What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Why would I joke about it ?

it comes a great muzzle break, and the BN-36 is as heavy as a SAW - so very little recoil

I'd guess about 350#-400# on the hoof, and shot was about 375yds.

Pilot Point, TX

1681848832863.png

Last edited:
There has to be a certain amount of joy in shooting hogs. I grew up on a real farm back in the day. Row crops, cattle, hogs, chickens, etc. I always hated them damned hogs. If I was to say tie one on the previous evening, dad must've known, never said a word, but I'll be damned if we didn't have hogs that need cut at 6:00 in the morning on hot day. Ever cut hogs with a bad hangover? Not an experience I can recommend.

it comes a great muzzle break, and the BN-36 is as heavy as a SAW - so very little recoil

Pilot Point, TX

1681848832863.png

I was teasing. lol. Occasionally I get a few pigs (or goats) at home... 308 or 6.5x55 Sako bolt rifle has proven to be enough. I don't like the "tactical" look and I don't see the point in military style weapons for hunting. And that is not for a lack of familiarity. I own dozens of similar tactical rifles for private security.

Last edited:
Gun mufflers are popular in Texas, Everyone I know locally that hunts uses a can.

I cant imaging being at a Long Distance range and no one with a can

BTW, I am with you on silencers. 1km range gets painfuly noisy.

The trouble is politicians who have watched too many tacky 1970's movies... and idiots who think it makes it okay to discharge weapons where they shouldn't.

While I have only hunted in North America, South America, and Austraila, I think the Euro folks do one shot, one pig, type of hunting, Ruger Mk 1 stuffs. Tell me How you hunt please...

Meanwhile in America, The AR's, Ak's and BN36's have a place in Tejas for Pigs.

You might see a pack of them , and you need to be at least 300yds away to git em
(~300 meters if you swing that way).
The sweet spot is 350-400 yds.

They are smart. And they know the farm trucks and Kawi SxS's at the main ranch (4400 acres)
They know my truck as one of the "normal trucks" so they don't care much about it.
If you go under 275 yds with any vehicle , they vanish at a full run.

Tactic is to have a Ti can, then Start dropping them. After the second or third one , they figure it out and run.

Stupid pigs, they run in single file.

Zero in on the last pig, then the next, then the next, then the next, etc.

I know the ranch and deer/pig tracks pretty well, that is where mag fed semi's come into play

I'll post some videos so you can see what we are up against in North Texas.

With some luck and a 20 rd mag, you might get 6 - 10 of them. In my book that is pretty good for leading them, on the run, prone, flat land.

Add any piggie elevation to the terrain, and they get the upper hand, Fast, I'd be lucky with 3 or 4 with a 20 rd Mag.

Last edited:
Here is some thermal drone video for the hogs at the Ranch.

Once they spook, they can split into single file, then the large mag makes sense.

BTW, I am with you on silencers. 1km range gets painfuly noisy.

We have a private range. We still use TI cans on the bolt actions, and integrated uppers on the ARs

I know, third world problems..

Last edited:
While I have only hunted in North America, South America, and Austraila, I think the Euro folks do one shot, one pig, type of hunting, Ruger Mk 1 stuffs.

Meanwhile in America, The AR's, Ak's and BN36's have a place in Tejas for Pigs.

You might see a pack of them , and you need to be at least 300yds away to git em
(~300 meters if you swing that way).
The sweet spot is 350-400 yds.

They are smart. And they know the farm trucks and Kawi SxS's at the main ranch (4400 acres)
They know my truck as one of the "normal trucks" so they don't care much about it.
If you go under 275 yds with any vehicle , they vanish at a full run.

Tactic is to have a Ti can, then Start dropping them. After the third one , they figure it out and run.

Stupid pigs, they run in single file.

Zero in on the last pig, then the next, then the next, then the next, etc.

I know the ranch and deer/pig tracks pretty well, that is where mag fed semi's come into play

I'll post some videos so you can see what we are up against in North Texas.

