What's new

Slow wheelies anyone?

Fascinating info, matty. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out!
Honestly I don’t know squat about trials riding or trials bikes but I do know that it sure looks like a fun challenge and a great way to develop advanced skills. Our dream of moving a more rural area is a good few years off still so for now I make do with what I have. :thumb
Making do with what you have is good option , its cheap and you are on it now not searching it out funding the purchase or even collecting and housing it its just there now doing it whats not to like.
And dont forget mods to your existing wheelie tool, a simple smaller front sprocket will reduce your gearing with probably not even a chain swap neaded. Biger rear sprocket will gear it down more and cost a few more $ but wont break the bank and you are using available power to increase acceleration etc which would mean engine mods to get the same performance from a stock geared bike. Top end speed or relaxed cruising are probably worth trading for the extra grunt at the low end you could gain.

I just got done practicing for a while. I feel like I made some progress.

Notes:
  • I’m way too choppy with the controls.
  • I was keeping my foot off the brake pedal before. Tonight I treated it more like a Glock trigger and took up a little slack first which definitely helped
  • First gear makes it worse with the increased torque multiplication. Second gear helps me with my choppiness
  • I’ve been thinking I’m at the balance point but I’m not really. I’ve been too chicken.
  • I didn’t know where I was looking before. Now I’m consciously focusing on a point farther away
  • I think I’m popping it up too quickly which makes my choppiness worse. Just like shooting, you can’t go fast until you’re accurate. You guys have suggested using the suspension more and that helped.
Thanks again for your help fellas. Good times! :thumb

Last edited:
Oh yeah and I tried the leg drag that matty recommended. It’s an awkward feeling but I definitely should have tried that sooner! :thumb

If you are up hanging off the back try the blip blip to hold point its a way of feeling that point and gaining confidence being up there around it. Try getting it up with the lowest speed possible . Lean forward Jab the front time the power out move back up it comes slip off the back you will be traveling less speed learning the balance point not wasting time taming it or over cooking with the inevitable walk off and violent put down or even dropping it. Off the back up you got no back brake and athaleticaly getting up over and getting it down will be a brutal put down with the usual coming out of the drop out of shape in the nasty swerve that has the real potential to end badly. Remember it its gone its gone dont fight it stand and let it go be a spectator not a participant in the crash bikes feel no pain its just aesthetics with them. :lol2

If you are up hanging off the back try the blip blip to hold point its a way of feeling that point and gaining confidence being up there around it. Try getting it up with the lowest speed possible . Lean forward Jab the front time the power out move back up it comes slip off the back you will be traveling less speed learning the balance point not wasting time taming it or over cooking with the inevitable walk off and violent put down or even dropping it. Off the back up you got no back brake and athaleticaly getting up over and getting it down will be a brutal put down with the usual coming out of the drop out of shape in the nasty swerve that has the real potential to end badly. Remember it its gone its gone dont fight it stand and let it go be a spectator not a participant in the crash bikes feel no pain its just aesthetics with them. :lol2
Sound advice.

I’ve had some rough put downs but in all the time I’ve been practicing I haven’t dumped it yet. Honestly I think that means I’m not trying hard enough.

So I’m watching the video from last night and noticed a few things.

• Wearing proper gear gives me more confidence. I don’t know what I was thinking practicing in Crocs. :uhoh
  • I’m not leaning back enough and keeping my arms extended.
  • My best attempts are the ones where I rock back gently. Kind of like an auto dumping hopper pivoting into position.
  • I need to use my weight on the pegs more for side to side balance.
  • I’m going to try a little less pressure in the rear tire.
  • Maybe I need to grow a pair and find the balance point with higher speed and the increased lateral stability it’ll give the bike.

It's so hard to learn back. I reckon it's self preservation that kicks in and makes you want to hug the bars when you feel the front end come up.

The only times I've hit balance point was by accident and well on my way to a loopout. I saved some, some I didn't. There's definitely a feeling of weightlessness wheel you get there.

I hear you on gear. If I don't have my back protection on I'm super sissy about wheelie practice.

It's so hard to learn back. I reckon it's self preservation that kicks in and makes you want to hug the bars when you feel the front end come up.

The only times I've hit balance point was by accident and well on my way to a loopout. I saved some, some I didn't. There's definitely a feeling of weightlessness wheel you get there.

