What's new

Preferred engine configuration.

A friend has an old BSA. Some big thumper from the '40's. First time I saw it run was on its centerstand on a concrete floor. You had to keep an eye on it, because it would vibrate across the floor and ram itself in to whatever else was in the room if left alone đŸ˜‚

You could say the same about my 2006 640, I stopped to take a leak and left it running and found the damn thing 30 yards away on the other side of the road.

I mean, call it character or whatever. But stuff like that makes me smile when I think about it. I really love the smoothness of my current bike, but engines don't need to be completely sterilized of all "bad" things. As long as body parts aren't falling asleep it's all good.

That’s a tough one. My immediate answer is Twin but having owned 4 gear driven VFRs, there’s something special to me about those V4s.

That’s a tough one. My immediate answer is Twin but having owned 4 gear driven VFRs, there’s something special to me about those V4s.
I have ridden a few VFRs and owned a Yamaha Venture with a V-4. V-4's do have a lot of character and I mean that in a good way.

I have never owned a V4 in a bike but i did once ride a yamaha V max, and i must admit loved the engine. had a few v4s in cars and vans back in the day ford and saab and again i loved the engines.
thing i have noticed in the uk at least the VFRs do not seem to comand much money compared to similar inline fours.

What about the Configuration orientation of singles like the airmachi/ (Harley davidson) Horizontal and ditto the motobi sport and sport specials. And IIRC wasnt the moto guzi Falcone they were laid down Right? .
The L Twin or laid back V in the ducatis etc too, This orientation will surely altwer the vibes and too the lower C OF G too.
Any knowledge experience from Airmachi stelwarts on the merits of them, i have long wanted an airmachi but only ever riden one conce and i loved it..

Late to this party. Never had money or time early days. I was 30+ when I bought a ‘69CT90. Then XT500, first k100rs in TN ‘84, ‘98 748, ‘06 ST3s, ‘09 klr650, xt 250, ‘10 s1000rr, Motus #28 ‘15, ‘16s1000xr. Hired bunches gens R bikes air and oil, xt600, tiger, vfr800, bmw f, st4s,…

Loved every one but the hands down best two up day ever was an Isla Mujeres 50cc rental.

I've had v-twins, parallel twins, inline 4, thumpers, and boxer twin. Boxer twin is my favorite. Havent had a triple yet, but i heard they are sweet.

What about Twin engines or self build V twins ..boxers ETC. there are many v twin builds on youtube and not common these days but back in the day drag and sprinters had twin engines like inline in the frame. as anyone made an engine or modified an existing engine to different configuration or used part of an existing engine to base their creation on. ?
Anyone built Know of any builds or are interested in this aspect of bike engines. ?
Realize its not a strictly configuration question but it saves starting a new thread on a similar subject.

What about Twin engines or self build V twins ..boxers ETC. there are many v twin builds on youtube and not common these days but back in the day drag and sprinters had twin engines like inline in the frame. as anyone made an engine or modified an existing engine to different configuration or used part of an existing engine to base their creation on. ?
Anyone built Know of any builds or are interested in this aspect of bike engines. ?
Realize its not a strictly configuration question but it saves starting a new thread on a similar subject.
Cars and cameras built 3 engine mini bike.

Wouldn't stand a chance in the street scene...those bikes are very fast with usaully money on the line.

I have owned a lot of bikes over 50+ years of riding. 1,2,3,4 cylinders, inline, V and L. My favorite engine "and bike" was the 2009 Buell Ulysses.
Air/oil cooled rubber mounted V twin. Once you got past the shaking at idle the bike was smooth and pulled well. 102 HP and relatively light weight made it just right for my riding style.
It also handled quite well. I have tried to replace it but the few out there have not been cared for well.

Top Bottom Back Refresh