What's new

New Mexico Trials Association NMTA

Reposted from Facebook
Hello fellow NMTA members this is Heath Bobb. Not sure how many people will read this but I figured this is a start. Most of our current membership did not know my parents but I would like people to know that my mom Jean Bobb passed away last night the 2nd of July. I am hoping those that did and maybe have contact with any members from the era spanning 1977 through the mid 2000's can pass this along. She did not begin her trials career until she was 46. With several women competing they formed their own class which was originally called "Powder Puff" class. Anyone who knew any of them would agree there was not a single "Powder Puff" in the group. It was soon dubbed the WOW class or Women on Wheels. The NMTA was a huge part of their lives and they witnessed hundreds come and go over the years. She was a former President and many times WOW class champion. She rode competitively into her 60's. I do not remember the year and cannot locate the plaque but the club honored her with what I believe to be the first and only to this date "Lifetime Achievement" award. If you knew her please spread this news to any "old timers" you may know.
Thank you so very much for your time.
My sincerest regards
Heath
Pic courtesy of Lineaway, circa 1986
lake-fork-jpg.jpg

As we mourn the loss of another of our trials family, we head into one of our most spectacular venues. Lets have a great weekend everyone. Rumor mill says we have 5+ master riders coming??

_nc_ohc=lmoNl3fxP3MAX87bfY0&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.jpg

These last few weeks I've added to Al's passing a cluster of family, friends, and acquaintances. I plan to attend both days of Sipapu in honor of friends, passed and living. Then after a few days it's off to Denver for a memorial service of a 48-year acquaintance of mine and deeper friend of Doc's. His memorial service in Denver area took out a long planned DS ride with Doc, Bruce, and Burton. Who knows, maybe I'll ride the 701 up there alone for a bit more contemplation-alone time?

Speaking of alone, I just spent a long stint on my mountain property and kept getting word in daily phone calls of more people passing. Tic tock, tic tock.... That was just weird.

The 'mountain property' has been a 2-year project, worked mostly this old man whose dreams and goals are bigger than any one person, much less one on a short timeline. I do it gladly, for the joy beautifying and making accessible what is already there. Normal exercise would make me drop dead with boredom. Thankfully land work in such a place is anything BUT boring! And I am thankful that I can still push my body hard without it dropping dead.

I often pay a present cost to my obsession that all rural properties I buy and manage should also be excellent trials venues in the future tense and sense: coming to events in a physically depleted state! It happens A LOT! It's one thing to push in exercise, but any athlete knows you have to be rested up and recovered to perform well. A great example of the usual is TOMORROW at Sipapu. I'm sore and dragging around :-(
Wall of the 1st Ridge 2.JPG

The Zen-working alone time, and the resulting 'art', is somewhat vain if only frequented by critters ghosts, and the occasional poacher. My hope is that some of you will want to come share it with me.

Here's a Smugmug video link to some of the recent goings on. Once in there you can browse whatever else I put in the Gallery, as I have made the gallery settings public. Just click on the small right or left arrows. Some GoPro vids to be added later today:

Last edited:
Looks amazing Chris!

Been a rough year for the club and a lot of people not club related. :(

See you this weekend.

Fellow NMTA-ers, a small story for you containing good and bad news.

Recall this thread regarding my pro bono work on behalf of an old timer seeking to get back into trials after a decade-plus absence?

Jeff Boggs showed up for my Les Falaises event and got re-excited about trials. He then sought a trials bike for himself and found a 200 GasGas for sale in Tijeras. Knowing nothing about the Pro model GasGas bikes he asked for help and I stepped up to became his technical consultant to go look it over on an early Sunday morning.

We wound our way into the hills of Tijeras to find a Harley Rider's house with a little yellow trials bike outside the garage, ready to show. The guy knew NOTHING about trials, and had tried to ride the weird thing on trails and decided that was enough for him and he put it up for sale. I found the bike in unusually good shape for the age with the motor and gearbox issues that can come up with these bike absent. The usual wear here and there like a totally roached fossil of a rear tire. The worst was a blown shock and leaking fork seals. Then I looked closely at the shock and was surprised to find an Ohlins shock there instead of the usual Sachs shock. The Sachs is actually a fine shock, but the specs were horrid, and for many years they were assembling the things with the piston in backwards (seriously). I told Jeff in private that he should buy this bike as it would be perfect for him as THE lightest trials bike ever and with ample but unintimidating power. He felt that too.

