What's new

R1 discontinued

Shinyribs

Is my bike ok?
Member Number

No more R1's . Yamaha might keep selling them in North America for a while, but no more developments to be made.

The idea is nobody wants to buy them.

No, I'd LOVE to own a CP4. I just don't want the bushels of electronics and the iPhone dash that drives the price up to $20k.

Keep the R1, just make it a machine again and leave the PlayStation off of it?

No more R1's . Yamaha might keep selling them in North America for a while, but no more developments to be made.

The idea is nobody wants to buy them.

No, I'd LOVE to own a CP4. I just don't want the bushels of electronics and the iPhone dash that drives the price up to $20k.

Keep the R1, just make it a machine again and leave the PlayStation off of it?
Yes sad news but from my point of view it might be there is a slight slump in prices before the hoarding kicks off in full swing, nothing like a discontinued model for getting a flood of used examples on the market as must have buyers go for the next latest and greatest.
A cross plane R1 fighter is my dream build and most probably my last,but a Trick zx7R fighter or even a 600 bandit or FZ600 Daily runner fighter , With a R1 CP4 fighter would be it for me my Lifes obsession kind of fulfilled, i dont regret the zx7rs they work, but i do regret not stumping up and buying an R1 a decade and a half ago. Old age sneaked up on me and i some how was not looking, a stroke sort of focuses the concentration on such matters, no matter vhow good you can ride or how healthy you think you are. Being hit by a stroke and the day they launch you out of hospital, and you crawl up those stairs to bed using just your left arm and your chin to help drag your barely functioning right side up there. Its Enlightening with the only allternative being death. Ill Take what i got over death any time. My advice out of all this for what its worth. "Just do it", The freght train of life waits for no one not even you. .

Yamaha is getting less interesting by the year. Just look at their dualsport models. The R1 package needs the v strom treatment. Who ever thought the TL1000 would morph into such a great bike. Suzuki just released their new 4 cylinder bike. I almost bought a new gsxs 1000 with the idea of swapping tires to ride most places. I got a strom instead.

Ya I know the tracer exists....

I do not know about yamaha getting less interesting as time goes on just evolving as they feel their buyer base is Changing. The sports bike thing though still there is not as prolific IMO. YOMV. I think the MT/ Mu is it etc is necessary dictated by their market research.
The R6 is still there for now and despite its diminutive capacity is a awesome bit of kit it must be said.
Never ridden one but like the idea of the XSR900 and guess the smaler 700 too. I think all yamaha are short of is a poweful torquey 500/ 600 class light agile single cylinder dirty bike. sort of reborn rekindled only way better faster lighter powerfuler XT600/ Xt660Z type deal a KTM in that class slayer. That should be more than acchievable from yamaha. think a re born retro XS650 could have a place too. a bonavile contender priced cheap to compete with the enfield interceptor etc. another thing i believe could sell but obviously not privy to their research is possibly a smaller 400cc 450cc triple screamer retroesque looking classic trident killer. The soundtrack alone would guarantee sales i firmly believe.

Yamaha is getting less interesting by the year. Just look at their dualsport models. The R1 package needs the v strom treatment. Who ever thought the TL1000 would morph into such a great bike. Suzuki just released their new 4 cylinder bike. I almost bought a new gsxs 1000 with the idea of swapping tires to ride most places. I got a strom instead.

Ya I know the tracer exists....
How could you say Yamaha is boring when the Nikken exists ?! 😁

The FZ/MT 07 and 09's have been carrying the brand, basically. I'm cool with that because I cant do cruisers and don't want a super sport. Yamaha built the wicked MT01, saw it was a good concept but too heavy and clumsy and developed the idea further. I'm a big fan of light, torquey UJM's on 17's.

I would love a naked TL1000 on 17's. Taking the TL from super sport straight to Vstrom without giving us a big liter twin upright on 17's seems like a missed opportunity to me. Same as how we have the Africa Twin and the Rebel 1100, but no naked bike on 17's with that engine. I'd buy either of those bikes. Suzuki gave us comfy SV650's for decades but for some reason didn't pump out 1,000cc versions of that platform while having the engine just sitting right there.

At least Yamaha is still carrying the torch with two stroke woods bikes. While it's just a slightly woodsy version of a YZ250, at least it's something. The only other people giving us woods smokers is KTM and China.

Got a coworker who has a Ninja. He's a decent rider. His friends, however, are a different story. I broke off from that crowd within the first 2 miles.
A buddy had a Ninja 1000, somewhere around a 2014 model probably. Surprisingly comfy to ride all day and the engine was so strong. Roll on 60mph wheelies were effortless while being nearly silent on that thing. Twisting the throttle on that thing and not hearing a huge blast of noise felt surreal. Fantastic machines. Scary to think of a noob straddling one and giving her the beans

How could you say Yamaha is boring when the Nikken exists ?! 😁

The FZ/MT 07 and 09's have been carrying the brand, basically. I'm cool with that because I cant do cruisers and don't want a super sport. Yamaha built the wicked MT01, saw it was a good concept but too heavy and clumsy and developed the idea further. I'm a big fan of light, torquey UJM's on 17's.

I would love a naked TL1000 on 17's. Taking the TL from super sport straight to Vstrom without giving us a big liter twin upright on 17's seems like a missed opportunity to me. Same as how we have the Africa Twin and the Rebel 1100, but no naked bike on 17's with that engine. I'd buy either of those bikes. Suzuki gave us comfy SV650's for decades but for some reason didn't pump out 1,000cc versions of that platform while having the engine just sitting right there.

