What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

klaviator

Scooter Trash
Member Number
I thought I'd start a ride report to post all of my rides instead of starting new threads for each ride.

Why the thread title?

IMG_20230509_190333273_HDR-X2 (3)-XL.jpg

Huntsville, Alabama is full of engineers and rocket scientists. It is the place where the rockets that took us to space and the moon were developed. It is one of the most high tech cities in the world. It is home to numerous defense and space companies. It also just happens to be a great place to live if you like to ride.

I have lived in 10 states on all four coasts. Overall this is the best place I have lived. I may not be a rocket scientist but I live to ride:ricky:ricky:ricky

This is my current fleet of bikes:

P7110006 (2)-X3.jpg

Last edited:
So far this year the weather we have had some pretty crappy riding weather and I'm not quite as hard core as DJ_MI for getting out and riding when the weather is bad. I actually went over a week without riding. That almost never happens. I finally got out a few days ago when the roads became mostly clear of ice and the temperature rode to a balmy 36 degrees. I rode over to my mom's house to help her with something and took a pic in her driveway.

IMG_20240121_141938444_HDR.jpg

Shaded places tended to still be a sheet of ice. The ice is now gone and it's much warmer now but all that has been replaced with rain.

Here's some pics I took early in the month along the Tennessee River.

P1110003b.JPG

P1110009b.JPG

P1110016b.JPG

Huntsville, Alabama is full of engineers and rocket scientists. It is the place where the rockets that took us to space and the moon were developed. It is one of the most high tech cities in the world. It is home to numerous defense and space companies.
I've been to Huntsville one time in my life. In 1967, my brothers and I raced the Grand Nationals in our quarter midgets. I was eight years-old. I still have this trophy that I won there.

6aELTTo.jpg

I vaguely remember touring the space center. I can't remember much about it other than I enjoyed it very much.

After a couple of weeks of either bitter cold, ice or monsoons the weather broke today. The forecast was cloudy and low 60s. I friend sent me a message asking if I wanted to ride this afternoon. He didn't have to twist my arm. I headed up into Tennessee. It was a little gloomy and the roads still wet but it was warm as forecast.

P1260002b.JPG

This is where we picked to meet.

P1260004.JPG

Of course we had to get some ice cream!

A young guy stopped by and said hi.

P1260005.JPG

Then we headed out and rode a while.

P1260008b.JPG

The weather was looking much better.

P1260009b.JPG

I did some rocket science stuff down there a number of years ago, Huntsville had the sleaziest strip clubs of any of the aerospace cities I've visted :rofl and the taxi drivers are used to driving full speed through the standing water from the torrential rains wrapped around the tornadoes. That was a fun trip.

The weather here is really improving. The Ice and rain are gone and it got into the 40s so I got out on a couple of rides.

IMG_20240129_104504426-X2.jpg

I have put over 300 miles on my scooter this month just doing short rides around town.
Those clouds are beautiful!

What's the range with the extra fuel? :D

Those clouds are beautiful!

What's the range with the extra fuel? :D
Since many of my bikes have small tanks I often just top them off at home so every so often I go fill up the gas can. I normally only put around 4 gallons in the can. At 80 MPG that would take me an extra 320 miles.

As for the clouds. I was out playing scooter tag and was looking for a new Tag. I had stopped to take a pic of a house as a possible tag and then noticed the nice sky and clouds over the lake and took the pic I posted above. Here's the house I took a pic of.

IMG_20240129_104454733-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Since many of my bikes have small tanks I often just top them off at home so every so often I go fill up the gas can. I normally only put around 4 gallons in the can. At 80 MPG that would take me an extra 320 miles.

As for the clouds. I was out playing scooter tag and was looking for a new Tag. I had stopped to take a pic of a house as a possible tag and then noticed the nice sky and clouds over the lake and took the pic I posted above. Here's the house I took a pic of.

IMG_20240129_104454733-X2.jpg
That’s awesome. :lol2 I do the same thing with gas except I take them in the truck to fill them. I never leave home without a full tank.

Huntsville, Alabama is full of engineers and rocket scientists. It is the place where the rockets that took us to space and the moon were developed. It is one of the most high tech cities in the world. It is home to numerous defense and space companies. It also just happens to be a great place to live if you like to ride.

I have lived in 10 states on all four coasts. Overall this is the best place I have lived. I may not be a rocket scientist but I live to ride:ricky:ricky:ricky

This is my current fleet of bikes:

P7110006 (2)-X3.jpg
Nice fleet of scooters!

A few months before JJ's tank gunnery shoot, he went to Huntsville and did a Space Camp thing. I wasn't able to attend but heard he should have been the curator for the entire facility.

Nice fleet of scooters!

A few months before JJ's tank gunnery shoot, he went to Huntsville and did a Space Camp thing. I wasn't able to attend but heard he should have been the curator for the entire facility.
I just happened to take a pic of space camp a few weeks ago. I guess this fits into the Rocket Science part of my ride report!

IMG_20240110_130232583_HDR.jpg

Before JJ passed away, I spoke to him a few days prior. He was very lucid and spoke about time travel, space travel, terminators, and feeling at peace for what was to come in the coming days. It saddened me but I had to accept he was at the end of the road.

Engineering was his career fallback since his eyesight wasn't up to snuff for a military career in aviation. He had talked in the past about wanting to become an astronaut. Astronomy was one of his secondary passions. It was through him I developed a love of building custom gaming rigs and designing/building other types of electronic devices from scratch. If college had worked out for me, I, too, would have gone into engineering. Problem is I was self-funded for whatever reason and could never qualify for financial aid. I think he and I would have started our own firm and maybe propose a partnership with SpaceX on some projects, if Elon would have been willing to lend an ear to a couple of nobodies such as ourselves. :) HDR is who JJ worked for. He loved working for them. His final contribution to electrical engineering was his design on the solar array at one of the Los Angeles area VA hospitals.

It got to nearly 70 degrees here today so naturally I was out riding.

I went by the Polaris Plant which has a display of some of their products out front.

P2020001.JPG

Just down the road is a huge Toyota/Mazda plant that was built in the last few years.

P2020002.JPG

Even newer than the Polaris or Toyota plant is this Gas station with a mere 120 pumps.

P2020008.JPG

I filled my giant gas tank.

P2020003.JPG

Gas was a bit cheaper here than other stations in the area which can be a big deal when you have a tank as big as mine :D

P2020005.JPG

It was around 1:30 on a Friday afternoon but this place was still super busy.

Top Bottom Back Refresh