On the drive back to ABQ, yellow bike resting on a Bud-Cole-donated, monstrously heavy rear bumper rack, I determined to volunteer my expertise and the rest of the day to Jeff and his new bike.

Back in my garage I got carried away, and Jeff got to see me in my intense-mechanic mode, going through a bike I knew so well. We got it to this point by the end of that first day, as in clean and fully maintained, but needing some final steps to become 'like new':
2006 GasGas 160 Left.jpg

Jeff go the usual center muffler crack TIG welded, and I rebuilt the shock adding the Long Travel Ohlins mod. I donated to the cause not only my time, but a new D803GP rear tire, new DID chain, new sprockets and even a new later-design kickstart lever because... what would I do with it? No longer a dealer, and I'd never own a GasGas again, right? :-) When stripping the bike down I saw an A. Moines sticker on the frame by the upper shock. Years earlier I had bought in Oklahoma a used 2005 GasGas 125 with a 225 top end kit with that exact same sticker! Neat bike! I later sold it to one of my trials schools students because he liked it so much.

I strongly suggested new green SKF fork seals as they are the best. Jeff got the front tire AND green SKF fork seals for the 40mm open cartridge Zokes. He got both from Carl. Amazing! what local dealer stocks green SKF fork seals for 40mm Zokes?? I ordered a seal head from my buddy Randy Lewis in CA. A trip to OKie and my machine shop, where I rebuilt the shock AND did the long-travel Ohlins mod.

Back in NM I completed the work. Looking up my notes from a 2005 GasGas I owned, 5W in the rebound side and 10W in the compression side was the hot ticket to modernizing the forks.

The test ride revealed a new feeling, perfect jetted motor, and suspension to match, and in the case of the rear end exceed, the 2023 bikes. I wasn't sure if the old suspension linkage ratio would work with the long-travel mod, but it did! No more foot hurting, short-feeling harsh rear suspension. I was very impressed with the bike, and at the following San Yo event Jeff got a lot of positive comments about how nice the bike looked and how well it was running and working.

I was very happy for him. The good news was adding a trials rider back into the fold! Jeff reported feeling somewhat hammered by his re-intro to trials. I told him that the same happened to me when I quit for six years and came back, and that it would get better. Hang in there!

Jeff then signed up for the training event at Lake Fork and having a great time. It was hammering him some but he was doing OK. Then right at the end when kick starting his bike, something happened to his right knee. He had to load up the bike and limp around.

Jeff expressed worry that he had dome some damage. I told him to hang in there!

It turns out he did do some damage and said he didn't think he could keep it up (the bad news) as it threatened other things he also wants to do. I told him to hang in there!

Then he reported his intention to sell the bike. He said he'd rather 'sell it to someone in the club', and given I had just been thinking about doing one-on-one training again, and wouldn't it be nice to have a spare trials bike in storage at BOTH the properties.... So I asked him what he wanted for Old Yaller and bought the bike. It was a no brainer.

The strange coincidence is in owning my second A. Moines GasGas. Does anyone know who A. Moines is, or was?

Last edited:
Old Yaller has a new home on the mountain property.
IMG_9547.jpeg

IMG_9548.jpeg

I used it as my get-around at Sipapu when I wasn't competing. Amazing the creeping potential of this bike. 160cc on top of a short stroke crank and with the 125 primary ratio. The bike sticks like glue and can creep up ridiculously steep slopes at very low rpm.

Riding at Sipapu I realized I had the suspension still in the first stage after the rebuild: wide-open clickers, which is something I typically do after suspension work to determine what fastest reacting feels like. The long-travel Ohlins and open cartridge 40mm Zokes were reacting too fast in the 80+ degree ambient, so I started dialing the clickers in. The suspension on this bike is VERY good, with the rear suspension being at par with the best of any 2023 bike, thanks to the long travel mod.

I'll do several more details on this bike. Larger foot pegs. I wonder if the new Sherco pegs are based on the standard clevices? The new GasGas pegs are not. Sherco-bend bars would improve the ergonomics. And give the throttle-side grip already has a munged-up end, implement a set of S3 TRI FIX grips, which I have taken a shine to lately and finally gone away from stark minimalism in trials grips, as in not holing them and not using bar-end plugs.

