What's new

The Beta Thread

I think my main problem with it is that it does not boil over. Installing Evans is like installing a fuse that is too big for a circuit. If the bike is boiling over, it is an indication that something needs attention, it is a great indication too, you get visual steam, you get the sweet coolant smell, and sometimes you can hear it boiling in the radiator.
There are heat transfer issues too. Part of the goal is a fluid that will suck up as much heat as possible and expel it through the radiator fins.
Rick will be by shortly to post counter points.

My main counterpoint is that you're wrong. :beer
But that's ok. Some people like riding around in clouds of boiling coolant vapor...
Who am I to judge.:dunno

So I have my second Beta 300 Super Smooth showing up in April I have been told and that is my favorite size Beta .It also will double as my enduro / Trail / all around dirt bike .
I have a second set of wheels so now I just have to figure out what the best enduro tires will be . I also have the seat / tank combo to give me a bit of rest and distance to ride with enduro guys .
I have had a few 200 and they are a sweet bike for my riding style but I am getting a Vertigo 200 this year and that is a true 225cc bike I am sure more than a few guys will want to test out both of these sweet machines !

So I have my second Beta 300 Super Smooth showing up in April I have been told and that is my favorite size Beta .It also will double as my enduro / Trail / all around dirt bike .
I have a second set of wheels so now I just have to figure out what the best enduro tires will be . I also have the seat / tank combo to give me a bit of rest and distance to ride with enduro guys .
I have had a few 200 and they are a sweet bike for my riding style but I am getting a Vertigo 200 this year and that is a true 225cc bike I am sure more than a few guys will want to test out both of these sweet machines !

I've heard good things about those SuperSmooth bikes. Heavier flywheel and slower throttle right?
They seem to be popular with the guys around here who also ride vintage.

On the rear, getting an enduro tire to stay seated can be difficult. I know of a couple guys who run enduro tires because they only trail ride. They had to install tubliss on their bikes.

80 is enough for Expert, so we probably only need like 20 ccs for INT

edit, not sure the link works, but its the STRA public page, Ray Peters doing expert sections on a beetah 80.
The link worked for me. That poor little engine was screamin!

I have been blessed to own every size bike currently made and the Super Smooth helps my riding .It has the big bike power on big hillclimbs it is easy to get through sections because it is tame like a 200 unless you throttle it .
I also feel it has the best power for trail riding and the seat tank combo helps with that task . I have also built up a parts cache including a set of wheels with rotors and sprockets and small items .
When I bought a 300 GG from Stu he did the. flywheel and gearing but I just felt the bike wasn't rite even though it should have been like the Super Smooth . So for me I think this is a bike that I will keep for awhile if it only had electric start !
Also since I plan on keeping it for awhile I plan on putting every conceivable body cover on it that I can . There is one size bike I didn't own an 80cc but other than that this will be a great bike .

Jumping in on the coolant discussion,
I am a big fan of “Water Wetter” and distilled water.
I did have a problem on my KTM once though where the radiator froze solid transporting the bike to a ridding area in an open truck bed.
Not sure about the other types, but turns out “Water Wetter” has no antifreeze qualities.

So has anyone had a set of dedicated wheels for enduro tires for a Super Smooth I do have them and now I have to figure out what the best enduro tires will be for trail riding .
If anyone has experience with this what did you find worked the best ?

So has anyone had a set of dedicated wheels for enduro tires for a Super Smooth I do have them and now I have to figure out what the best enduro tires will be for trail riding .
If anyone has experience with this what did you find worked the best ?

Maxxis Trail Maxx, they are a trials pattern but about twice the spacing between knobs.

I read in the manual that the stock spring on my Evo 200 is 70N/mm. When looking at the Beta USA site is this equivalent to a 7 Kg spring? So if I'm reading the chart correctly my bike is sprung for someone 130 - 150 lbs.

200.gif

I was thinking at my 200lb weight that I was in between springs, but it looks like I'm right on the money with a 7.6 Kg spring.

I read in the manual that the stock spring on my Evo 200 is 70N/mm. When looking at the Beta USA site is this equivalent to a 7 Kg spring? So if I'm reading the chart correctly my bike is sprung for someone 130 - 150 lbs.

200.gif

I was thinking at my 200lb weight that I was in between springs, but it looks like I'm right on the money with a 7.6 Kg spring.

Make sure you balance the front and rear springs, just replacing a rear could make the bike turn weird.

Make sure you balance the front and rear springs, just replacing a rear could make the bike turn weird.
Now I'm really confused. On this site, re-spring recommendations vary wildly...

A) stock springs are good for any weight, no need to change (for new trials riders, slow, etc)
B) only change the rear spring, it's Ok if the front is undersprung
C) change Both Springs to match rider weight

Just curious as to why the ADVbikes Trails Ambassadors have such drastically different opinions on springs ...

Have to agree with Yinzer Moto , Change Both. :photog
the CRF is sprung for 290# and it make the bike compliant and smooth.

Now I'm really confused. On this site, re-spring recommendations vary wildly...

A) stock springs are good for any weight, no need to change (for new trials riders, slow, etc)
B) only change the rear spring, it's Ok if the front is undersprung
C) change Both Springs to match rider weight

Just curious as to why the ADVbikes Trails Ambassadors have such drastically different opinions on springs ...

Have to agree with Yinzer Moto , Change Both. :photog
the CRF is sprung for 290# and it make the bike compliant and smooth.

Yes, lots of opinions on this. At your weight, pushing 300#, you definitely need to respring. Springs are not as critical on trials bike, you can be out of range a bit and it is ok, as long as the suspension moves in a balanced manner. You are twice the weight of what a normal bike is sprung for, so some adjustments will be needed. You can look at my YouTube for a video on suspension setup and what I mean by “a balanced manner “.

Reactions: MVI
Yes, lots of opinions on this. At your weight, pushing 300#, you definitely need to respring. Springs are not as critical on trials bike, you can be out of range a bit and it is ok, as long as the suspension moves in a balanced manner. You are twice the weight of what a normal bike is sprung for, so some adjustments will be needed. You can look at my YouTube for a video on suspension setup and what I mean by “a balanced manner “.
"A balanced manner" ......C'mon man, don't do stuff like that so early in the morning...:jack

Top Bottom Back Refresh