What's new

The Art of the Ride Report

I can’t speak for others, but in my case it’s more of a lack of talent then not wanting to.
It doesn’t help that I haven’t seen the inside of classroom in over 45 years.

You know what a noun and a verb are, understand contractions and can even use punctuation. :lol3

You're more than qualified. Go for it. :happay

You guys almost had me talked Into it until Klaviator mentioned It would be a good idea to include some photos.
Taking pics with a modern point and shoot camera or phone is not rocket science. If you normally get on the forum with your phone then it would probably be easier to post pics from your phone. If you use a computer then a real camera would be easier as far as posting the pics.

I thought I had the camera thing figured out, I bought a Go Pro put it on my helmet, and added an external battery plus a remote to mount on the bars. The plan was to have it set for a 10 shot burst over about 2 seconds. The hope being I would be able to take photos without insulting the folks going about their lives. Took it on a ride to Guatemala.
Short version is it almost never worked as planned. The remote failed on that trip and the next time I tried to use the camera it refused to boot up making it worthless.
I would have been better off just lighting 7 one hundred dollar bills on fire and using my phone to take photos, at least then I would have gotten at least one good shot

I thought I had the camera thing figured out, I bought a Go Pro put it on my helmet, and added an external battery plus a remote to mount on the bars. The plan was to have it set for a 10 shot burst over about 2 seconds. The hope being I would be able to take photos without insulting the folks going about their lives. Took it on a ride to Guatemala.
Short version is it almost never worked as planned. The remote failed on that trip and the next time I tried to use the camera it refused to boot up making it worthless.
I would have been better off just lighting 7 one hundred dollar bills on fire and using my phone to take photos, at least then I would have gotten at least one good shot

Exactly, 100%. Just stop, take a photo with the phone. Done. Make a memory to share, no fuss, no muss. GoPro sucks balls.

Taking pics with a modern point and shoot camera or phone is not rocket science. If you normally get on the forum with your phone then it would probably be easier to post pics from your phone. If you use a computer then a real camera would be easier as far as posting the pics.

I seem to be "contrary" today... :lol3

I only use my phone for photos, when I hit wifi it automatically uploads them to google photos. I never post anything to this forum from my phone, always from a laptop. Easy drag and drop right from google photos. I find doing anything from my phone, especially typing, to be much more of a PITA than from a laptop.

I seem to be "contrary" today... :lol3

I only use my phone for photos, when I hit wifi it automatically uploads them to google photos. I never post anything to this forum from my phone, always from a laptop. Easy drag and drop right from google photos. I find doing anything from my phone, especially typing, to be much more of a PITA than from a laptop.
less than 1% of what I do on the forum is from my phone. Beside being a pita to post anything more than a short sentence or two or a pic, I don't looking at stuff on the small screen. For pics I take the SD card out of my camera and download it to my computer. For the other forums I download the pics to SmugMug and post from there. For this forum I decided to download directly to the forum. It gives me an additional backup for my pics.

less than 1% of what I do on the forum is from my phone. Beside being a pita to post anything more than a short sentence or two or a pic, I don't looking at stuff on the small screen. For pics I take the SD card out of my camera and download it to my computer. For the other forums I download the pics to SmugMug and post from there. For this forum I decided to download directly to the forum. It gives me an additional backup for my pics.

Understood, but that's why I like the phone camera and google photos. Automatic, no muss, no fuss, easy to edit and share. Of course, YMMV. :lol3

Understood, but that's why I like the phone camera and google photos. Automatic, no muss, no fuss, easy to edit and share. Of course, YMMV. :lol3
There is more than one way to do most things. One of the reasons I started this thread was so we could share ideas. It never occurred to me to do it the way you do but now I can see the advantages. I don't know that I'll switch but for someone who isn't old and set in his ways:gerg it would be worth considering.

I've done any number of ride reports and from your description yeah they're mostly "stop" reports. I have a camera on the bike I can use while riding but haven't used it in quite awhile. I've written bits about shorter and longer rides. I enjoy it but it's been some time since I've written one. I've had them up on ADV and our local forum ridetherock.com.

I enjoy writing in general and I have written for some different magazines mostly writing about motorcycle stuff or beer stuff. I used to write a beer column for our local newspaper until they dropped all of their freelancers.