I bought TRI FIX grips for the Beta 390 and Husqvarna 701 and must say I really do like this design! Very smart. Still small diameter trials pattern, which I crave (I hate fat-short grips), and the details impress, like the plastic core of the clutch-side grip and clamping screw on the metal ring. And after eschewing bar-end plugs since 1987, I will also start using bar-end plugs on a trials bike as they are finally a clean solution with these grips. Everyone crashes eventually :-)
S3 TRI FIX Grips.jpg

Last edited:
The July 8-9 2023 NMTA Sipapu event was awesome! On the breezy hot side in keeping with the regional weather pattern, and very well attended, what with folks from all over the west as part of Conquer The West series Winona told me about on Sunday. Bruce and Courtney did the sections and the 'national character' of the event showed, as it was generally quite technical and at times a bit scary (for me anyway).

Lance & Lincoln at the ending ceremony:
The Guys.jpg

I had expended myself more severely than usual at my mountain property the prior few weeks (I set high goals for both properties, and always feel behind). Saturday was a real push for me, and when Sunday came along I decided it wise to lay off. The result was the ability to snap photos and take some vids. A few were requested by riders. It took me a while to get back into videographer mode and stop shaking or fumbling the zoom levels on my iPhone 12.

I did like the sections! Very creative in their ability to bore a little hole right into the forehead of confidence! But some of our NMTA-ers rode as though the event was not biggie at all, coming in with remarkably low scores.

Use one of the following links to get into the public folder on my Smugmug account. Once in you can look at anything in there. Like this photo:

Or this video... where Bob was rather proud of this direct-line solution in section (was it 5, or 6?) on Sunday. You know the saying, "Old age and treachery out-do youth and skill!" That's my secret too :-)

Throughout today I will be pushing up video files to Elon's Starlink satellites in whizzing overhead in space.

Enjoy....

Last edited:
Just coming from 2 fun hill climbs on section 3 and 4. I WAS reved up to do more than follow everyone else. I made it look lame that time. The other two times I made it l ook like a hard splatter. Fun times.
It was an event of challenges worthy of revving up!

As a fellow class member of the 'old-guys club' in I count you as a hero of persistent grit, able to win or place high in the group, and always with a twinkle in the blue eyes. It's long been a pleasure to compete against and with you. With age comes a careful calculation of line choices to best youth and skill with a certain treachery of acquired wisdom.

I'm just back from Denver and a memorial service for a friend who died suddenly. Strange to get to the age when younger friends start dying.

Each generation is like group bubbles that form on the surface of water. Each bubble coming up from somewhere deep, suddenly appearing on the surface as noisy, squirming baby, but inside the gas that makes our bubble is in a way fully formed in a we are who we are sort of way. A breeze moves us - the bubbles in the same general direction (we call that time). Some bubbles drift closer together, some farther apart. Some of us pop or get popped early (we call that death) with our 'gas' blending back out into the whole. Over time the popping of bubbles becomes more frequent until a crescendo of little pops, when when whole group clears out, making way for bubbles that rose to the surface later. Some bubbles retain a spirit of youth and adventure.

My friend Ed lived a very full life as a highly independent bubble, loved by many, and going WFO and 'crashing' a lot, causing many 'Ed stories.' This sort of life, driven from within, wore his bubble out and he popped a bit early. Had had 9 lives but lived 12.

Last edited:
Interesting article. Not the best writing, but no one's fast effort is. The photo chosen postures speed. Then again that's what everyone expects about motorcycles.

Best thing about that trial, for 50 bucks my back quit hurting. Way cheaper than any dr visit and very effective. You could do that without spending the 50 bucks, but it is hard to duplicate a double front flip in a very steep space and have your bike park itself against a well placed log.

Best thing about that trial, for 50 bucks my back quit hurting.

Same thing for my dad. He had been all but laid up for the previous week. By sat morn he was better but still pretty bad. Didn't expect to finish a loop.

He came back to the bus after his loops, grabbed a beer and sat down. Few mnutes later he gos "HUH! My back feels freaking GREAT!"
:photog

Rats! Oh well, the cancellation will give me more time to prep the 701 for leaving on the 17th for the WYBDR.

Now I'm at the family cabin with a friend recovering from surgery, then tomorrow moving a propane tank to another property.

Life is good!

And I'm back from up yonder. So sorry about Lake Fork, but whew! My plate is full.

While up in the mountains one to-do was making Old Yaller a tid even mo-betta. New Sherco OXIA bars (best bend for my monkey arms), a set of S3 TRI-FIX grips with (I have repented thanks to the TRI-FIX grips) S3 bar-end plugs. Since the late `80s I have hated holing grips for bar-end plugs. Now with this superior tech in grips (really) that prejudice has been punted.
230802 Old Yaller at Oachado.jpg

And see that shiny new front fender? I bought one of the last few - or perhaps THE last - OE GasGas yellow front fender. Does Snell have more? Maybe. Maybe not. The original wasn't bad, but it was split where the fork brace runs through, as those were inclined to do.

One of the last to-dos is to bigger pegs. Funny to have an 17-year old rescue that feels better than some 2023 bikes.

1693948679554.png

Some Copy-pasta from that other site

BossLady:
OK, I have never seen this club so anxious to pre-register. Glad to see you are all excited!
Registration is OPEN: https://nmta.weebly.com/
As a reminder, please make sure to sign the Glorieta Release Form before you head out (link is provided when you sign up).
If you are attending as a spectator, you can sign the release form here:
https://waiver.campeagle.camp/0063r00001LwY8U/event/selection

NMTrailboss:
Glorieta Event Update:

All sections are now set and ready! Lots of clearing and work went in to these so we hope everyone has a good time.

Lowers: Both days are basically the same loop as last year (the 'Green' trail) and is close to 5 miles long...pretty long for morning riders so be prepared! Of course, Beginners can do each section three times each if they choose to do so as always. The sections look challenging but extremely fun!

Sat. Uppers: Saturday afternoon loop is LONG and EPIC! It will start by riding about 1.25 miles to a staging area (similar to what we have done when riding at Nerd Rocks at SY). We will have a truck going to the staging area that can haul spare fuel, drinks and snacks for the riders so there will be no need to come back to the pits between loops. Then the section loop itself is about 5.25 miles long back to the staging area each loop gaining over 1000 feet of elevation to the top of the ridge with great views at the top. All sections are on the uphill trail. The return trail is one of the most fun single tracks you will ever ride dropping about 600 feet in 1.5 miles back to the staging area! Smooth and flowing all the way! Make sure to put your spare fuel, drinks and snacks in the staging truck in the pits before heading to the rider's meeting.

Sun. Uppers: Sunday afternoon is a much shorter loop that stays mostly at the bottom of the canyon and should be fairly spectator friendly. Loop is approx. 2.5 miles long with one segment between #4 and #5 that is two-way traffic for about 0.4 miles each way. Will need to keep speeds down and be aware of oncoming traffic on both legs of this segment.

Just like last year, we must remember that all trails are multi-use and there will likely be other users on mountain bikes and hiking on the trails so we need to respect them, keep the speeds slow to moderate (slow if line of sight is not good) and pull over to let other users by when overtaking or passing. We have talked with many locals that live on site and bicyclists that are planning to come out and spectate so it should be pretty exciting for them!

Reminder: Pre-registration is open at https://nmta.weebly.com/ and all riders, family members and spectators must sign the Glorieta Release Form here before entering the property: https://waiver.campeagle.camp/0063r00001LwY8U/event/selection

Having my coffee before the driving out to Glorieta from the house. So Bosslady is still on the other place? What a shame.

I hope "long and epic" on Saturday doesn't wipe me out. Yesterday I was out in the heat dragging a 24-foot ladder to a massive canyon step so, theoretically, we can get to the next level up without having to go around. Bud's donated ladder fit, but who will be the first up? Here's the top 40% of the thing just sitting in place:
Buds Ladder.jpg

It needs bolting to the lip of the overhang at the top, being set in concrete at the bottom, and a top rope hung down because, falling means dying.

I got home and went to be early, tired out.

This morning I wake to a news report in a county where the Woking Dead Head has cancelled my constitutionally protected self protection rights in my county of residence. Publicly she stated the criminal element will ignore her edict. That means her edict was aimed at the law abiding. Digging around now for my red ball cap with MAKE ORWELL FICTION AGAIN on the front.

Last edited:
Glorieta event was awesome, even epic.

My rides were, at times, beautiful, but I managed my usual mistakes on Saturday from having some re-integration issues with my left- side rear brake right after doing 1,400 miles on the 701, which has no clutch lever and no foot brake lever.
A one second miss on the rear brake plunged me down to overshoot a turn to roll-over the perimeter tape for a 5 and roll too far in a rock slot, missing a left turn drop, for a struggle 3. Can't get away with that in such a competitive class! The two kerfuffles dropped me to 3rd place.

Sunday I was tired from the long event Saturday. I had two ridiculous stall 5s, knocking me all the way down to 6th. Sunday I was struggling to find my calm place and as a result was riding under agressive on the throttle enough to kill the motor, twice, leading to yet another deflation of ego. And that is precisely what is great about Trials!

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh