What's new

The Security thread.

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
I think its an important enough aspect of bike/ car / truck/ shop/ home/ farm ,,life to warrant its very own thread.
Please share any aspect of security both Technical Alarms an d cameras etc or Locks chains bars or hinges cabinets or other ideas both physical electronic and even visual deterrents that help keep our stuff out of the thieving hands of the filthy scum that would steal it from us given the chance.
So share ideas be they a rottweiler Akita or big thick hard chain or the latest electronics gizmos designed to protect our hard earned stuff.

I believe in security through obscurity. This could be anything from older operating systems to hidden reed switches. Nodody thinks to swipe a magnet past something to unlock something. Or hidden set scews. But being crazy as hell and letting enough people know might not hurt either. Like mulching your yard at 3am. Or lopping off tree branches with a sharpened shovel like a samurai warrior. Then you can build a scrarecrow of yourself with a shovel to leave out at night. Kinda hammers home the bat shit crazy part.. got a alot more after living next to meth heads in the north.

No one stole my 2004 KTM 400EXE with the RFS motor. It never had a key.

Ive since sold it and got the new 2019 CRF450L, with a key. No one has stole that either.

Some southwestern guy turned me onto this chain, on sale, so I Bought it. I've NEVER used it though. Maybe if I need to overnight in Albuquerque, then I will chain the bike to my hitch on the carrier

1681561827123.png

chain it too heavy to ride with

I have cut off least 20x more locks at work than I have sold. Kinda annoying. I flooded new locks with corrosionX. Most customers didnt want locks after their lock siezed. Real pain when the pin locks sieze in a solid ball mount. And the ball mount siezed in the hitch reciever. Takes a cutting torch and a rosebud tip with big hammers. We made good money from security device failures. The locks worked!

I solve all my lock problems with this
Screenshot_20230415-092731.png

Locksmith turned me into it a decade ago

I have security cameras and an alarm system at home, and both an attached and a detached garage. All my vehicles are always inside so no one can tell if I'm home or not. When I'm out with my 450 I never leave it out of my sight except the occasional trip into the convenience store at the Sunday morning bike hangout, but the bike and my gear are surrounded by friends and acquaintances like when you're at an event like Barber Vintage Festival and everyone is pretty trustworthy. When we go to the mountains we stay in a cabin that is practically invisible from the road so when the bike is there while we're out in the truck I feel comfortable it won't get messed with. But I do have cables and case-hardened locks if I ever felt the need to add something to the mix.

Owning cheap bikes is my nr. 1 theft prevention.
"Parking" out of sight is second. When staying in hotels I ask for safe place to "park".
I've also put one of those remote activated battery powered sirens with motion sensor built in. (two for 30 bucks.)
I almost never use the large chains and locks.
In my electric bicycle I have hidden an Air-tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVI
I am security conscious but never invested in a big shining alarm, i tend to keep stuff simple and look at ways of storing stuff that would take time to steal it to slow the criminals down and make noise doing it.
For me the cordless grinder is a horror story for our task of keeping things safe.
Containers were kind of ok for secure storage and yet come the cordless grinder and they slice them open like canned fruit.
Cables or chains are best covered in heavy rubber hose at least the smoke will slow them down a bit you cant cut when your eyes are streaming from burning rubber.
And re the old shipping container line them out with 34 ply and not only insulate and slow condensation the ply smokes like crazy when the grinder hits it and cutting with saw blade in a grinder is slow and if you try smashing it with a hammer it survives very well.
Brick of block buildings, ? If you are not too fussed about the looks, or if you like the look anyway, render with concrete the bottom 6 or 8 foot of a building wall, it stops thieves getting straight to the mortar joints and the rendering needs clearing off if its a strong mix it will take more time and make more noise.
If they get to bricks pick about a pry bar and leaver out the wall they can have a man/ bike size hole in it in under a half hour, i have seen such activity myself when a mate got hit, they nearly got the bike what saved the day was a 12 year old english springer spaniel who eventually woke up and barked.
The police home security bloke who came out after the raid advised the 3/4 inch plywood lining idea, if its firmly in place it takes some getting through and picking out bricks only to find a thick ply lining might just put of all but the most determined, and again it will slow them down.

I have security cameras and an alarm system at home, and both an attached and a detached garage. All my vehicles are always inside so no one can tell if I'm home or not. When I'm out with my 450 I never leave it out of my sight except the occasional trip into the convenience store at the Sunday morning bike hangout, but the bike and my gear are surrounded by friends and acquaintances like when you're at an event like Barber Vintage Festival and everyone is pretty trustworthy. When we go to the mountains we stay in a cabin that is practically invisible from the road so when the bike is there while we're out in the truck I feel comfortable it won't get messed with. But I do have cables and case-hardened locks if I ever felt the need to add something to the mix.
Keeping good friends around and hanging out with good people is very sound logic. Most motorcycle enthusiast look out for each other. I think this is one thing I hope we can all agree about. And the crazy friend can do the enforcement.

The small town I live in acts like this. But even with cameras and big time defensive tacticals..there was a string of events two years ago. It ended up in capturing the criminals In a wild chase. Some of the dog hunters are leos. And everyone has a radio and cell phone. The problem I think was a dog box on a truck is a dead give away to a big gun stash. So the criminals stalked the scenarios. The dog cage was a big advertisement. Plus the service industry has major leaks. Like home health care or any other home service scouts and sells the info.

Hence being crazy as a loon to anyone that dares.

I live out in the boonies. That in of itself keeps a lot of the city rats away. Sometimes I loose the keys to my rusty Jeep that sits in the driveway, just to find the keys have been sitting in the ignition for the past month... oops.

My wife and I moved into our home more than 10 years ago. At the time we did not have a home alarm. An ADT salesman knocks on the door one day to try and sell us an alarm. We meet with him on the front porch and tell him we will reach out within the week if we want to proceed. A few days later the same salesman shows back up, we are home with the house opened up but but on the back deck. The dog starts barking and we look through the house to the front door. The ADT salesman is opening up the screen door hollering for us and starting to come inside. Needless to say, he sold an alarm system that day...but he did not make the sale. Had the local company come out and do the install the next week.

I have added google cameras with 24/7 recording that cover entrances to the home and detached shop. I even have one camera on the chicken coop. I am not sure why I even bothered with cameras, other than to spy on the cat or chickens while I am at work. The thieves will probably arrive in a stolen vehicle and be masked up if they end up at my place :dunno

RING Floodlight Cameras , we have them at all the doors and shop. Nice that I can turn lights/siren on as will with wifi

Top Bottom Back Refresh