At least Yamaha is still carrying the torch with two stroke woods bikes. While it's just a slightly woodsy version of a YZ250, at least it's something. The only other people giving us woods smokers is KTM and China.
Yamaha is still one of my favorite companies. And I like the legacy models. I remember the route 66 when I was a teenager. The same bike is still available. And if I could have found a 125 or 250x at a reasonable otd I would have never got a tse250r. The inline twins really don't really get me excited. I would get a 300x for the revs and weight.

Honda was maybe going to make a night hawk 1100. The prototype pics were nice. I do not get the lack of ujm or why I now think stroms have become ujms. I really like the gsxs models. And the new x model is close to the 4 cylinder adv bike I want. But the foot pegs need lowered. And the msrp is kinda high

The gen1 DL1000 don't have much value and the prices are great. Cheap enough for modding. I have almost thin strom built mine. I have a contact for a custom aluminum gas tank to mount nc700x style where the subframe bolts. This would make all the difference for weight distribution and air filter access. I would think weight savings and simple mods would make for a greater off road ride. Add a 17 up front for giant sumo style bike.The darn bike works so well stock though. The engine is gem over 4k rpm. And the early models have crazy gearing. 6th is for 70mph and above. At 80mph it is gold! Quirky fugly bike that really works great. With great looks that grow on you. Ya not sure why no sv1000. I almost bought one in 2005. Got my 1st drzsm instead.

A buddy had a Ninja 1000, somewhere around a 2014 model probably. Surprisingly comfy to ride all day and the engine was so strong. Roll on 60mph wheelies were effortless while being nearly silent on that thing. Twisting the throttle on that thing and not hearing a huge blast of noise felt surreal. Fantastic machines. Scary to think of a noob straddling one and giving her the beans
With Gixxer Brah's recent legal issues, maybe a Ninja Brah might come out of hiding.

I still wish Yamaha had made a WR450R, instead of holding that great thumper tech at the 250. Yes, sure, a T7 is fun, but it’s not a thumper.

It's funny they plated WR450's in some countries and not others. Emissions regs , I reckon.

A buddy sumo'd a WR450. After sumo'ing my XR400 and owning a KLR 650 I didn't have much excitement in his project while it was happening, but riding it after he was done was eye-opening. It was so smooth and the 5 speed gearbox is so wide that cruised highway speeds easily and comfortably in stock trim.

If you ever get a chance to buy a plated WR450 you won't be disappointed. I swore off street thumpers, but the WR450 impressed me so much that I went out and bought my own.

Interesting. Thanks for that. Maybe it's got more to do with emissions than sales.

Or the buyer. The tw is on a 40 year run. Xr650l, drz, dr650, xt250 all can only change minor details such as graphics with out submitting a new design to the epa. These dinosaurs are grandfathered in. The redesign comes at a cost. Harley skated this forever!. But you want tft and maps or 40yr old carb legacy. I think I kinda of pointed to this in another thread. Plus it's lost technology. The gurus retire and certain profits pay for benefits. I find it fascinating as a subject, but if I had unlimited means or a wild hair an r1 knobby bike might exist. Because it should.

It's funny they plated WR450's in some countries and not others. Emissions regs , I reckon.

A buddy sumo'd a WR450. After sumo'ing my XR400 and owning a KLR 650 I didn't have much excitement in his project while it was happening, but riding it after he was done was eye-opening. It was so smooth and the 5 speed gearbox is so wide that cruised highway speeds easily and comfortably in stock trim.

If you ever get a chance to buy a plated WR450 you won't be disappointed. I swore off street thumpers, but the WR450 impressed me so much that I went out and bought my own.
But did it have five valves? No, it wasn’t a WR450R.

But did it have five valves? No, it wasn’t a WR450R.
Five titanium valves, actually!

IMG_20220123_190507503.jpg

All the WR450 engines have been five valve motors. True, it's not called an R.

The WR250R was a street specific engine developed for "dual sport" use. The 450 just is what it is. But after lots of seat time on both, the 450 is considerably lighter and way less stressed on the open road vs the 250R. I'm 6'3" and found the 250R excessively top heavy and very tall. It's the first and only time I've ever thought twice about seat height. It's an issue. The WR450 is much more approachable and easy to handle. It feels like riding a wasp.

The 250R struggled to carry my 220lbs around the mountains here. I was often, literally, holding the throttle wide open, down shifting and still holding up traffic. I'm not comfortable leaning on an engine that hard and expecting it to last, and I just find it stressful listening to an engine scream like that all day. Whereas you'll rarely go past 1/4 throttle on the 450. Sumo guys been wringing WR450 necks for twenty years now and they just hold up.

My sportbike days are in my past so I'm not a potential customer for the R1 anyway. I did ride a Ninja 1000 in 2022 and really liked it but I just don't need a bike that big and fast. The Ninja 1000 is not a hard core sportbike like the R1 is. If I were to buy another sportbike I'd be looking at something like a Ninja 400 or ZX4R.

As for Yamaha, I have owned more Yamahas than any other brand but at this point there are very few bikes in their lineup here in the USA that interest me. I do have one Yamaha in my garage but a buyer will be taking it off my hands in the next few days. That my quite possibly be my last Yamaha.

Top Bottom Back Refresh