What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Tech Tip:
Although the barrel design of a S&W 5906 makes shooting suppressed very difficult, there is a way.

Ecco Machine can thread the barrel and makes a custom threaded extension. You can take the extension on and off with a 17 mm box end wrench for slide disassembly.

1674920508413.png
1674920547041.png

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but my grandpa was hell-bent against trespassers as he was afraid someone would get hurt walking around the woods and he'd be held liable. I live next to a lake spillway pond and local kids used to go through my yard and woods to swim in it, I consulted the Sheriff about liability and he recommended copious amounts of "no trespassing" signs on my property. The problem was solved when some went down there and found a dead deer floating in it, but I have the signs up in multiple places anyway as well as the purple paint that IL now recognizes as an indicator of "no trespassing".

I live on a walled estate. The 3m walls and security patrols should tell people something without the need to post ugly signs. It is difficult to impossible for adults to innocently or unknowingly wander into private areas. If they carry a drone or long lens they will be treated as paparazzi (bad for them!) until proven otherwise. Either way they don't get them back. Local children sneak in to swim at the quarry. I don't have a problem with that and we try to keep it safe for them. They may not know that we know. They know they are trespassing and scatter when approached, but as long as they stay within certain areas and out of others it is just a game.

I can not give you an absolute reason why. But this past 6 months or so i have Bought Three air pistols and Two air rifles.
Ok had air rifles since i was a kid used them now and again , and have had a few pistols over the years, but its decades since i bought one let alone four in about six months.
I think it started with me wanting a Rat shooting set up that killed them decisively without drilling holes in them and was not too pellet fussy.
I never did the handgun thing here in the Uk , i was all rifles and shotguns , the paper punching handguns when legal to own here just never appealed to me.
But as a youngster i had a BSA scorpion .22 air pistol and became prety accurate with it and could hit rats with it to 10/ 15 yards and i liked the instinctive type of accuracy aspect for want of a better term it was kind of wingshooting with a shotgun in nature to my way of thinking.
The BSA went in the early 80s in some complicated swap / hybrid deal for a Diesel engine if i remember rightly.
Had a few air pistols still had an old Predom/ walther type target pistol , But nothing that proficient at 15 yard Rats. so i first got a cfrossman 2240 CO2 pistol, it is good for money and works is simple and lots of mods available, i have plans steel breach a silencer etc. But i found the fact the co2s should not be left in long term and the drop in velocity in low temperatures a bit faffy. And i wanted a simple break barrel pistol or pump up pistol.
I Looked online and found a few candidates not as well known as the Crosmans but similar in size power and style to my old childhood BSA. ( I think the childhood thing could be driving my reborn air gun thing).
Gun i first got was Hatsan supercharger in .22 , a reasonably low cost but competent pistol with a good adjustable trigger and with enough poke to dispatch a rat at 10/ 15 possibly 20 yards if i could ever master it at rat sized targets at 20 yards that is.
it works well for me i am reliably killing to 10 yards and a bit more and though hitting targets at 20yards i dont think i am quite there yet on reliable accuracy its a work in progress i am afraid.
Likeing my time with these air pistols , i decided to get a pump up crossman 1377 or 1322, to cure the co2 faffing and yet get the known crossman deal with the mods etc.
Called at the local gun shop and They were out of stock of the crosman 1377s, but i ended up buying a Umarex Trevox .177. a cheap gas ram break barrel thats decent enough apart from the trigger thats basic and a bit draggy and takes some getting used too. But its accurate and Kills to 10 yards so far on rats and even shot and cleanly killed a carrion crow off a grain silo at around 15 yards so its go what it takes if i do my part.
I Decided i had never owned a .25 air rifle, so i purchased a Hatsan 1000x wood stock spring break barrel air rufle. And again on rats to 20/ 25 yards its derisive on rats no drilling holes in them like the .177s and it seems i get barely a kick out of them just dead.
I have too many intrests in the shooting world waterfowling foxing deer stalking pigeon shooting etc to be spending much more time or money on air guns. But I am planning on one more purchase in my recent air gun shooting resurgence and thats a pre charged phnumatic rifle in .177. I intend to use this for of course Rats a little low cost Pigeon and who knows crow decoying activity .
I have undertaked crow control with the .22 rimfires before and that was a intresting challenge and i see the idea of decoying pigeons with an air rifle as cheap given the price of shotshells thesse days and enjoyable too. Not sure it will be that productive on the numbers game but we will see. I am enjoying my time with air rifles at the moment its ... Well.... Different sort of basic and grass roots nostalgic for me anyway.

