Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

277 FURY

1714435237834.png

3 piece ammo round looks expensive for the commoner to shoot

1714435303234.png

Target acquired

Screenshot_20240427-090937~2.png
You're a nature killer!

I remember some girl calling me a nature killer when I was 13. I was camping in the forest on my own and foraged my own food. Some girl didn't like the fact I killed a few squirrels. It's not like I did it for kicks. I was gonna be hungry later on!

I Have been much less active in the Waterfowl shotgun Patterning and Load development this past few years.
Covid then a i had a stroke coupled with less than reliable propellant supply led me to just stick with what was working in guns and choke set ups of known capability.
Back end of the season i came to the conclusion i missed the patterning and knocking out a 65 yard pinkfoot on the firth of forth on the last day of the season i swore to get back into the development in the off season.
Powder is as sketchey to get as ever and expensive too, i have a good few kgs of aliant 381 which is a comercial version of aliant steel which as those in the know acept varied lot to lot never mind if aliant denied it or not.
I Patterened several loads based losely around a Known load that worked in my browning gold ten bore and Terror .720 choke incorporating BBB steel shot in RSI10 wads , at 1585 FPS not bad for a 44 gram load and through the .720 the BBBs were delivering in the mid to high 80s% at 40m and the slower 1460fps variant gave reliable 70 to 75% at 60M which is IMO merit for the loads utilization as is.
I loaded a few batches i ran over the chrono and went down to 1360FPS which is not slovenly in actual fact but about as fast in 44gram loads as the newer lots of canister A steel can safely bmake anyway.
The same Loads at 1360FPS through my .720 werec acctualy lower on % at 60M than the Mid speed loads and even worse than the aproaching 1600FPS loads i first tested.
Shotgun patterning is always entertaining, its full of sprises throws up quandries and considerations you would never knew existed until you experience them first hand.
Patterns dont kill pellets kill but on target hits counts for a big % of the equation and given you the nut behind the butt places that prety pattern in the right bit of the sky at the right time the results will happen clean and reliable. Time playing with loads even in shotguns is not wasted time i view it as nessasary and i also find it interesting and above all confidence building and confidence is a big thing it gets you efficient and as such humane which i am sure we all know we must strive to acchieve. i consider it time well stent . YOMV.

277 FURY

1714435237834.png

3 piece ammo round looks expensive for the commoner to shoot

1714435303234.png

I don't really understand this. The explanation that it needs reinforcing due to pressures that would "literally" blow apart a be brass case...that added "literally" feels like it was tacked on by an eager fanboy 😁 But seriously, the case shouldn't need to withstand the pressure, should it? The cylinder and the bolt enclose the cartridge providing the support everything needs, and makes sure the bullets goes straight down the barrel. Are there any firearm designs where the cartridge has to withstand the pressures driving the projectile away?

I mean, 12 gauge slugs come in plastic shells. Used to see paper ones. I think I'm missing something here .

Reactions: CTG
Just Speculation, but higher pressure cases take you in to the Belted Magnum Brass realm, while 277 Fury is non belted. The 277 Fury has the highest chamber pressure of any round approved by SAAMI.
At 80,000 psi, the 277 Fury has a much higher pressure than the 55,114 psi of the 5.56.

The appeal of the 277 FURY is that the it works on a M4 Platform for the military, whereas Belted cases will not ( that I know of )

I already admitted I didn't understand. No need to rub it in, buddy 😄

Reactions: MVI
That was my guess. The case needed to be stronger cuz it was used in a platform that wasn’t as strong.

I already admitted I didn't understand. No need to rub it in, buddy 😄
Soooory.

At $2 per shot, I wont be interested in this at all.

The Deer I shoot drop like a rock with 150GR SP 308 WIN ammo at $0.75 per round.

Tonight we sit down to the last of this from last Autumn.
I got Half a Lb of Reloader 22 and 74 Grains of it is going in each of my 7mm rem mag winchester cases Pushing some 120 grain sierras ready for my next venture out in the roar.
1715339432067.png

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh