What's new

New Mexico Trials Association NMTA

Yep, I am aware that a member would only get 14 points per season for TM, after that, it's just setting sections. But since I am now in Uppers, I figgered I could ride uppers and set lowers. I would prefer though to not be TM, but am willing to step up if needed. So, my hat is in there as an offer if no one else wants to TM in Mora.
I agree and thank you for stepping up Sam! I also agree it would be best if we could find another TM to do this event and fill our TM slots at 'Bene's awesome playground but it is great to know we have a back up plan just in case! :thumb Or at the very least maybe a helper that could come out for a day or two and help clear and set for another TM.

Glad you enjoyed , grege. HPTA is an innovative club birthed and maintained by very experienced riders and volunteers.

Glad you enjoyed my marking system!

It's the 2018 version of my marking system. Last year I slightly revised the system to make more efficient the Master/Champ line issue, only so I could address that issue if there was any interest some day in a major labor and waste reduction. Call the slight tweak, 'the 2022 version.'

This design came out of working with and improving a number of club marking systems. I had two whole other systems, one based on flags, the other on printed cards, that weren't good enough. Mistakes are the best teacher! The point of all the work was to create a simple and highly visible system that applies to all events from the elements from the past that work very well while adding a few . The main point was to reduce the amount of labor to set quality events - by as much as 75%, reduce the amount of support materials to set sections by more than 75%, and to reduce the bulk of repeating waste by at least 75% repeating waste. this will improving the ergonomics and visibility of the system. All goals were met in the HPTA example, and suspect that is why they have stuck with the standard. At the McClellan event, I provided Monty with new high quality gate flags as the club was still on the original set from 2018!

The system was applied to HPTA's one event per day, but it applies to all events no matter the number per day or rider skill level bandwidth. It's NOT a class-based system but rather a system of lines, with classes assigned consistently to lines.

The best way to understand this system is to set with it and ride under it. If anyone wants further detail about it just say so request it and I'll post that a separate thread.

The base features of the system as applied to HPTA's needs.
HPTA Lines & Assigned Classes.JPG

The HPTA reference card (laminated) for section setters and unfamiliar riders.
Note HPTA's unique approach to the fun gate trials. The points are upside-down, easier gates get more points (more is good) so that all skill levels ride the same sections. The better riders try the harder stuff and get penalized for that. We use the rule that if you dab even once in a section you lose all the accumulating points, so it all works out very well.

HPTA Class Reference Card.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, I am aware that a member would only get 14 points per season for TM, after that, it's just setting sections. But since I am now in Uppers, I figgered I could ride uppers and set lowers. I would prefer though to not be TM, but am willing to step up if needed. So, my hat is in there as an offer if no one else wants to TM in Mora.
Yes, Sam, thanks the help - any help! I'll leave that last TM slot open. If no one else steps up I can take on that role. What matters to this host is - thanks to all who stepped up - I'll be having no white-knuckle problems in April regarding TMs.

Motobene I am interested in setting lowers for your event. I could probably even come early and help with clearing etc. This would be my second TM of the year (Sipapu in July) so it would be need to be approved by the bosslady first. Especially cause I want to ride Sportsman for points that weekend as well... Not sure how that would play out. But If I can't set, I'd be happy to help out in other aspects. I'm an hour and change away from your spot.
Ran it by Bosslady who said we'll secure that last TM and it's best if you don't double up. She really appreciates you stepping up to help.

Anyone who comes before the event to help in any capacity will be welcome to bring their home-away-from-home up and leave it for the duration.

Bit of El Ninyo weather news from a neighbor. This last storm just dumped 16+ inches of the white stuff onto Oachado. That and more this winter would be good news for forest health and reducing fire risk.
It's been on and off with dry some years running now with small snowfalls that have not been deep enough to account for much soil moisture after the usual sublimation (gassing off). More snow this winter will reduce beetle kill and fire risk.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! Let me know when you start heading back there this spring and I'll come with you to help clear etc. Or just drink beer and point at things that need to be done while holding a shovel...

Thanks for posting the flyer! The gutsiness of this repeating annual event is so HPTA, and I miss my friends there every time I can't make an HPTA event.

Life is full of buts...
butts.jpg

...and the last time I disappeared from family for 3 days during the family's absolute more important period of the year, some family were butts about it. So thereafter, the planners made sure to make that impossible for me to go anywhere between Christmas and New Year's.

That's not a bad thing, as this old man's family is way cool and he has some REALLY happy grand children!
Super Mario Toad.jpg

Okay. I'm a bitch. Too much stuff to do to get away and have fun with my bitches. I mean my buddies. Have a good time y'all and stay cool.