I'm not much of a photographer but I can usually get a reasonable image of what I'm shooting. These days I shoot mostly with my iPhone and it works just fine. It does have some limitations compared to a real camera but I'm not good enough to care for the most part and my better camera doesn't fit in my tank bag very well. I may fiddle to see if I can figure out a good way to carry it for my Trans Taiga trip coming up.

I've been using SmuMug for a lot of years and for me it's a great tool for hosting my pics and easy transfer for my RR's.

I really enjoy writing about it and then seeing what other people have to say when they start reading it. I love the banter and the hijacks and all that comes with having your own thread.

I really enjoy writing about it and then seeing what other people have to say when they start reading it. I love the banter and the hijacks and all that comes with having your own thread.
I absolutely agree with you on this. This is one reason why I think the forum format for ride reports is so much better than a magazine article or a blog. In a forum ride report everyone can participate. I have seen some really popular ride reports where the huge number of responses cluttered the report but I haven't had that problem in mine.

The way I look at it, a ride report shouldn't be a lecture but rather a discussion. When it's a discussion among friends that's even better. It seems that there is generally a fairly small group of people participating in ride reports so after a while I feel like I know those people. They comment in my ride report and I do the same thing in theirs and we also participate in other ride reports.

I do a lot of group rides. I'm not talking about poker runs or charity rides where you go out and ride with a hundred or more strangers. I post rides on a couple of forums and we normally end up with 2 to around a dozen riders. After the ride I do a ride report. Some of the others on the ride may add a few pics or a video. Others just make comments but it becomes a way for everyone to discuss the ride afterwards.

Putting together my ride report, I tried to get a draft for each day written up while I was sitting around the campfire at night. I used my phone's notepad so I didn't need service, and just put in place holders for photos. Posting was usually an activity for the next day at lunch.

I like to think I had an equal mix of riding discussion and stopping discussions... But unless there's something silly that happened, one forest road is largely the same as another.

I take pics on my phone and it's super easy to load pics to SmugMug so that keeps it easy. I will almost never post pics from SmugMug using my phone. I generally use my computer or my iPad if I'm on the road. I find bit easy and am happy to have all of my photos in one easy place to upload from. I have something over 15K pics up there.

Exactly, 100%. Just stop, take a photo with the phone. Done. Make a memory to share, no fuss, no muss. GoPro sucks balls.
My failed attempt with the go pro was to avoid stopping and taking a photo of folks going about their lives.
If I see a bunch of ladies doing laundry in a creek, for example stopping and pulling out a camera seems disrespectful.
Or like on my last trip when I came across a field of harvested poppies in a Narco area of the Copper Canyon. Stopping seemed like a bad idea.

I actually like doing "ride" reports, even though they are more like stop reports. They let me document travels for family to see, friends to see, and for me to re-read reliving the ride kind of like look at a photo album.

I used to shoot some video but frankly I found that what is cool video to me in a lot of cases is not to others. I also find that video's that are more than 30 seconds of a minute get boring and ruin the flow of reading the report. To each his own I guess. Most of the original Threadfesters have seen a lot of my bike riding reports cross posted on the other site from Two Wheeled Texans. Here are a couple examples:

Last edited:
I have done a few RR’s in the past on that other site and while it is a lot of work after the fact, I deeply appreciate those who do it while they are on their trip… My recent foray with GoPro has at least resulted in some great photos and with more time and experience I’m sure I’ll come up with something in the future… maybe…. 🤣

I'm in Maine for a couple of months working and my boss has offered me a Triumph Tiger to ride while I'm here. Here's seeing if I can get in a good enough spin for a little RR.

I'm in Maine for a couple of months working and my boss has offered me a Triumph Tiger to ride while I'm here. Here's seeing if I can get in a good enough spin for a little RR.
I lived in Bath for four years. Where will you be working?

I actually like doing "ride" reports, even though they are more like stop reports. They let me document travels for family to see, friends to see, and for me to re-read reliving the ride kind of like look at a photo album.
I like doing them as well. I do ride reports for some of the same reasons as you do. Back before I started doing ride reports I would get back from a trip and suffer from a bit of post ride depression. The trip was over and now I had to resume real life:( Now I get back and I'm excited to go through all the pics I took and start putting together my report. Although I occasionally share the report with family and friends I mainly share it with my riding and forum friends. I sometimes go back and look at my reports from years in the past. I now remember my old rides much better than the ones I did before ride reports.

Top Bottom Back Refresh