What's new

Suspension: Setup and Technical Talk

Finally got a day to test the new spring. I believe I Finally got it set good to start. I did find out that the tires I have on are junk in the sloppy mud after 4days of rain here in western Pennsylvania. Hopefully the farmer doesn't get pissed from me sliding across the one field just once. Lol

H7Sn1VS.jpg

Was servicing this fork the other day :yikes

It's a good reminder: no matter what fancy coatings you have in the fork or shock, if you neglect the service for too long, you will ruin it.

Keep the oil fresh and change those piston bands and bushings in time before they wear out.

What's the general opinion on lowering links? I have a CRF450L that I need to re-spring the rear for me, more fuel, and camping gear. I'm pretty sure that after setting sag, the bike will sit high enough that I'll be on the tips of my boots while trying to move it around on foot.

Are there any brands or types of lowering links that are preferred or should be avoided? I'm going to see how the bike sits without LLs, but I thought I'd ask in case I need longer legs or a shorter bike.

I have lowered all of my bikes in the last 8 years. Lowering links change the leverage on the shock, so I always go with internal spacers. It is a good idea to lower the front a similar amount, so you don’t change geometry too much.

What's the general opinion on lowering links? I have a CRF450L that I need to re-spring the rear for me, more fuel, and camping gear. I'm pretty sure that after setting sag, the bike will sit high enough that I'll be on the tips of my boots while trying to move it around on foot.

Are there any brands or types of lowering links that are preferred or should be avoided? I'm going to see how the bike sits without LLs, but I thought I'd ask in case I need longer legs or a shorter bike.
Internal lowering is the way to go.

ZETA makes a kit front and rear for your 450L

Hi everybody, I'm a fork hoarder.

But as we all know, one can never have too many CC forks. I already own a couple but when I came about this I had to buy it.

igejljw.jpg

NwdudK2.jpg

8S0j3I9.jpg

The fork is from a 2015 SX-F 450 so it's the last year of the WP closed cartridge (with all the updates) and lugs for the small axle.

The fork is practically unused and it has never been opened. With a slight shim shuffle it'll be perfect for enduro for many years to come.

Last edited:
Hi everybody, I'm a fork horder.

But as we all know, one can never have too many CC forks. I already own a couple but when I came about this I had to buy it.

igejljw.jpg

NwdudK2.jpg

8S0j3I9.jpg

The fork is from a 2015 SX-F 450 so it's the last year of the WP closed cartridge (with all the updates) and lugs for the small axle.

The fork is practically unused and it has never been opened. With a slight shim shuffle it'll be perfect for enduro for many years to come.
That's a highly prized fork!

Good find 👍

Found quite a surprise when I took the CC fork apart.

The mid-valve compression face shims were not properly centred on the post before assembly so they were all mangled.

CehJIx2.jpg

Maybe this fork was assembled on Monday morning right after the Oktoberfest :photog

Found quite a surprise when I took the CC fork apart.

The mid-valve compression face shims were not properly centred on the post before assembly so they were all mangled.

CehJIx2.jpg

Maybe this fork was assembled on Monday morning right after the Oktoberfest :photog
KTM still has serious quality control issues. About like Chevrolet

I decided to add a suspension book to my service manuals. Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible seemed like a good place to start, and it's on sale. I haven't read it yet, but the illustrations are great.

Amazon product ASIN 0760331405

Beware racetech's suspension recommendations are typically .......questionable. Specially when it comes to springs.

Thanks for the insight. What's questionable about their spring recommendations, particularly if it involves dual sports? I'll be ordering a shock spring soon, so I'd appreciate the good word from Hawaii.

The book has been out for twelve years, but I didn't think that much had changed.

They tend to go overboard, just by their configuration tool, leans WAY to the side of too heavy.

Suspensions are like chess though, easy concept BITCH to master.

At a fundamental level its get the sag right, and if you can't get the sag right ...re-spring.

Once you have the sag right its a matter of tuning how fast or slow the stuff moves. This is compounded by triple circuit (high/low speed compression) and things like air gap which are style/art type decisions.

Good to know. I've used their tool and wondered about that. I was already thinking about shading to the lighter side since I'm no MXer, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

You can actually math it out with relation to the spring rate, its literally cm/kg or inch/pound (easier in metric).

I decided to add a suspension book to my service manuals. Race Tech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible seemed like a good place to start, and it's on sale. I haven't read it yet, but the illustrations are great.

That’s an excellent book. Makes my brain hurt (in a good way) every time I read it.

[/QUOTE]
My bike has a decent OE suspension (Honda CRF450L), so getting the shock spring in the ballpark should give me a good foundation for experimentation. As it is, the OE spring is too weak for me and three extra gallons of fuel, and that can't be solved by cranking pre-load up.

I'll take a crack at cyphering it and compare with the book and online calculator.

Yeah, so at that point. Time to get new springs.

Good to know. I've used their tool and wondered about that. I was already thinking about shading to the lighter side since I'm no MXer, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Compare Spring Manufacturer Recommendations, and be honest about how actually ride the bike with all your gear and supplies for a weight analysis. I see you dont MX, but some air time in CO can be fun gonig across Stony Pass et. al.

When I was shopping to sort out the CRF450L, opinions varied a lot.
  • Racetec calculator 6.3
  • Cannon Spring tech on the phone 6.8
Plus Cannon Spring is "local" to me in Oklahoma. as one can deduce, I also went in with heavier Fork springs. In Summary, I'd lean towards heavier rather than lighter for the upgrade

My first ride (literally) on the new set up was at the start line of the AMA Ozark 200, and what a difference it made, in a good way.

We have a natural tendency to think that stiffer springs are going to give a harsh ride, so we aren't truthful about weight. Yeah, an empty 1 ton truck rides a bit rough, but that's not how bikes work. Probably the most common cause of a harsh riding bike is one that is undersprung and blowing through the valving.

I'm 220-240 lbs depending on gear. Every time I increase spring rates ( every bike for me) the ride becomes so much smoother. Then you can start fine tuning the damping.

We have a natural tendency to think that stiffer springs are going to give a harsh ride, so we aren't truthful about weight. Yeah, an empty 1 ton truck rides a bit rough, but that's not how bikes work. Probably the most common cause of a harsh riding bike is one that is undersprung and blowing through the valving.

I'm 220-240 lbs depending on gear. Every time I increase spring rates ( every bike for me) the ride becomes so much smoother. Then you can start fine tuning the damping.
:stupid going to much heavier springs with proper dampening made CRF Plush. Night and Day difference. I now could use the Full suspension travel.

That's a good one. Does a pretty good job of making complex subject look simple.
Although why "Springs control ride height" and "dampers control suspension speed" needs a whole book is beyond me. :-)

Top Bottom Back Refresh