What's new

The General Motorcycle & Riding MEGA-Thread!

Most shift levers (13156) on Japanese bikes are made of "mild" steel and are by design softer to bend/wear. The shift shaft (13161) is , again by design, hardened. This allows the shift lever to bend in a fall. Saving the shift shaft from bending/breaking.

Enough techno-babble, I've clamped the shift lever in a vise firmly then run a thin cut off wheel on a 5" angle grinder in the slot. A new bolt and Bob's your uncle !

😎
Awesome info. Thanks. I have a mangled one as proof. :D

You know my uncle Bob? :lol2

True, but a 5mm longer bolt allows you to put a lock nut on top....

As side note, most " bling" shift levers are to hard/stiff. The energy from a fall or catch on a root will be transferred to the shift shaft !!

DAMHIK......

🙄
I didn’t take a lock nut but I did take a extra bolt and shifter when I went on the long trail ride a few years ago. I bought a cheap Tusk shifter since it was cheap and light. I think it's made out of recycled Burmese soda cans so it's probably pretty pliable.

Only by reputation.....

Wasn't he married to your Aunt Fannie ?

🙄
:lol2:lol2

Bob is married to my Aunt Helga. I've posted about her here before... she's the one with the crazy sense of fashion.

Here's Aunt Helga from Christmas a few years back:
Aunt-Helga.jpg

I didn’t take a lock nut but I did take a extra bolt and shifter when I went on the long trail ride a few years ago. I bought a cheap Tusk shifter since it was cheap and light. I think it's made out of recycled Burmese soda cans so it's probably pretty pliable.
Burmese soda cans are premium ! It's the Chinese-ium you gotta be watching for !!
It's made from old Pontiacs !!!
😎

:lol2:lol2

Bob is married to my Aunt Helga. I've posted about her here before... she's the one with the crazy sense of fashion.

Here's Aunt Helga from Christmas a few years back:
Aunt-Helga.jpg
Just in case anyone is wondering, that's not my aunt... it's a joke. :lol3

The punch line is: If you think that dress is crazy you should've seen her shoes... they were nuts! :D

Thanks for the help fellas. I got the shifter fixed up and tight as a drum. 👍

I don't have a file thin enough so I used sand paper to remove a little material from the slot.

Here’s the original mangled shift lever on the right. That’s after hammering it back into shape the best I could so I could at least ride until I got the replacement.
IMG_6839.jpeg

No dual swamp bikes. So we 2up the swamp on the dub.

Plenty of foot dabs.
20240331_162234.jpg

This is not proper foot attire..but she looks cute
20240331_162108.jpg

20240331_162744.jpg
The best part of 2up riding is seeing how the bike will handle loaded with camping gear solo. I have been ripping through here. But a 100% no fall scenario..Idle through 1st and 2nd like a tractor.

I checked my strom voltage. It was 12.97 at idle and 14.99 at 4k rpm. I think I will charge the battery. Then clean the connectors and ground on the regulator.. I think a new rectifier might be needed. I checked a year ago and it was 14.4 at idle.

Top Bottom Back Refresh