What's new

Shooting & Editing Riding Videos

DJ_MI

Class Clown
Member Number
Lets talk about all things moto video!

I recently started recording my rides and learning how to edit and post them.

Hardware: I started with a GoPro 6 Silver and then upgraded to a 9. I went with the 9 since it is fairly similarly spec’s to the 12 but is on sale. I also have a Insta 360X2 but haven’t used it while riding yet.

Software: I downloaded the open source editor Shotcut. I’ve found it to be challenging but I’m learning.

I initially mounted the camera on the headlight surround. It’s way too bouncy. I’ve been running with it on my helmet and that’s been better but the weight and wind drag is noticeable.

I’ve been fiddling with the “Protune” settings in the GoPro and haven’t found the sweet spot for making it look good without inducing motion sickness while watching the video.

I have a lot to learn that’s for sure but that’s what makes it fun! :thumb

EDIT TO ADD INFO:

Here's a link to the software I'm using. It's free.

Here's my current mounts. A tip I read online that worked really good is to use a lighter to heat, almost melt, the adhesive before applying the mounts.
2023-10-06 20.03.51.jpg
2023-10-06 20.03.58.jpg
2023-10-06 20.03.07.jpg
2023-10-06 20.02.56.jpg

Last edited:
I chin mounted my GoPro on my dirt bike lid and the footage is surprisingly good. It's not Hollywood level or anything, but there's no annoying movement when playing back single track rides.

The editing aspect was more time than I was interested in spending ( plus I haven't turned on an actual computer in years) so now I've got a couple SD cards full of a few hundred gigs of footage that I'll never do anything with 😁

The editing is what kills me. I just started taking the photos out of the vids as that was the main thing for me doing vids.
maybe im just too lazy… :lol3

I chin mounted my GoPro on my dirt bike lid and the footage is surprisingly good. It's not Hollywood level or anything, but there's no annoying movement when playing back single track rides.

The editing aspect was more time than I was interested in spending ( plus I haven't turned on an actual computer in years) so now I've got a couple SD cards full of a few hundred gigs of footage that I'll never do anything with 😁
What kind of mount did you use?

I've only ridden trails once so far with my helmet mount and I kept hitting it on branches. I stopped to adjust it by previewing it on my phone a few times before I stopped messing with it so most of my ride was of the ground. :lol2

The annoying movement I'm getting is from looking side to side like at intersections. The GoPro has software stabilization and horizon leveling built into it but it gives it a weird artificial looking "Pan & Scan" look to it. I messed with the stabilization processing in Shotcut a little bit but it really crops the video in and didn't seem to help much but I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I think the frame rate has an affect on it also. I read that the frame rate should be half of the shutter speed or some kind of rule of thumb like that. I haven't messed with all that much yet.

I agree, the editing it tedious. I've gotten a little quicker navigating around the software but it's still a pain.

The editing is what kills me. I just started taking the photos out of the vids as that was the main thing for me doing vids.
maybe im just too lazy… :lol3
Yeah, I was amazed and the quality of the stills available in modern video. I'm used to the screen grabs from video tapes with all the horizontal lines on them. :D

I've been doing the MC videos and editing since the Hero 1 came out, around 450 videos so far on YT. There's a lot of good editors out there, some can be expensive. I'd suggest a free editor to start with and try it out, the video quality will be based on how well you learn the software, it's far from automatic until you get your process down (workflow). The editing process is time consuming at first, esp with 4K video which is almost a necessity if you want to grow a viewership. Editing can be a time consuming process if you're trying to get best quality and creativity, it usually takes a while to get there but I've seen guys make excellent vids their first time out, takes me 3~5hrs for a well edited 4K (10min) movie and I've got the process down. The shooting off the MC is the easy part, I tend to capture allot, sometimes 2 cameras and a drone mixed together during editing. The hero 9 you're using has pretty good stabilization, I can show you some vids taken on a H9B that are very smooth.

Like ShineyRibs mentioned, the chin mount is an excellent POV position. I like to switch it up sometimes with a rear facing cam or a drone. Be creative.

What kind of mount did you use?

I've only ridden trails once so far with my helmet mount and I kept hitting it on branches. I stopped to adjust it by previewing it on my phone a few times before I stopped messing with it so most of my ride was of the ground. :lol2

The annoying movement I'm getting is from looking side to side like at intersections. The GoPro has software stabilization and horizon leveling built into it but it gives it a weird artificial looking "Pan & Scan" look to it. I messed with the stabilization processing in Shotcut a little bit but it really crops the video in and didn't seem to help much but I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I think the frame rate has an affect on it also. I read that the frame rate should be half of the shutter speed or some kind of rule of thumb like that. I haven't messed with all that much yet.

I agree, the editing it tedious. I've gotten a little quicker navigating around the software but it's still a pain.
Looking side to side quickly will screw up the shot with almost any helmet cam, it's worse with GoPro's stabilization, I cut those out during editing, they're sometime unavoidable but if you can remember or are going for a money shot pan slower with your helmet and it'll look fine.

I've been doing the MC videos and editing since the Hero 1 came out, around 450 videos so far on YT. There's a lot of good editors out there, some can be expensive. I'd suggest a free editor to start with and try it out, the video quality will be based on how well you learn the software, it's far from automatic until you get your process down (workflow). The editing process is time consuming at first, esp with 4K video which is almost a necessity if you want to grow a viewership. Editing can be a time consuming process if you're trying to get best quality and creativity, it usually takes a while to get there but I've seen guys make excellent vids their first time out, takes me 3~5hrs for a well edited 4K (10min) movie and I've got the process down. The shooting off the MC is the easy part, I tend to capture allot, sometimes 2 cameras and a drone mixed together during editing. The hero 9 you're using has pretty good stabilization, I can show you some vids taken on a H9B that are very smooth.

Like ShineyRibs mentioned, the chin mount is an excellent POV position. I like to switch it up sometimes with a rear facing cam or a drone. Be creative.
Thanks for the insight. I just watched your latest video and it's awesome! I smashed the like button, commented, subscribed and rang the bell! :lol2 I'm like a preschooler with a fat crayon compared to your work. :thumb

What software do you use? As far as free options go do you think Shotcut is pretty good or would you recommend looking into something else?

I've given up on trying to look sideways to catch something while riding, the video never captures what I want to.

I've used a GoPro 4 black on a chin mount for a couple years and it captures decent enough video and audio with a mic in my helmet. If the GoPro 4 has stabilization it's nothing like a newer model so I really have to focus on keeping my head straight ahead and steady while filming. I do like the framing of the video from that perspective but want to add another camera on the bike one of these days to get a different viewpoint and maybe capture more scenery. I'm no Max Wrist so my footage has zero excitement but usually excellent roads and scenery.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that spends about 4 hours of editing on a 10-20 minute video. The editing really is a larger part of the process than I expected. If you don't enjoy editing you likely won't film for long. I use shotcut as well, I'm sure there are much better options but for my caveman skills it has more than enough capability for me.

Hope you have fun with it!

Looking side to side quickly will screw up the shot with almost any helmet cam, it's worse with GoPro's stabilization, I cut those out during editing, they're sometime unavoidable but if you can remember or are going for a money shot pan slower with your helmet and it'll look fine.
Do you use the built in GoPro stabilization or horizon leveling? What FPS do you record at? Thanks again for your help. :-)

I've given up on trying to look sideways to catch something while riding, the video never captures what I want to.

I've used a GoPro 4 black on a chin mount for a couple years and it captures decent enough video and audio with a mic in my helmet. If the GoPro 4 has stabilization it's nothing like a newer model so I really have to focus on keeping my head straight ahead and steady while filming. I do like the framing of the video from that perspective but want to add another camera on the bike one of these days to get a different viewpoint and maybe capture more scenery. I'm no Max Wrist so my footage has zero excitement but usually excellent roads and scenery.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that spends about 4 hours of editing on a 10-20 minute video. The editing really is a larger part of the process than I expected. If you don't enjoy editing you likely won't film for long. I use shotcut as well, I'm sure there are much better options but for my caveman skills it has more than enough capability for me.

Hope you have fun with it!
Thanks for your input. Do you have a channel you're willing to share? What chin mount setup are you using?

It took me about 4 hours just to figure out how to trim clips out of a track. :lol2

It's been a lot of fun so far. It's given me a lot more appreciation for the video that we are surrounded by on a daily basis. Even the dumbest commercials seem so complex now that I have a tiny glimpse of what it takes to put it all together.

I just use a 3m sticky with a quick connect base on the helmet and a j hook on the GoPro.

I consider my riding videos almost unwatchable but here's a link if you want to check them out. One of these days I'll make something entertaining but for now they're pretty much just for me to relive the ride.

After 3-4 videos I got a better handle on how to navigate shotcut more efficiently for what I do. The learning curve on those first few is certainly steep though!