Hair of the Dog New Years trials with High Plains Trials Association can be risky. We've seen near zero temps and snow, wind chills that make us question our own sanity. We're a special bunch that just shows up to ride and party and celebrate the end of another year, weather be damned. We were graced this weekend with what might be the best riding conditions you could ask for. No wind, hero sand, sunny and mid 50s. Spectacular!
A record 29 riders showed up here in Roswell representing 4 states that I counted (WY,CO,TX,NM)! 3 virgin riders brought new bikes to learn on and meet the club (s).
Saturday fun trials I managed to nab 3rd place out of 21.
Sunday real trials I came in 6th in class. Little lower than I had hoped but being within 2-3 points of some guys who typically ride 1-2 classes higher than me tells me I rode like a badass (as does the multiple accolades that people gave me).
Dad killed his class for a 2nd place podium knocking out a few veterans that "haven't put a foot down in years" according to some.
Memories were made by all. Knowledge was spread, lies were told, much laughter erupted from all corners of camp. History was recorded on the walls.
Thank you everyone. We appreciate you all! Happy 2024!!

1704137399799.png
1704137412790.png

Last edited:
Bummed that I missed it. I could have added another state to the list. An extreme case of plantar faciiitis had me on the couch this weekend.

Hair of the Dog New Years trials with High Plains Trials Association can be risky. We've seen near zero temps and snow, wind chills that make us question our own sanity. We're a special bunch that just shows up to ride and party and celebrate the end of another year, weather be damned. We were graced this weekend with what might be the best riding conditions you could ask for. No wind, hero sand, sunny and mid 50s. Spectacular!
A record 29 riders showed up here in Roswell representing 4 states that I counted (WY,CO,TX,NM)! 3 virgin riders brought new bikes to learn on and meet the club (s).
Saturday fun trials I managed to nab 3rd place out of 21.
Sunday real trials I came in 6th in class. Little lower than I had hoped but being within 2-3 points of some guys who typically ride 1-2 classes higher than me tells me I rode like a badass (as does the multiple accolades that people gave me).
Dad killed his class for a 2nd place podium knocking out a few veterans that "haven't put a foot down in years" according to some.
Memories were made by all. Knowledge was spread, lies were told, much laughter erupted from all corners of camp. History was recorded on the walls.
Thank you everyone. We appreciate you all! Happy 2024!!

1704137399799.png
1704137412790.png
Holy shit, the Crown Royal bag dog sweater made me laugh!!! Awesome!!!

While y'all were having fun near Roswell, I was in Denver with the kiddos. Sad to miss another recent event. Been to many of those schedule collisions lately.

The NMTA 4 & 5 event will be at my Oachado place with prep work sprinkled out until then. We'll hit it hard in April, and I need to get in my work of fully marked loop trail BEFORE the first working days of the TMs.

WEATHER THIS YEAR
Oachado gets snows of course, but most years they will melts off instead of building up. We typically have access all year long, but this is a strong El Ninyo year which could result in building snow pack on the access road, and patches of snow enduring into April. My neighbor reports as of January 8, 37" of snow have fallen on Oachado.
Snow Trigger.JPG

LOOP TRAIL
I'm planning ONE loop trail with sections from ALL FOUR events scattered along it. The two AM events will use less of the loop to avoid steeper and rougher loop trail.

COMMUNICATION
Oachado is a new place, unfamiliar to most. Critical will be familiarization visits by TMs. Thereafter, TMs will be able to go there and work independent of me, but never alone.

Very helpful would be all the TMs and some event volunteers on one What's App group. I will send invites. Oachado is in a 3G area. I've had simple texts fail to upload at Oachado when a VIDEO What's App will have no issues! What's App is an international, encrypted, communication tool that is easy to download and use and mind-blowing efficient.

And it's time to abandon texting. For one, I'd sure not miss the insane flurry of group text notifications. Ding ding ding, duh ding! Gaak!

TM-HOST COORDINATION
My aim is for a very high quality event at Oachado and making the TM experience fun and efficient.

Have you spent many hours planning and clearing a section, only to return to another TM's section plastered across and claiming your hard work? I have. The Oachado event will have four event's worth of sections along the same general loop, so plenty of opportunity for TMs stepping on other TM toes.

I'm borrowing the top four line-hierarchy flags for gates from my marking system to make a handy tool for section area claiming. The aim if for TMs to secure their section area to later marking with the mandated NMTA system.
Section Area TM Claiming Hierarchy.jpg

Each TM to get from me 40 flags in their event color. Flags are not bulky and easy to carry. Example, through two pants belt loops. TMs to ride the already-marked loop and claim up to 10 section areas for their event.

The method is 4 flags per one section area. Two flags where the section entrance is claimed, and two for the exit. What the section number is, and which flags are entrance and exit, and where perimeter tape might go in between isn't important to specifically define up front. What is important is that the other TMs will who is claiming an area and for what event. The TM claiming can then return later to pull the one-color flags and mark with the NMTA marking system.

Very simple.

And since every TM will know who and what event by the one color, communication is direct and easy. "Hey Chuck! I see you have claimed that area over there (pointing)." "Yeah, it's a good one." "Hey could you show me where you intend to run perimeter tape so I can claim the area next to it?" "No problem, let's go look."

Easy peasy.

WORK DAYS (WHEN)
I'll keep you all up top date on when I'm going up if anyone wants to join me for a particular trip.

Right now the windows are vague, as in some time(s) between January 13 and 21, February 17 to 11 March, and after the NMTA April event.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh