the olive, and I liked the savings. :lol3
Okay, I must swallow my words about drab colors! Today I walked into the local Kawasaki shop and looked at the olive green 230. It actually looks better than the traditional Kawasaki green IMHO. Nice bike for the money. I drooled a little over the KLX300SM, they had one on the floor. Just tire kick'n!

Got two more things done today on the KLX...

Bikemaster heated grips:

20221008_173543.jpg

And SeatConcepts seat:

20221008_173531.jpg

On the heated grips, I used the Eastern Beaver 1 circuit system to have them automatically power off when the bike is off. Makes for really nice clean wiring.

:ricky

Also moved the Antigravity lithium battery over from her old WR to shave a few pounds, and hooked up the quick connect for the CTEK Lithium Smart Charger.

Looks like they reshaped the front fender a little bit. The headlight is interesting. Wonder if it is a direct fit for the older models, or if you would have to replace the entire cowl and mounting bracket as well. If so, there are aftermarket options that would be a lot cheaper, like just swapping in a Cyclops bulb.
Looks like it is not a direct fit. Looking at parts diagrams at Kawasaki.com, the headlight brackets are different part numbers. triple trees are also different part numbers. Can't tell from the diagrams, maybe the Headlight bracket mounting spots on the triple trees is different?
Can't find prices yet on the 2023 parts. For reference, 2022 headlight bracket is $200.

Now that my KTM 500 sold, I'm ready to buy a KLX230. Going to wait for the grey 2023s to show up at the dealers. Anyone have any idea what time of year the new models start showing up?

Looks like it is not a direct fit. Looking at parts diagrams at Kawasaki.com, the headlight brackets are different part numbers. triple trees are also different part numbers. Can't tell from the diagrams, maybe the Headlight bracket mounting spots on the triple trees is different?
Can't find prices yet on the 2023 parts. For reference, 2022 headlight bracket is $200.

Now that my KTM 500 sold, I'm ready to buy a KLX230. Going to wait for the grey 2023s to show up at the dealers. Anyone have any idea what time of year the new models start showing up?
Whoa, hold up a minute brougham...

You sold a 500exc-f in order to buy a klx230?

Usually goes the other way around; 230 - 350, 350 - 500.

Got to be a story here

Whoa, hold up a minute brougham...

You sold a 500exc-f in order to buy a klx230?

Usually goes the other way around; 230 - 350, 350 - 500.

Got to be a story here
I didn't sell the 500 in order to buy a 230.

The 500 wasn't being used enough. I have other projects I need funds for and the 500 was a big chunk of money just sitting there that I can use. I'm slowing down and getting ready to retire. Still plan to explore fireroads and trails, but done with single track . Was looking at buying a Honda CT125 but decided I want something a little quicker on the road so 230 seems to be a good option. Although, I find myself researching KLX300 and CRF300Ls

The only thing I'll miss is the lightweight of the 500

Top Bottom Back Refresh