What's new

KTM SMR 450 - Fun Commuter Times.

Hmmm that is a thought!

I will have to do a bit more research.

How big of an issue are we talking here?
A 640 hub fits your bike, your Excel rim fits your bike. So what you need are spokes and labor. If you're handy, you can do the work yourself. If not, figure a hundred or two for a pro to do it

20220418_185100~2.jpg

These are the bolts that caught my eye. I guess your sprocket mounts to that flange that then bolts to the hub via these bolts? Sprocket adapter for an aftermarket/universal hub maybe?

Some aftermarket cush hubs have small urethane dampers so I thought you might have something similar. Not this exactly, but something along these lines.

That is not a standard KTM dirt bike hub but not sure exactly what it is?

Next time the bike is on a stand check for up/down play in the swing arm. Just put your fingers through the spokes and grab the top of the rear wheel and try to move it up and down. If there is any free play then it is most likely your bottom shock bearing or heim joint/bearing. You can replace these yourself with basic tools. Or by a motion Pro tool made to remove/instal them.

Read up or watch a video on the removal/installation before attempting it yourself. I can write a detailed explanation for you if you'd like. Basically the bearing is a press fit and you need to take care not to booger up the aluminum swing arm. Use a heat gun to heat the swing arm near the bearing. Freeze the new bearing before pressing it in.

Enjoy!

20220418_185100~2.jpg

These are the bolts that caught my eye. I guess your sprocket mounts to that flange that then bolts to the hub via these bolts? Sprocket adapter for an aftermarket/universal hub maybe?

Some aftermarket cush hubs have small urethane dampers so I thought you might have something similar. Not this exactly, but something along these lines.

Yes, it seems to be an adapter between the hub and sprocket. I wonder if anyone makes the adapter as a crush adapter?

That is not a standard KTM dirt bike hub but not sure exactly what it is?

Next time the bike is on a stand check for up/down play in the swing arm. Just put your fingers through the spokes and grab the top of the rear wheel and try to move it up and down. If there is any free play then it is most likely your bottom shock bearing or heim joint/bearing. You can replace these yourself with basic tools. Or by a motion Pro tool made to remove/instal them.

Read up or watch a video on the removal/installation before attempting it yourself. I can write a detailed explanation for you if you'd like. Basically the bearing is a press fit and you need to take care not to booger up the aluminum swing arm. Use a heat gun to heat the swing arm near the bearing. Freeze the new bearing before pressing it in.

Enjoy!
It is an Excel hub as well. Its an aftermarket wheel set. I did not notice any play when I was looking at the hub. But I will check again more closely.

A little commuter mod. Aubframe is stripped on one side.... I'll see if I can tap it larger and use a different bolt
20220507_141443.jpg

Well I have a few hundred miles on this thing now. Its a great commuter. Light and fun, with just enough power. Its loud though! Got the speedo working, and it seems to stay cool in traffic (not so much the operator....)

Got the mount for the rack fixed. Perfect for my mini brief case that holds my computer and some flip flops.

I am noticing a bit of surging under mid throttle and light load, say 3-3500 rpms, and you just go uphill a little, nothing bad, but I can feel the power come and go a bit. Carb cleaning? I know it sat for a couple years before I got it.

52272611645_63c34e6a95_b.jpg

Java, what tires and sizes are you running on that thing? Also, how big is that rear rack? I like the look..... going to do something similar with my 530exc

Java, what tires and sizes are you running on that thing? Also, how big is that rear rack? I like the look..... going to do something similar with my 530exc
No idea 🤣 I'll check when I'm home. That's a wide angle that makes the front look massive

150/70 17 rear 120/70 17 front

Rack is 7.5w x 8.5 long. Perfect for my little mini brief case.
20220808_171940.jpg

Well I have a few hundred miles on this thing now. Its a great commuter. Light and fun, with just enough power. Its loud though! Got the speedo working, and it seems to stay cool in traffic (not so much the operator....)

Got the mount for the rack fixed. Perfect for my mini brief case that holds my computer and some flip flops.

I am noticing a bit of surging under mid throttle and light load, say 3-3500 rpms, and you just go uphill a little, nothing bad, but I can feel the power come and go a bit. Carb cleaning? I know it sat for a couple years before I got it.

52272611645_63c34e6a95_b.jpg
Jetting sounds like. A bit lean will give some surging.

KTM Talk should have the info you seek

Top Bottom Back Refresh