What's new

New Mexico Trials Association NMTA

Glorieta event was awesome, even epic.

My ride at times beautiful, but I managed my usual mistakes on Saturday to roll-over tape for a 5 and a 3 because I was having trouble positioning my foot over the rear brake pedal for 3rd place. Then on Sunday I had two ridiculous stall 5s which knocked me all the way down to 6th. I was trying to find my calm place and as a result was under agressive on the throttle.

The deflation of one's ego is one reason trials is a fantastic sport.
some days you're the windshield,
sometimes you're the bug...

๐Ÿ˜€

1695214613608.png

And then the following weekend NMTA!
1695214522502.png

2024 NMTA 2-day 'Velcro Rocks' Event at Oachado in the Mora Hogbacks - May 4 & 5

TAKEAWAY: I am looking to secure all four TMs by the January club banquet. Please volunteer and spread the word, like linking this page to the NMTA thread in the 'other place', thanks!
Pink Rocks Hogback.JPG

The April 2023 Les Falaises (lay-fah-lez) 1-day event and school run the day before by Chuck and Bill was a success. I was wondering if the club would ping me about an event in 2024, and about a month back dent, Jess called to see if I've be interested in hosting a 2024 event and asking if I'd want a 2-day. I said, "Heck yeah!" My plan has long been to host a second event, but instead of repeating at Les Falaises I wanted showcase Oachado (oh-ah-sha-dew), near Mora, 2-1/2 hour drive from Albuquerque (Les Falaises was 1-3/4h). We discussed dates and settled so far on May 4 & 5 (to be finalized at the January banquet). May in that location and altitude should be clear of winter, and not yet hot. Read: perfect!

Jess was surprised that I didn't also want to TM one of the four events. Normally I would, but the Les Falaises event was under the usual labor shortage. Setting an event on a virgin property ended up as a mostly one-man army effort, and I'm not getting any younger. The few guys who came days before and helped and also those who helped the day before saved my ass!

I am more prepared in advance instead of less. I decided when showcasing Oachado, another event virgin, to concentrate on every thing else, and return, make life MUCH easier for those who sign up as TMs. I'll have fully marked loop trails by mid March, before TM first visits.

As for working section areas, I have done huge work on this second property spanning 3 years, with much section-area work already done. There is a lot to choose from that is like the above photo: very interesting and already accessible.

WHAT TMs SHOULD KNOW
While I won't be a TM, I'll certainly be around to help. And I'll be doing a bunch of what TMs are normally saddled with, like loop trail and having to clear a bunch of section areas. Oachado may be an event-virgin property, it's NOT an trials-virgin property. It's been worked on and ridden A LOT, and I plan to have fully marked loop trail by mid March. Given most section areas are more open like the above photo, the TMs won't have some crazy amount of clearing work. I've done a lot of that already, and there's SO much to choose from. If a TM is really enamored by some area that has not been worked, and really wants develop that section area, fine. But on the whole there won't be a ton of clearing. Also, after a first visit by two or more TMs, how to get there and how to get in will be known and I won't have to be there. TMs will be able to leave camper there too. My only rule is no one day trips, camps, or rides alone!

I think it given my setup work that it will be possible for any TM to mark a quality event in as little as two working days. I will show every TM around and provide guidance on section areas suitable to their event. I have a flag-based methods for TMs to claim section areas so other TMs won't 'steal' them. Once minor clearing and riding in and and thinking is done, it will be possible to return later and mark an event in one working day.

NMTA club communication isn't easy. It doesn't help that I'm still too pissed to return to the 'other place.' Someone please link this page to the 'other place' so the word can go out that I need TMs.

Last edited:
The May 4 & 5 date for Oachado was verbally confirmed to me yesterday as firm. As of today, 11 December:

EVENT TRIALS MASTERS (TMs):
Saturday AM Neil S
Saturday PM Chuck S
Sunday AM
Sunday PM Joey H

One more TM to go.

Thank you all SO much! It's really going to be fun and you all will love the place!

Deep winter typically has few snowfall events and the snow doesn't linger and accumulate, storm to storm. This is a La Ninya winter, however, so we might actually end up with more snow than usual, but I expect it all to be gone by no later than mid April.

I'm planning some work days, which I will announce, from end of February into the first half of March. Then April will get busier after the NMTA event.

Our trailer never moves, so we just go up and stay in it. It will sleep up to 5. TMs are welcome to bring and leave their own trailers. Where we stay is a half mile behind locked gated access. Few other property owners use the access road, and so far over two years, our cameras have never captured anyone checking out where we stay.