I picked up a Daystate Harrier single shot .177 in a trade a few years back, it was the most accurate air rifle I've ever laid hands on. It was Pre-charge Pneumatic so came with a scuba tank and air lines to fill the rifle. Shot it every other weekend for 2 years and never had to refill the scuba tank. Traded it off to a buddy that had grandkids that he wanted to teach, would like to get an AirForce to keep around.

The whole air gun scene in the UK is fueled by companies pandering to the popularity of air rifles which is down to the strict gun laws here.
enough politics. ... so a spin off of the above is that the likes of BSA air arms theoben daystate and Gamo which are Birmingham BSA made are here and there is a wide range of guns to chose from both fac . ( Unlimited ) or 12FT lbs no licence required.
Any power any calibre etc its all down to how deep your pockets are and how bad you want a given air rifle thats all.
ME! being me i am a cheapskate on many things and air rifles being far from a primary shooting sport for me i have to cut my cloth as they say accordingly.
My Air rifle needs are BASIC in nature, i simply dont need high power. if i wanted over 100Ftlbs Muzzle energy to get a job done i would just use my old BRNO CZ 452 .22 rimfire its accurate and is mine already but only worth £150 on the open market where as a Pre charged pneumatic would be £1000+ and some dependent for a PCP of equivalent FT Lbs to the Long rifle .22 Rimfire cartridge.
So i am looking at a PCP thats low budget simple and rugged and a known entity re durability logevity etc.
I once owned a PCP in .22 a single shot webley raider, which was super accurate but i moved it on and after regreted it. I looked at several options and i decided on the .177 mostly down to availability cheaper pellets shot count per charge and flattish trajectory to 30 to 40 yards which is about as far as i want to shoot at living birds with an air rifle i think.
Three guns are in the running BSA R10 or a Air arms S410 or a Hatsan AT4410. Looked at them all and Weighed up the cost and the Hatsan AT44 is cheaper and seemingly gets the job done, so i think it will be the one i choose being cheap like i undoubtedly am.
i may well fit a Huma regulator to mine or similar at some point if i think i need to i am going to see what i find with it first.. .

Last edited:
No air rifles. Biathlon is a school sport (expensive girls school btw) and somehow I became the sponsor. I am forever buying rifles and gear and parts for them to try. I was doing the same when I was their age and I am not past getting out there with them. Same pistol shooting.

Some of the older UA girls have become shooters. They start small and graduate to rifle like Sako TRGs quickly.

Last edited:
one minor ice storm and our indoor range closes :fpalm

1675177454867.png

Dwight (Bappo on the other forum) let us play with his competition single-hand pellet pistol. That's the one on the left in this picture.

I let him play with my new M&P 2.0 compact - which he seemed to like.

NdWJpxv.jpg

False. My first time, I was handed a Mosin Nagant and it was explained to me that the recoil wasn't that bad.

:lol2

First rifle I ever shot as a kid was 30-40 Krag. Same story, guy said "it don't kick"

I've had tinnitus all of my life. I don't know of a time that I didn't have it.
I only recognized decades later that pulling the 12 gauge trigger - with my dad bracing the shotgun - probably started the ringing. F

For her, since she has never shot before, her hearing is probably great. I had her put ear plugs in, then had her put my active ear-pro muffs over her ears on top of the plugs. This was one of the few ranges that allow some rifle fire indoors, and there was a kid with an AK there firing off his last few rounds (thankfully). After that group was gone, it was very manageable 9mm fire from the other shooter left on the range.

My goal was to get out to the outdoor range, Okeechobee Shooting Sports, the next day, but we went into vacation mode and didn't get as much done as we had hoped each day.

Reactions: CTG
Man, I want a 1911 so bad. Stainless with red wood grips just like that. I never can find a desk on them when I'm ready to spend gun money though.

But $600 down from $800? Really? Have they dropped greatly in price recently, because I was thinking they're over a grand every time I've looked at one.

Man, I want a 1911 so bad. Stainless with red wood grips just like that. I never can find a desk on them when I'm ready to spend gun money though.

But $600 down from $800? Really? Have they dropped greatly in price recently, because I was thinking they're over a grand every time I've looked at one.
The time to buy is now. Still in stock !

Top Bottom Back Refresh