What's new

KTM SMR 450 - Fun Commuter Times.

Pulled the seat, way easier than my Kawi. More "fun" wiring.... New battery on order, the old one was .72V

51912818537_4d58cf01c7_b.jpg

New battery installed. Headlight still draws it down to 12.15 ish. (not running)

20220303_172658.jpg

New turn signals, the old ones were 3/4 buried behind the number plate.

20220303_172658(0).jpg

Subframe has some cracks, should I be worried?

20220303_170628.jpg

Attachments

• 20220303_152746.jpg
    20220303_152746.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220303_172658.jpg
    20220303_172658.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220303_172658(0).jpg
    20220303_172658(0).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Yeah.... Wasn't planning on it, but should I worry about seat falling off? :D

I have a new tig welder..... But still learning!
Yes, probably. I would consider adding some reinforcement around the cracked area when you weld it back together, assuming there is enough clearance with the seat.

I tried to find a picture of a repair that had the end of the frame boxed in, but couldn't. I did find a picture a Duke frame with factory boxed ends. I think it make it less likely to crack again. Worse case, those frames seem to be $200-$300 on eBay.

1646371629275.png

Yes, probably. I would consider adding some reinforcement around the cracked area when you weld it back together, assuming there is enough clearance with the seat.

I tried to find a picture of a repair that had the end of the frame boxed in, but couldn't. I did find a picture a Duke frame with factory boxed ends. I think it make it less likely to crack again. Worse case, those frames seem to be $200-$300 on eBay.

1646371629275.png
Ah I see those reinforcement parts. I like that idea! Now to teach myself to weld aluminum

Went for a quick ride yesterday. Man this thing is fun. There is a little hesitation mid throttle, carb may need a cleaning or all old gas still.... May tear into and see if it's got a JD kit or not.

Kickstand worked fine

Weather was good. This thing is fun!
20220417_163056.jpg

I got the Trail Tech vapor speed issue figure it out. Every time I would input the wheel size, it wouldn't save it. If you're having this issue, go to the wheel size, enter 911 0 and hold the right arrow button down. That will factory reset everything.

Don't worry too much about those cracks in the subframe. They look scarier than they are.

There's a slug of solid aluminum shoved up in the ends of those tubes to keep them from crushing when you tighten the bolts. Due to corrosion that occurs between the tube and the slug it's practically impossible to get in there to clean things enough to weld the cracks. Aluminum must be squeaky clean to weld.

Moral of the story: they all have those cracks and trying to weld them will make a bigger mess and be weather than if you leave them alone.

And RE: countershafts. The one on my well flogged '02 520 is like new, but it's never seen pavement. If you're running pavement , run a crush hub. These front sprockets are pretty narrow.

Don't worry too much about those cracks in the subframe. They look scarier than they are.

There's a slug of solid aluminum shoved up in the ends of those tubes to keep them from crushing when you tighten the bolts. Due to corrosion that occurs between the tube and the slug it's practically impossible to get in there to clean things enough to weld the cracks. Aluminum must be squeaky clean to weld.

Moral of the story: they all have those cracks and trying to weld them will make a bigger mess and be weather than if you leave them alone.

And RE: countershafts. The one on my well flogged '02 520 is like new, but it's never seen pavement. If you're running pavement , run a crush hub. These front sprockets are pretty narrow.
Thanks for the input. That makes perfect sense on the subframe.

I will have to check and see if it has a crush hub. I am new the the KTM world and have zero clue what it is :D

That's supposed to say cush hub. Typo on my part.

The sprockets mount direct to the hub on dirt bikes. On street bikes the sprocket typically mounts to a carrier that interfaces with the wheel through rubber cushions ( cush hub ) to alleviate driveline shock slamming transmission parts together. Not an issue on dirt, but becomes an issues with sticky tires on pavement. Especially with a torquey RFS 😎

That's supposed to say cush hub. Typo on my part.

The sprockets mount direct to the hub on dirt bikes. On street bikes the sprocket typically mounts to a carrier that interfaces with the wheel through rubber cushions ( cush hub ) to alleviate driveline shock slamming transmission parts together. Not an issue on dirt, but becomes an issues with sticky tires on pavement. Especially with a torquey RFS 😎
Ah that makes sense! For some reason I thought it was on the engine side!

That likely means a whole new wheel then? Hard to say, but it sure looks traditionally bolted to the hub to me. Excel Rims.

1650299452513.png

That likely means a whole new wheel then? Hard to say, but it sure looks traditionally bolted to the hub to me. Excel Rims.

1650299452513.png
You could get a 640 hub and have it laced to your Excel rim

How big of an issue is a debated topic.

Occasional street use as a dual sport with knobby tires is a little more forgiving as compared to a sumo. Hooning on a sumo is going to be harder on things.

Is it gonna break parts immediately and you should park the bike? Certainly not.

Will it eventually cause problems? Factory street legal dual sports from KTM came without cush hubs. I'm pretty sure they still do. But the RFS bikes are known to have countershaft issues. Just like XR650L's come without cush hubs and are also known to have countershaft issues. Other dual sports that come with cush hubs don't have the same issues, so the evidence seems to point that way.

Everyone's story is different. I wouldn't miss a summer of riding over it, but I'd put some dollars aside and schedule it for a winter time upgrade. But that's just my opinion!

1650299452513.png
Something looks interesting about the center of your hub. Looks like a series of fasteners on the hub running around the inside of the sprocket? Maybe it's got an aftermarket cush already? I can't really tell what I'm looking at.

How big of an issue is a debated topic.

A friend bought a KTM500 new to do the TAT, when we got to Oregon, his countershaft was toast, the sprocket was eating through it. He picked up a new sprocket and had someone weld it to the countershaft so he could make the trip back across the country on the bike. How big of a problem is it? I don’t know but I did see it happen after a mostly dirt trip across the country.

From a non crush hub person I have zero clue.... sprocket is definitely bolted to an outer ring of bolts. But I don't see room for any rubber in there

20220418_185100.jpg

20220418_185046.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh