What's new

Sign, Sign, everywhere a sign.

_nc_ohc=jNk6VpQUP1AAX_ZgPEW&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

Burn? They used to have a front end loader turn our towns brush piles until they became compost.
Then they'd pile that separately and FREE compost for everybody.
Now they've privatized it and the compost gets shipped out of town for $$$.
Probably returns at $5 a bag.

Last edited:
Somewhere in western ID, I forgot exactly where....

This is an often photographed sign, have seen various photos at this location on the "moto-websites" over the years. IIRC, there is "moose crossing" painted on the road here as well.

100_0428.jpg
That's on Route 12 - western end. I'm with ya on that Huckleberry pie - awful stuff.

I want to get a pic in front of this house.

Maybe I don't want to know but what were you doing in that area?
Lovely house! Get a pic of your bike in front of it!

When people tell me of awful areas to be in during the night time, I always develop a curiosity. It's like when I moved to the Philly burbs and people would mention Kensington. Their version of "fucking awful and don't ever go there" might be different from mine. I went to 7 mile and Moross. It wasn't all that bad compared to many other places I've been. Kensington, OTOH, was fucking awful and don't ever go there for any reason! I ran every light once I noticed the fiends and other scalawags started taking notice on my car and I. I darted for I-95 as fast as possible.

Akron could be that brutal. Day or night! I got use to it like living FL...I moved! But kinda still the same.

Lovely house! Get a pic of your bike in front of it!​

When people tell me of awful areas to be in during the night time, I always develop a curiosity. It's like when I moved to the Philly burbs and people would mention Kensington. Their version of "fucking awful and don't ever go there" might be different from mine. I went to 7 mile and Moross. It wasn't all that bad compared to many other places I've been. Kensington, OTOH, was fucking awful and don't ever go there for any reason! I ran every light once I noticed the fiends and other scalawags started taking notice on my car and I. I darted for I-95 as fast as possible.
That's a long ride in the cold. Hopefully it's still there when it's warm enough though that's from Jan 2022 so it's unlikely. If not at least I can get a "Then and Now" picture there. :D

I found that house by looking on street view at 7 & Moross. It doesn't look that bad until you get onto the side streets and even then it changes quickly. There's a lot of Detroit like that; a few blocks that look fairly well kept and then suddenly it looks like Walking Dead. Some areas are just blocks and blocks of empty fields. It's pretty wild if you go to that house and turn around look across the street and rewind time to see the time lapse of the decay. What else is pretty wild is that 9 out of the 15 lots on that side of Linnhurst and 13 of the 14 parcels across the street are all owned by the Detroit Land Bank Authority. 76% of that block is owned by the city! That got me wondering... how much property do they own?

I found this csv from the City of Detroit: "Land parcel data for all properties in the City of Detroit from the Office of the Assessor."
The data has the parcel owner and sq/ft on the lot. It turns out that the city owns a staggering amount of property throughout the city.
Det-Parcels.png

Back in the rust belt decay, folks in Detroit just stopped paying their property taxes. I imagine many, if not most of those properties became city owned via tax title.

These are a cross post from another thread but I wanted to post it up here too since this is where we were talking about it.

Here’s the sign right before 7 Mile turns into Moross.
IMG_3473.jpeg

And here’s the Street View of the house with the sign on the front door:
IMG_3488.jpeg

IMG_3489.jpeg

And here’s my pictures from last night:
IMG_3475.jpeg
IMG_3474.jpeg

Unfortunately the sign is gone. :lol2

Top Bottom Back Refresh