What's new

New Mexico Trials Association NMTA

Ye olde one-man army is finished packing up with a literal ton of goods and headed to Oachado today to return 3-1/2 days later for one sleep before Sunday's San Yo event.

Fate has ordained that for decades, trials events either fall on conflicts or right after days of hard physical work :dunno
I can't remember the last time I rode an event 'fully rested' :twitch and often it shows. My fault, as adding land projects and being addicted to physical work is Zenjoy for me.

If I finish marking loop this trip that's a major milestone! I've only been at figuring and working a that for two years. On no more than 20% of the place :loco
When you all finally get to ride the place it might make sense why that was a challenge.

Late yesterday I slid out of my truck after the 2-1/2h drive home and four days of hard physical work doing what I said I would do: Provide the four TMs for my hosted May 4 & 5 event with
completed loop trail. Years of exploring with route planning, working trail segments over many many work sessions finally
came together:ostrich

When my feet hit the ground out of the truck... I found it was hard to walk! The missus came out, looked me over, and shook her head. "I'll help you unload..." Yes, thank you....

After sharing a tub with my dirt and being fed spaghetti, I mused, "I don't have what it takes to load up, much less to compete tomorrow." She says, "well, I was wondering when you'd come
to that conclusion."
I slept until 9am and haven't moved much today. Sorry to miss another event, but there only so much a jackass can give:dhorse

To find creative ways to connect together interesting terrain:
Helluva PM Section Area.jpg

I cut trees and a gazillion branches just on this property, but the worst is always the brush. I kiss New Mexico for NOT being in brush-from-hell-terrain where a mass effort has the Brush Borg
mocking, "You shall be assimilated." And inside of two years at that!

A big help was getting turned on years ago to this miracle tool that fits in a back pocket:
Corona Saw.jpg

The poor chain saw is mostly stored away and feeling lonely.

Loop Trail Work.jpg

The biggest cut this time was a 5" diameter branch. A 3-1/2" tree is not much challenge....
I managed to put a dullness into a couple of saws this trip so I ordered three more. Aside from the usual hundred cuts from brush, I managed to nick myself bloody four times with the Corona saw:mulie

Some runs of brush I put off dealing with for years. Necessity being a mother, I pushed hard this trip to do the long envisioned, many times. Some vid of the temporary misery:

Good news for the TMs is that many section areas are already quite clean and those that need clearing are not a jungle.

My thanks to gimpy-knee Sam who came out to help on day two, and Doc Joe who came out late that afternoon to feed us! Good friends, good times!

Last edited:
That Corona saw has been my standard hand saw for years. That's a good price, as my local farm store sells them for about $8 more. I've sacrificed a few to the trail gods! In the big woods of the northeast we have lots of downfalls, so a chainsaw is still needed. My Stihl MS170, which was a $75 yard sale find 15 plus years ago does the job well.

Nhuskys, you sound like a real brush and trees man! I've done ridiculous amounts of silviculture and forestry management work over 43 years and appreciate great, simple tools.

My refreshed horde of Corona 10" folding saws:
Corona Saw Refresh.jpg

The curved blade, that hook-flare at the grab end, and the tooth design are absolute brilliant, ergonomically and for cutting productivity.

For chainsaws I have two Makita (Dolmar) DSC 401 chainsaws. great saw and the only weakness was the coils would sometimes cause intermittent no start and need replacing. My latest Makita (Dolmar) is the EA4300 16"... a really nice saw. I still have my first chainsaw, a 1981 Husqvarna 61 Rancher 20". Powerful as heck, but I prefer the lighter saws.

Nhuskys, you sound like a real brush and trees man! I've done ridiculous amounts of silviculture and forestry management work over 43 years and appreciate great, simple tools.

My refreshed horde of Corona 10" folding saws:
Corona Saw Refresh.jpg

The curved blade, that hook-flare at the grab end, and the tooth design are absolute brilliant, ergonomically and for cutting productivity.

For chainsaws I have two Makita (Dolmar) DSC 401 chainsaws. great saw and the only weakness was the coils would sometimes cause intermittent no start and need replacing. My latest Makita (Dolmar) is the EA4300 16"... a really nice saw. I still have my first chainsaw, a 1981 Husqvarna 61 Rancher 20". Powerful as heck, but I prefer the lighter saws.
My Razorback Off Road rack on my X-Trainer.
IMG_7473.jpeg

Nice Trainer!

Which Stihl is that? 12"?

I've been thinking of a dinky saw to carry around like that. Some would say do that in electric and I do use Makita 18V so have batteries.

Nice Trainer!

Which Stihl is that? 12"?

I've been thinking of a dinky saw to carry around like that. Some would say do that in electric and I do use Makita 18V so have batteries.
16" bar. It had a 14" which I used for many years, but Stihl stopped selling non-safety chain in that size. Not a powerhouse, but not a toy. I can cut pretty good size hardwood logs with it. Friend with the KTM behind me uses a small Stihl electric saw. Good for trimming and small logs.

OMG the administrative/CEO/physical burdens of hosting an event on my virgin property has been eye opening. But I'm loving every minute of it!

Having a What's App group has helped communication immensely. Oh how I hate group SMS! It's be nice to get the whole club off SMS and onto What's App.

I am so thankful to have a very motivated support team. Everyone who has signed up as TMs and come out just to help is apparently quite impressed as they keep coming back!

Only 15 days to go now....!

OMG the administrative/CEO/physical burdens of hosting an event on my virgin property has been eye opening. But I'm loving every minute of it!

Having a What's App group has helped communication immensely. Oh how I hate group SMS! It's be nice to get the whole club off SMS and onto What's App.

I am so thankful to have a very motivated support team. Everyone who has signed up as TMs and come out just to help is apparently quite impressed as they keep coming back!

Only 15 days to go now....!

So looking forward to this event! I'll be up this weekend to help with clearing and setting!

NMTrailboss, you Mr. W, SC, BB, and JB were absolutely critical in me barely pulling off being trusted for my first hosted NMTA event at Les Falaises.

And here I have been trusted to host a 2-day event on another first-time property, Oachado. Glutton for self punishment but :loco but the this time sections will be set earlier than the day before the event! :clap

Top Bottom Back Refresh