With some luck and a 20 rd mag, you might get 6 - 10 of them. In my book that is pretty good for leading them, on the run, prone, flat land.

Add any piggie elevation to the terrain, and they get the upper hand, Fast, I'd be lucky with 3 or 4 with a 20 rd Mag.

Yes, one shot, one pig. Often four down from four shots fired.

I can add New Zealand the (former?) home of silent rifles, Africa and Eastern Europe to your list. I've never been much of a hunter, but I didn't miss too many chances to get away when I was younger.

Oh, and Australia. I am just back from a two week trip. No shooting on this trip. You wouldn't have been doing any Texas style pig shooting there.

I can't help but shake my head when some hippies come in and start crying about the hogs being killed. They'll understand when those hogs come in and destroy their seasonal harvest. A massive loss of that nature never fails to make them understand the hatred for the beasts. It's that or the loss of a loved one who was mauled by a huge herd of them. I've tried eating hog meat. I find it way too gamy for my liking. Maybe it was due to how it was prepared. I'm down to try it another time. Hopefully it isn't as gag inducing.

Part of it is the pigs diet. Corn is good for them.

Then you gotta shoot em when it is cold out, prefer sub 32F, field dress & split their pelvis wide open and cool them down asap.
Some guys use a huge yeti cooler with salt, ice and water to throw a skinned leg quarter into.

If the meat stays "hot" for very long after the kill, then you get a more of a gaminess taste in it. no one likes that....

Kinda what I figured. It's like gator meat. I've tasted some that were a lot like what I imagine pond water tastes like while others had a more meaty flavor.

Dog meat... :imaposer

Last edited:

Pilot Point, TX

1681848832863.png
yep looking at that the Marlin swamp gun is dead in this day and age. :lol2.

Reactions: MVI
Growing up eating whatever was killed recently I was really confused later in life when I started hearing people talk about stuff tasting "gamey".

Huh?

"Does that deer taste gamey?". I dunno. It tastes like a deer.

"Does squirrel taste gamey?" It tastes like a squirrel.

"What's rabbit taste like? Is it gamey?" It tastes like a rabbit. Wtf is gamey??😁

43 years old now and heard this my whole life. Never once has anyone who complained about "gamey" meat been able to explain what they're talking about to me. Different animals taste different. It's ok if you don't like something. There's nothing wrong with the meat 🤣

Know a guy who's convinced he has to soak his deer in vinegar to get the "wild taste" out. " Tastes just like beef now!!" No, that sour shit tastes like deer meat ruined with vinegar 😁

Growing up eating whatever was killed recently I was really confused later in life when I started hearing people talk about stuff tasting "gamey".

Huh?

"Does that deer taste gamey?". I dunno. It tastes like a deer.

"Does squirrel taste gamey?" It tastes like a squirrel.

"What's rabbit taste like? Is it gamey?" It tastes like a rabbit. Wtf is gamey??😁

43 years old now and heard this my whole life. Never once has anyone who complained about "gamey" meat been able to explain what they're talking about to me. Different animals taste different. It's ok if you don't like something. There's nothing wrong with the meat 🤣

Know a guy who's convinced he has to soak his deer in vinegar to get the "wild taste" out. " Tastes just like beef now!!" No, that sour shit tastes like deer meat ruined with vinegar 😁
Gamey? Its way better to be strong tasting than dull it to the palate with the foul tasting musk of decaying flesh. that mascorades as hanging to quote add flavour. Kill it bleed it out if you get chance and eat it as soon as practical.
If its hanging much more than two days consider donating it to fertiliser because the dogs will only sniff and lick it, where as if you tossed them it still warm they would crunch it up there and then, that in its self should tell folk when its best to eat stuff you hunt.
I Like Hare, I treat hares like deer not rabbits that are bigger, they are a strong tasting meat but its just a tad different it dose not mean its inedible by any means.
I love hare and eat it fresh as. The Idea of Jugged Hare thats hang it until it gets maggot ridden is in my take on meat just plain wrong, but hey YOMV.

Top Bottom Back Refresh