What's new

New Mexico Trials Association NMTA

Perfect! Baofeng radios are great for distance!
We'll need to manage incoming traffic on the mostly one-lane half mile of access road and of course during the events.
Clear, concise and well thought out.

Good job 👍
Appreciate you recognizing all the time I put in to SHORTEN this one post!

I just re read it and found some editing was required. Done.

Concise efficiency is inversely proportional to the time and critical thinking put in. More time put in = less bloat!

MotoBene, I'm confused, could you please explain the marking system for me in simpler terms? 🦆:p3rry

MotoBene, I'm confused, could you please explain the marking system for me in simpler terms? 🦆:p3rry
The flags are so TM's can claim thier intended sections on earlier work days. Single loop for 2 days upper/lower might get a little tight.

The TM can then come back another work day and replace the flags with NMTA marking system.

The flags are so TM's can claim thier intended sections on earlier work days. Single loop for 2 days upper/lower might get a little tight.

The TM can then come back another work day and replace the flags with NMTA marking system.
My sarcasm is so deep, that it you couldn't see it Nate.... I was just fooling around with Chris!

MotoBene, I'm confused, could you please explain the marking system for me in simpler terms? 🦆:p3rryMy sarcasm is so deep, that....
I like sarcasm!

Yes, it's simple. You buy boxes and boxes sandwich-size zip-lock bags, print thousands of cards, buy gobs of markers to write things on every (visibility to vary by the lose nuts behind the markers), insert the marked card into the bag with stuff written on it, bag's brand mark on the back, pour in sand or insert rocks between the back of the card and the bag, and haul around a staple gun and staples - just in case. Double for each gate and repeat hundreds of times per event. Set perimeter tape in glue on left, red on right because that's how it was done!

When the event is over, dump the sand and rocks out of each bag, haul everything back to throw it all away.
-Mr. Sar Casm :krusty

Just talked to my neighbor just below Oachado. He advised not trying to get up my access road this weekend. Too much snow. My next opportunity will be mid February.

The annual banquet was great!

The few of us who decided on a San Yo ride last night today all chickened out - me included - because it's maybe too wet out there.

So nice to live in a state where we have the luxury of better weather than like 95% of all the earth! When I lived in Michigan we'd ride in all sorts of extremes, like snow and ice, just to ride at all.
And when the snow melts keep moving in a mosquito-evasion dance.

Feb Bump!

1706548563867.png

2024 NMTA 2-day at Oachado in Mora County - Competition Days May 4 & 5
The first full-on 2-day of the 2024 season!
Whole Lotta This.JPG

Other NMTA events inside the preparation period are:
March 3 - San Y
April 7 - San Y
April 28 - San Y

I'm back from our too-long cruise. It was great except for getting 'just a cold' at the end of the trip that turned into my first tangle with Covid. I'm alive, but I'm gutted and my conditioning is shot!

Given some of my upcoming trips and obligations (including two more trips - one international), I plan to make my first trip of the year up to walk the loop already planned and start marking it.
I also have parking-area work using the backhoe, which I'm OK doing if the ground isn't snow-mushy. When will I go up? Hmm. Right now Thursday afternoon 22 Feb, or morning of 23 Feb, Friday would work. I'll only go if I clear the present - and last - stage of Covid.

I'm inviting all the volunteers off texting, which is inefficient and way irritating for groups, and onto the world's best and most efficient international communication system, What's App.

I'm happy to report that the whole support team for NMTA Oachado is now connected via a What'sApp group. Also the offer of Baofeng radios will help further with communications, especially with the in-and-out traffic to parking.

I was run ragged to a nub at my Les Falaises event trying to do too much in too little time. That was with a 1-day school and 1-day event. Now with a 2-day event, me as property host and aid to the TMs I hope will result in a high quality 2-day with the luxury to run things in a high state of tune. Be great to have the luxury of added fun activities for Saturday afternoon and evening as well?

A big help is I already have years of section area and trails work done. Of there this weekend to put the brain in more detailed loop trail(s) planning.

Now with a 2-day event, me as property host and aid to the TMs I hope will result in a high quality 2-day with the luxury to run things in a high state of tune.
Just wanted to state that even with all the work you had to put in in a very short time, the Les Falaises event WAS a high quality event! Looking forward to the new venue as well!! :thumb

Just wanted to state that even with all the work you had to put in in a very short time, the Les Falaises event WAS a high quality event! Looking forward to the new venue as well!! :thumb
LES FALAISES (LF)
I really appreciate your complement about the quality attained! Everyone is driven in their own weird way. My drive is being a kind of first-man with license to create in a garden of God, working WITH the land for people and critters.

I got really critical - make or break - help from you all at LF from a critical few club members (such as yourself) and made it possible to finish in time!

THANK YOU - ALL OF YOU!

We only used a minority portion of Les Falaises for the event. It was certainly area enough, but is another event, especially a 2-day, is held there in future that will be an excuse to expand the trail network outward.

OACHADO (OA)
...presents the problem of having SO MANY section areas that can't be directly seen due to the trees, one from another, so first making an accurate mental map of one side of one major ridge is no easy task. In walking the area repeatedly I'd get surprised, thinking one section area was up against another, only to discover there were actually two more awesome section areas in between as though they had just appeared there overnight. Bloop! A real head scratcher.