I hear you on gear. If I don't have my back protection on I'm super sissy about wheelie practice.
It certainly is. I had a lot of hard landings last night because I was getting a steeper angle and stabbed the brake instead of being gentle. It’s going to be harder to control that impulse while leaning my body back more in a natural position. I think my point about easing it up more gently should help though.

Damn bro, you're killing it!

Alright. When my hand bandage comes I'm going back to wheelie practice 😁 Ya got me

Well...the combokids would approve. They both hammer the idea of setting the front back down. He said he could ride a wheely but not having brake control ended on a drz loop out with the resulting injury.

My bmx loop outs was all on one bike with painted rims. The brake bite was not nearly enough when I needed it.

I always preferred my xt225 brake in the snow because of the control. But there are a few friction points that needed fixed. The cam can get sticky in the backing plate. And the cam"lobes" can stick on pad contact. The shaft was just lubed. But the cam was radiused at the shoe contact. Maybe a drop of oil on the linkage, pedal shaft and cam shaft would help....take 30seconds and no tools

Well...the combokids would approve. They both hammer the idea of setting the front back down. He said he could ride a wheely but not having brake control ended on a drz loop out with the resulting injury.

My bmx loop outs was all on one bike with painted rims. The brake bite was not nearly enough when I needed it.

I always preferred my xt225 brake in the snow because of the control. But there are a few friction points that needed fixed. The cam can get sticky in the backing plate. And the cam"lobes" can stick on pad contact. The shaft was just lubed. But the cam was radiused at the shoe contact. Maybe a drop of oil on the linkage, pedal shaft and cam shaft would help....take 30seconds and no tools
I watched the combokids when I was first starting to try this. I stopped watching them when they were riding in big mobs down the freeway like idiots but that’s another topic.

Everyone I watched emphasized the rear brake but I’m not sure they mean jamming it and slamming the front end down. I’m working on getting smoother. :thumb I just didn’t want to completely edit out all the mistakes and misrepresent how I was doing. I like the last hard put down when it stalls and I looked pretty dejected. :lol2 I was tired by then and hurt my wrist a little bit. I should’ve stopped sooner. Lesson learned.

My brake was modded. The shoes had gas channels, radius the cam and 45° pattern the drum with 60 grit or less.

Hook up a left hand brake overide. Add axle freestyle pegs!

The stunterz cheat ! But not every rider...I still claim early 2000s crf50 riders set the bar. For miles or circle wheelies in the garage

My brake was modded. The shoes had gas channels, radius the cam and 45° pattern the drum with 60 grit or less.

Hook up a left hand brake overide. Add axle freestyle pegs!

The stunterz cheat ! But not every rider...I still claim early 2000s crf50 riders set the bar. For miles or circle wheelies in the garage
Yeah, I’m getting you now. The rear brake is very touchy on the TTR. If I can’t get a better handle on controlling it maybe I’ll have a try at tuning it a bit. :thumb

My kid wanted to come down to work today and work on his car so I spent some time on the bike. I didn’t take any video but I feel like I’ve improved a little.

I’m constantly forgetting all the points that I need to remember so I’m going to make a list and print them out so I can review them when I practice. I realized earlier that I was staring at the front fender and not picking a point in the distance to focus on. I’m sure there were others that I didn’t even realize.

Yeah, I’m getting you now. The rear brake is very touchy on the TTR. If I can’t get a better handle on controlling it maybe I’ll have a try at tuning it a bit. :thumb
I wouldn't be surprised if the cam shaft has some scoring and corrosion. The cam to shoe contact has a groove and nedds dressed. If you are inside the brake..bevel the leading edge of the shoes and lightly sand shoe and drum face..no brake kleen! Only soapy water and air. Grease the cam contact and bushing. Should be a different brake..

Like I said I am old man. ..balance crap needs stabalizer muscle. Take a break! And then attack.. I think you nailed the inspirational thread for bucket list.

To be a better rider should
be I1 st. Ican kiss my front wheel on a log 50ft feet away..but no slow whee
ly...

The 50cc days of dad and grandpa circle wheelying a crf50 m. I feel humble.

I do have gear I never wear to work

Motomamax kills tw200 wheelies..
I need some Wile E acme center of gravity blueprint.

Top Bottom Back Refresh