The experience definitely opens the door to see the effort that goes into a good channel nowadays, the work video editors can do is pretty impressive! This Old Tony is a channel that really sticks out to me with his ability and attention to detail.

Thanks, I shoot in 4K/60fps, usually I've got the ev comp backed off to -.5 or -1. Ev comp is a protune setting that's like sunglasses for the camera lense, you can fix dark video but you can't fix blown out video very well. I shoot in 60fps since I never know what I want to slow some of the shot down like panning a scenic view with the helmet cam. At 60fps you can go 1/2 speed smoothly. I won't be much help with the editing software, I made the choice about 5 years ago to switch to a Mac and Final Cut Pro and I haven't looked back. It's all I do on the Mac, I'm a PC guy but Mac does video very well. The PC software has improved significantly, Davinci Resolve gets mentioned allot. The Adobe stuff is good but now it requires a monthly subscription, you get some AI tools that are pretty cool.

Maybe you can download some software from Steam. They have a pretty good amount of freeware and not-so-free video editing and other types of software on the platform.

Better yet, you can strap some camcorders on your bike and film it that way! I sometimes miss the grainy video quality of VHS tapes.

DJ_MI You asked about my chin mount. I had a fairly thick sheet of copper I bent up and Scotchlock it on when I want it. It's seen some high speeds and taken some nasty branches and never popped loose.

I don't miss the chin vent being blocked. Can't tell a difference in air flow huffing and puffing around in the woods.
IMG_20231008_153341898.jpg

IMG_20231008_153436271.jpg

For the primary point of view, I prefer a chin bar mount. Of all the videos I watch, it does the best job of capturing the ride without tiring the viewer. It doesn't impact aerodynamics much, and it's easy to reach the cam, too. I have a Pro Shot mount (what a dated website!), but there are plenty of options.

1696811679990.png

Other POVs work great, but none do quite as much as the chin bar. Even with a single cam, panning shots can be taken by turning your head to the side for a few seconds, and cut in as B-roll. Standing shots change it up, too.

I put this together for videoing some mult-iday dual sport stuff but realized a battery slid into the top pocket of a riding jacket works a little better, I notice the extra weight of the battery on the helmet by the end of the day.

i-vNsxBn3-XL.jpg

DJ_MI You asked about my chin mount. I had a fairly thick sheet of copper I bent up and Scotchlock it on when I want it. It's seen some high speeds and taken some nasty branches and never popped loose.

I don't miss the chin vent being blocked. Can't tell a difference in air flow huffing and puffing around in the woods.
IMG_20231008_153341898.jpg

IMG_20231008_153436271.jpg
That's a fantastic idea! :thumb

Yeah, I'm slow enough on the trail that I don't produce any real airflow anyhow. :lol3

Thanks, I shoot in 4K/60fps, usually I've got the ev comp backed off to -.5 or -1. Ev comp is a protune setting that's like sunglasses for the camera lense, you can fix dark video but you can't fix blown out video very well. I shoot in 60fps since I never know what I want to slow some of the shot down like panning a scenic view with the helmet cam. At 60fps you can go 1/2 speed smoothly. I won't be much help with the editing software, I made the choice about 5 years ago to switch to a Mac and Final Cut Pro and I haven't looked back. It's all I do on the Mac, I'm a PC guy but Mac does video very well. The PC software has improved significantly, Davinci Resolve gets mentioned allot. The Adobe stuff is good but now it requires a monthly subscription, you get some AI tools that are pretty cool.
Thanks for sharing. That makes a lot of sense about the Ev comp. Do you use HyperSmooth or horizon leveling?

Do you think there is any advantage to shooting at 60FPS if the shot isn't going to be slowed down?

I put this together for videoing some mult-iday dual sport stuff but realized a battery slid into the top pocket of a riding jacket works a little better, I notice the extra weight of the battery on the helmet by the end of the day.
That does look like it'd be a bit heavy. I can definitely feel the additional weight of just the camera on my helmet. Good idea to move it to your jacket. I bet the run time is awesome though!

I just watched your latest videos. Nice work! :thumb

Do you think there is any advantage to shooting at 60FPS if the shot isn't going to be slowed down?
It has its advantages for flexibility later with slow motion shots, but you may find that it increases power consumption, generates a lot of heat, etc. Experiment with your cam first to see if there are any limitations before relying on using a high frame rate and missing a shot due to it overheating.

Top Bottom Back Refresh