Winter in an RV has not been a problem for us. We bring our drinking and cooking water. We can 'go' outdoors or indoors to, as we convert the RV toilet into water free by stretching a white kitchen trash bag over the toilet rim. Works wonders!

At night our preference is to not heat the trailer after we go to bed. With lots of blankets and weight on us, and a jacket over our dog, we're very cozy even with it below freezing inside. The first person up flips on the propane heat to break the extreme chill, we start and plug in our small quiet inverter generator. Keurig coffee is made, then the generator continues to idle along and heat via the fake electric fireplace (I used the think of them as kitsch garbage, but now I like them!). In extreme cold we'll we'll burn a bit more propane during the day.

All for now.

Last edited:
Probably not the best place to put this question... but since New Mexicans seem to be the only ones active here, I figured what the heck. Any gossip floating around about the HPTA's Hair of the Dog for this year?

Probably not the best place to put this question... but since New Mexicans seem to be the only ones active here, I figured what the heck. Any gossip floating around about the HPTA's Hair of the Dog for this year?

Last I heard, it was happening but I have no other details other than that.

I'm planning some work days, which I will announce, from end of February into the first half of March. Then April will get busier after the NMTA event.
I am hoping to be able to come up at least one weekend in April to help in whatever way I can (setting sections, clearing, trail marking, etc.). Will watch for your announcements on work days when the time gets closer. Real glad to hear there are already some TM's on the list! :clap

Last edited:
Thanks so much! You, Wendel, and Steve (and Bruce and others) saved my butt at Les Falaises. Thanks for stepping up again.

HPTA was and is a great club! Able to break free and do new and simple things. Joey H was telling me about the ice event, Sunday at Lake McLellan! Now I live farther away. Always had a lot of fun at Hair of the Dog, where it can be sunny and warm, or a blizzard and like 5 degrees. Either way, always fun! This year we're off with family in Colorado, so I'll miss another one.

HPTA was and is a great club! Able to break free and do new and simple things. Joey H was telling me about the ice event, Sunday at Lake McLellan! Now I live farther away. Always had a lot of fun at Hair of the Dog, where it can be sunny and warm, or a blizzard and like 5 degrees. Either way, always fun! This year we're off with family in Colorado, so I'll miss another one.
Definitely a fun group of folks. I really enjoy how they do things with such a small group of people. Colored flags, group set and riding the sections backwards for a gate fun trial on Saturday. I've been looking forward to this event all year. Last year was a lot of fun and the weather couldn't have been better.

Motobene I am interested in setting lowers for your event. I could probably even come early and help with clearing etc. This would be my second TM of the year (Sipapu in July) so it would be need to be approved by the bosslady first. Especially cause I want to ride Sportsman for points that weekend as well... Not sure how that would play out. But If I can't set, I'd be happy to help out in other aspects. I'm an hour and change away from your spot.

Motobene I am interested in setting lowers for your event. I could probably even come early and help with clearing etc. This would be my second TM of the year (Sipapu in July) so it would be need to be approved by the bosslady first. Especially cause I want to ride Sportsman for points that weekend as well... Not sure how that would play out. But If I can't set, I'd be happy to help out in other aspects. I'm an hour and change away from your spot.
1702492748916.png

You would basically be using your extra TM day as a 0 to drop in your YE points.

Should be easy enough to find another lower TM between now and then. Hell if dad is already signed up maybe I will too since we'll be there already.

I'd hold off and go for your points!

You would basically be using your extra TM day as a 0 to drop in your YE points.

Should be easy enough to find another lower TM between now and then. Hell if dad is already signed up maybe I will too since we'll be there already.

I'd hold off and go for your points!
While you are correct that he can only get credit for TM points once per season, he can still set a Lower event and receive the points he gets for riding Sportsman at that event (if it plays out that way). Just will not get credit for being a TM that day even though he did all the work.
Even on a regular TM day we have had a TM decide to ride Uppers after setting Lowers and receive their points for the ride instead of TM points. That decision has to be made prior to starting the event through...can't wait until you ride and then choose which score is higher.

Yep, I am aware that a member would only get 14 points per season for TM, after that, it's just setting sections. But since I am now in Uppers, I figgered I could ride uppers and set lowers. I would prefer though to not be TM, but am willing to step up if needed. So, my hat is in there as an offer if no one else wants to TM in Mora.

Top Bottom Back Refresh