What's new

Rant About Your Day Here!

1714742390465.png

:hide
I have to say, the vast majority of thread repairs I get to do are the result of torque wrenches, or people following a misprinted torque spec.

They'll just hang on that dance torque wrench waiting for that magic click with their brain turned completely off. "I used a torque wrench" has turned in a force field. If you say that online it means nobody can judge you for yanking on a bolt too much. It absolves all sins.

It's funny to me that the really smart guy that used the torque wrench to put his stator cover bolts on (...why?) is the same guy that judges me for not using one,....while also being uncomfortable to perform a thread repair and has to bring it to me. 🤔

People are so spoiled to not needing to think and that torque wrenches are like an app for the hand.

"Don't overnight it"

How do I know when to stop?

"Common sense"

....do they have an app that does it for me?

"No, it's your hands"

Oh, torque wrench will think for me!

"No"

My bolt stripped

"Yes"

And they never learn to do anything because they feel every fastener through a 2' long torque wrench with the grip of a baseball bat.

"But Coolguy Johnny the YouTuber made a review video and said my wrench was the best! And I know he's right because his followers agree with me 🤓"

Sorry. Torque wrenches are a pet peeve

I have to say, the vast majority of thread repairs I get to do are the result of torque wrenches, or people following a misprinted torque spec.
wish i could like this post 5 times... so right. some folks go crazy over torque specs. makes sense for stressed bolts and critical dimensions- but torque specs for a license plate braxket fastener? please...

Hahaha ha ho previous owner had a golden 1/4" ratchet and used salt as thread locker....no elbow click needed

wish i could like this post 5 times... so right. some folks go crazy over torque specs. makes sense for stressed bolts and critical dimensions- but torque specs for a license plate braxket fastener? please...
This is why I got a machine tool degree when I was 18. Cut my own gears and the whole mess....now I just laugh about it. If you can not cut your own gears.....you ain't wrenching. If you break stuck fasteners with out heat or a shock load...well the rest is history...

I don't torque down stuff like bleeder valves, plate screws/bolts/twist-ons/or others shit that can be hand tightened. I don't get it when somebody thinks over tightening and coupling it with Loctite on shit that'll need to periodically taken out is the way to go, screwing over the next person who then will have to deal with their sorry ass mechanikerring. This is the kind of shit my dad would do.

Hahaha ha ho previous owner had a golden 1/4" ratchet and used salt as thread locker....no elbow click needed
Salt 😂
Modern dealers just give a kid an impact gun for very expensive pdi. Shit is so sad it is hilarious.....
Don't get me started on those 1/4 impact drivers. I already showed my ass ranting about torque wrenches 😅

I do actually like a 1/4" impact driver at low torque settings for some jobs, pretty good for driving deckscrews too. If the job needs turning torque up to "kill" instead of "stun", then its time for bigger stuff.

I do actually like a 1/4" impact driver at low torque settings for some jobs, pretty good for driving deckscrews too. If the job needs turning torque up to "kill" instead of "stun", then its time for bigger stuff.
They're a godsend for deck screws. I didn't know how we lived before them !

They're a godsend for deck screws. I didn't know how we lived before them !

omg yes. For funsies I picked up hex and socket drivers for my old brace-and-bit's- which are actually amazing for driving deckscrews and even sockets. They apply amazing levels of torque, but not much rpm to the fastener. But after driving a dozen or so 4" deckscrews with it, one begins to really appreciate the battery powered tools :D

I used an assortment of 4", 3" and 2.5" deck screws on my recent 360 sq ft plus deck addition. Couldn't have done it without the Ryobi. I can't imagine ever going back to hammering nails.

The only downside is if I need to replace a board, no mere crowbar is going to pull those screws out.

~~~~

Nasty crash on the highway here. Little Subaru wagon pulled out in front of a UPS road tractor. Flat, straight piece of road. No reason not to see the truck coming.

Wagon looks like a beer can someone stomped. Truck and trailer are are laying on the driver's side. Cab of the tractor is folded up under the trailer and it's apparently it ground down the road in that position for quite a ways. There's not much left of the drivers corner of the cab. Pretty sure the steering wheel laying up the road a ways is way too big to have come from the Subaru.

I hope to hell the driver of that truck wasn't trapped in a seat belt and got forced to slide down the road while securely fastened in place.

^ :( There are so many morons on the roads these days it is scary .... It is all about the me, myself and I attitudes IMHO...:devildog

Maybe the Subaru driver had their face stuck in their phone. Maybe they were a zombie just trying to drag ass to work to survive another day. No idea what happened, but it's a tragedy from any angle.

Damn. I hope everyone is ok but it’s not sounding good.

Did you see it? Hopefully not.

Damn. I hope everyone is ok but it’s not sounding good.

Did you see it? Hopefully not.
Drove by it. Saw the state of the truck and made it a point not to look. Life saving crew was there but they looked very not busy sitting on the guard rail. Don't want to be gross and Google it, but kinda wanting to look it up and hope for a miracle.

Top Bottom Back Refresh