What's new

+ Week Rocket Science and other Riding Tales

Did you get some Beaver Nuggets
Or the Bohemian Garlic jerky

Both?
I got some gas, used the restroom, walked through the store and left. I took a few pics inside

IMG_20240202_134125105_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240202_134102948_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240202_134249939_HDR.jpg

In case anyone is looking for a job.

IMG_20240202_134531333_HDR.jpg

What do you get when the forecast is 60+ degrees and sunny in the middle of the winter and you post up a ride?

Well I don't know what you would get but I got 15 riders to show up.

P2030001.JPG

P2030002.JPG

P2030003.JPG

Not all of the riders had showed up yet when I took these pics. Most of these where riders I had ridden with many times before but we had a few newcomers as well.

Several of the riders had ridden from a pretty fair distance to get here but I have to give the hard core award to the guy on the CT 125 who rode around 100 miles to get to the start of the ride.

We had mix of bikes but that wasn't a problem. Fast guys up front and slower riders in the back so everyone could ride at a pace comfortable for them and we re grouped at turns.

Having fun on some curvy roads.

P2030023.JPG

P2030025.JPG

P2030031.JPG

The two smallest bikes in the group.

P2030034.JPG

We stopped for gas and the sole "harley" in the group wouldn't start. It was completely dead.

Time for trouble shooting.

P2030048.JPG

He had just installed a new lithium battery. It turned out one of the battery cables was loose so he fixed it and we were on our way towards the lunch stop.

P2030050.JPG

Lunch was at this hole in the wall place in the middle of nowhere.

P2030052.JPG

A couple of people ordered the steaks which were ginormous.

P2030054.JPG

Great food and service. We'll be stopping here again in the future.

P2030055.JPG

The place has a lot of character. I should have taken more pics but only got this one, slightly blurry one.

P2030056.JPG

The owner of the place wanted to get a pic of the group for his FB page so we lined up our bikes in front.

P2030058.JPG

He did take that pic but I haven't seen it of FB yet.

P2030059.JPG

We lost one riders before lunch and a few more headed home after lunch but the rest of us continued on.

P2030061b.JPG

The little trail 125 had issues going up one steep, loose and rutted hill.

P2030062.JPG

Other than that one hill we were all surprised at how well the bike did. I'll chalk it up to a good rider who kept the throttle pinned most of the ride!

A little while later I was riding along and some horses in the field beside me started galloping alongside me. It was a really cool sight and I managed to get my camera turned on and snapped a couple of pics to the side.

P2030064b.JPG

Shots like this can't be planned.

A few more pics.

P2030066.JPG

P2030067.JPG

We got back to the Shell station in Ardmore where we met in the morning and hung out a bit before heading for home.

P2030072.JPG

I was a little concerned at the start of the ride because of the size of the group, the big variety of bikes and because we hadn't ridden with several of the riders before. It turned out that none of these thing were an issue and we had a great ride.

This was a great start for the year!!

Hope you had your Klaviator shades on for the ride!

Looks like I need to move to Alabama. I have looked at home prices and rental prices around the Huntsville, Decatur, and Muscle Shoals areas. Problem is finding gainful employment that pays enough to live and put money away. I've been in the Decatur area a few times in the past. I liked what I saw. The people were pleasant and not in a passive-aggressive faux nice manner like the folks in Tejas.

Hope you had your Klaviator shades on for the ride!

Looks like I need to move to Alabama. I have looked at home prices and rental prices around the Huntsville, Decatur, and Muscle Shoals areas. Problem is finding gainful employment that pays enough to live and put money away. I've been in the Decatur area a few times in the past. I liked what I saw. The people were pleasant and not in a passive-aggressive faux nice manner like the folks in Tejas.
The job market in this area is very good. This area is growing like crazy because there are so many new jobs and the cost of living here is still relatively low even of housing prices have gone up quite a bit.

You are right about people around here being super friendly. I have lived in 10 different states and on all four coasts and over all this is the best place I have lived.

The job market in this area is very good. This area is growing like crazy because there are so many new jobs and the cost of living here is still relatively low even of housing prices have gone up quite a bit.

You are right about people around here being super friendly. I have lived in 10 different states and on all four coasts and over all this is the best place I have lived.
College and I didn't quite work out as planned due to financial issues. A white collar job won't be doable without a degree of some sort, unfortunately. How's the blue collar market for something in the commercial driving field? Something home daily and not slaving away for 14 to 16hrs per shift all week long.

College and I didn't quite work out as planned due to financial issues. A white collar job won't be doable without a degree of some sort, unfortunately. How's the blue collar market for something in the commercial driving field? Something home daily and not slaving away for 14 to 16hrs per shift all week long.
I have heard there is a shortage of drivers in the area. I know someone who was a dispatcher for a mining company who said they were very short of truck drivers but that was a couple of years ago. i don't know how thing are now. This area is growing like crazy and there are help wanted signs everywhere.

What's the name of the mining company? I'm also down to do CDL Instructor jobs. I doubt regular ol' defensive driving companies down there will pay enough to make end's meet.

What's the name of the mining company? I'm also down to do CDL Instructor jobs. I doubt regular ol' defensive driving companies down there will pay enough to make end's meet.
A few years ago a friend who owns a tree service company told me he couldn't find anyone with a CDL to drive his crane truck so he had to do it himself. He offered his employees to pay for their CDL but none were interested. There was also a shortage of local delivery drivers. One was the company I bought a new fridge from and I forget what the other was. There are also a lot of trucks around supporting all the new construction around here. When I moved to Huntsville 11 years ago it was the third largest city in Alabama. Now its the largest.

A lot of CDL jobs don't pay very well and/or the companies want their drivers to have no life and become a slave to their employer. I can't get down with that. Since my back and knees are rather shot, doing intensive delivery jobs is also a no-go. A company's insurance provider will drop me once the injury claims start racking up. Chemical tanker jobs are also a no-go since I've developed a nasty sensitivity to chemical fumes- hazardous or not.

In terms of politics. I don't care what they are since I'm a NAV and find the overall topic of either side way too vitriolic these days. I always tell my relatives who live elsewhere when they ask how I deal with PA. I tell them if they can ignore the politics of this state, they'll be in for a treat since there is a whole lot of historical value here. I live in Revolutionary War territory. A simple drive/ride 40 miles west becomes Civil War territory. I personally dig the fact our Founding Fathers roamed in my general area on horseback and maybe on foot. A popular inn is where they would get together and go over things before, during, and after the Revolutionary War. It's also a spot where Jackie Onassis visited a time or two in the past. The Ship Inn is no longer that name. It's some brewery called VK Brewing Co. & Eatery. It's a veteran owned business located in Exton, PA. I live 10mins from it.

I suppose I could also offer private driving lessons. There is all kinds of risk associated with it but I can probably make a killing in an affluent area. PA has too many restrictions on the curriculum and requires a license through the Dept of Education within the state. Having seen their curriculum, it's no wonder why so many drivers here drive like they're scared shitless or are clueless since the instructors don't have the level of driver training and driving experience I do.

Last edited:
The south is booming on a hit miss kinda thing Soggy. The weather and riding time should be a priority. But don't get caught in hanging on the the front porch with some iced tea..sucks up time but is enjoyable

Top Bottom Back Refresh