I'd love to have Glorieta-like mountain bike trails all over LF and OA, but that takes more than this one-man army... it 'takes a village' of the motivated and willing. Two years ago I contacted a motorcycle trails organization whose mission the website said was making great trail for motorcycles on private parcels to assure our culture's survival. After several attempts to contact then I gave up. Seems their vision is not matched by their deeds...:muutt

Hmm. Maybe I should engage the mountain bike folks??

Regarding Les Falaises, I truly hope we do have another event there in the near future and a two day would even be better. My only concern my on very short viewing and scouting of the area is that it seems it may be somewhat limited for Lowers content assuming they would have to remain on the bottom level so to speak (not being able to get the lowest classes up to the next ridge higher where the Upper sections were). I'm sure there is likely more content on around the ridge to the east from where the Lowers were last year but would be interested to see what else is available there. There is certainly a lot of untapped area for Uppers on the bench above the ground level to explore still!

LES FALAISES - NEXT EVENT(S)
Looking forward to more events for sure, 1-day or 2! Given the place is under 2 hours from ABQ one of the usual six annual San Yo 1-day events could take place at LF. Subtracting the first three San Yo events as too early for LF leaves three possible San Yo substitutes: late April, November, and December.

If there is only to be one event per year on my properties, I could see alternating between LF and OA each year for a 2-day. After the May 4 & 5 Oachado event I'll get a read from riders about which place they consider the better of the two.

CAPACITY FOR LOWERS
NMTrailboss, you commented, "My only concern my on very short viewing and scouting of the area is that it seems it may be somewhat limited for Lowers content assuming they would have to remain on the bottom level...."

Your viewing and scouting experience was limited... to around 10% of total property area and about 20% of the half of the property we all were on. To support last year's event, this one-man army put in many days over many months to carve the upper loop literally out of the wilderness. That took more time and effort than expected, which shorted me on Lower loop. I wanted a longer lower loop, but the promised support for higher quality loop evaporated and I was on my own. I pushed until I could push no more, and ended up running everyone back by dropping into the sandy arroyo rather than crossing the arroyo to continue at the base of the bluff on the other side of the canyon bottom.

For a next event the length of the lower-area loop can be quadrupled without leaving the half of the property used last year. If the Uppers use also the lower-area loop, and the upper-area loop is also extended, we could have up to four miles of loop trail for the Uppers to use, and about a mile of loop for the Lowers to use, with more than enough section areas. There are a lot of great Upper section areas in the lower-area. Last year I did not drop the Uppers down there because at the time there was a need to simplify things.

WHEN?
We could risk any time, as the weather is just not predictable more than a week or two out. We got lucky with the school and 1-day event last year at LF the first weekend in April. It was snowing on and off until just before the event. Friday through mid Sunday was mostly calm and nice. The wind started back on event day and was insane by late afternoon 👹

Because LF looks 'desert' one could assume it's really hot in high summer. Not really. It's 1,500 feet higher than San Yo and not shaped like a frying pan. It's 3,100 feet higher than Roswell Haystack for a big peak temperature difference!
My first trip to LF area it was over 100 degrees leaving ABQ, but it was tolerable all afternoon at LF. By 5:00 it was yummy nice.

LF Very Hot Days.jpg

Cool to cold predominates the year at LF. We've camped there in December and January when it was below zero at sunrise. Then with sun it can be nice by 10am and perfect for being active hiking, riding, or working. For long-scheduled events it's wise to avoid January through mid April. Otherwise, nice or not so nice will depend on a mix of factors. I found no 'windy days' graphic, but here are some apricot time periods to avoid depending on conditions.
LF Extremely Cold Days.jpg
LF Freezing Days.jpg
LF Snow on Ground Days.jpg

There are two seasons when the soil gets soaked and gumbo could be a problem: Spring after and during snow melt, which is the worst for mucky soils, and the monsoon, which peaks in later summer.
LF Rainy Days.jpg

By avoiding scheduling events in spring the worst periods are avoided. Before improving and surfacing with milled asphalt (now it's good for all but super deep snow), the road to the camping area during snow melt-offs could get really slimy in the low areas.

I have found foot and wheel traction to be great on wet rocks and in the wet-sandy bottom areas. As for heavy downpours in the monsoon, the loose soils have more sand than clay, but I don't know if some areas will go gumbo.

Last edited:
Bob and Bill did a fine job with the NMTA March 3 trial at San Ysidro. Bill really took the lead to memorialize the event for Bud Cole, who is not long for this earth, what with signed cards and trophies in Bud's name. David, Paul, and Kyle, Cole-family relations, attended the Uppers rider meeting with presentation of memorial plaque and signed cards to take back to Bud.

The sections for both events were very well designed and all had a very good time. I chose not to experience competing as it was still too early after my first experience with Covid, which has messed with my lungs :-0 I walked around with Bruce and his broken ribs, and helped with the scorecards. Had fun socializing.

Looking forward to riding the April event.

Looking back 10 days after the last posting just above, riding the March event? No way! Went to a doc for meds and a sharper turn for the better... but not not back normal. Then I remind myself it's been less than a month.

A fine stress test coming up with a long planned 3 days of off road riding in a jungle out of country with fellow trials riders:kumbaya

I bailed on going up to my places to 'marking the loop' and maybe having one TM move his RV up and work on section area selection along the loop. Weather was the reason.
The wind's been very strong and it looks like More has a winter storm warning target on it and warnings that "travel could be VERY difficult." We're in the upper right pink.
240315 Winter Storm.jpg

14" and counting at Oachado!

Top Bottom Back Refresh