What's new

Tractors - Subs/Compact/Utility

John Deere has their own proprietary quick attach system (JDQA), but you can get an adapter plate that converts JDQA to SSQA. The downside is the weight of that adapter reduces your lifting capacity.
ah. yea, I'm on an L series Kubota.

I haven't seen a post hole digger that required down pressure from the 3 pt hitch. They tend to feed themselves and the issue is usually trying to keep them from winding themselves in to the dirt and becoming lodged 😁 Jump em up every six inches or so to keep the hole cleared out. If the ground is too hard for the screw to start I don't know if the gearbox will take a lot of that.

I haven't seen a post hole digger that required down pressure from the 3 pt hitch. They tend to feed themselves and the issue is usually trying to keep them from winding themselves in to the dirt and becoming lodged 😁 Jump em up every six inches or so to keep the hole cleared out. If the ground is too hard for the screw to start I don't know if the gearbox will take a lot of that.

Yeah that is my experience as well. I'll take the 3 pt. over a 2-man any day. I found it much more precise in locating the hole exactly where you want it, and straight up and down instead of at an angle.

Does Kubota use standard SSQA or Proprietary ?
Not sure. Mine is a 2001, bought it a few years back, and it came with the Casco setup that I'm not too fond of.

I think Deere is the only one using a non-std quick attach.

Yeah, for most use cases, the post-hole digger will be fine, more so in the fine soft soil of the midwest. Not so much up in rocky New England.

I live in rocks , I have used another tractor FEL to push down on the post hole auger many times.

My tractor buying advice is..... get a bigger ,higher HP tractor than you think you'll ever need.

A man can do a little job with a big tractor , It's harder to do a big job with a little tractor.

You won't use a post hole digger in Newfoundland!

Looks Efforty

1672933270983.png

I live in rocks , I have used another tractor FEL to push down on the post hole auger many times.

My tractor buying advice is..... get a bigger ,higher HP tractor than you think you'll ever need.

A man can do a little job with a big tractor , It's harder to do a big job with a little tractor.
Well, our post hole digger is homemade from a truck axle. Maybe we got lucky and nailed the screw starting geometry 😁

More power, especially hydraulic power, is always nice. My buddy with the 100hp Massey likes borrowing the little TC30 when he has to get up in the woods to work. Being able to fit in tight spaces has been useful more times it's been a burden. But if you really need strong hydraulics and maneuverability you can't beat a skid steer. They can fling logs around like tooth picks where tractors will be trying to tip over. They just tear up the ground so bad.

Good advice so far. I bought my Kubota B2650 new in '18 and the only things I can add are to get one with a mid pto because it keeps options like a belly mower or a front snow blower open. The other thing is that engines above 25hp have the regen cycle with DEF fluid and that adds cost and unnecessary complexity IMO.

I only have 25hp but I always seem to run out of traction before I run out of power. Here's mine set up for winter work.
1673790732914.png

A grapple is really handy when working in the woods but requires a third function hydraulic valve.
1673790943323.png

Light weight tractors always seem run out of traction in the sand here in Central FL. I ended up buying a Kubota M6800, 7k +lbs Small end of utility ttactors.

Reactions: MVI
Small end of the spectrum ... stock photo

KUBOTA M6800SDC​

1673798787733.png

No cab on mine. Bush hog loader that is slow as molasses. Extra granny low range as it was used for manual planting.

Size does matter!

I really love my John Deere 1025R TLB. I've had it for about 4 years now, and don't know how I got along so many years without one. For implements, I have the following (all 3-pt hitch implements):

• CountyLine 5' brush cutter
  • CountyLine post hole digger w/9" auger
  • Mighty Mac Hammermill Shredder Chipper
Plus the backhoe that came with the tractor.

The backhoe has seen the least use of all the implements, and spends a lot of time just sitting on a dolly in the garage. I have used it a few times to dig a trench or ditch, and have used it to pull myself out of the mud a few times when I managed to get the tractor stuck. It is good for digging up small stumps. And it is very useful as counterweight when doing heavy lifting with the front end loader. I have gotten very good at putting it on and taking it off the tractor - much faster than hooking up any of the PTO driven implements. I can take it off in about 2 minutes, and put it back on in about 5 minutes. Having a dolly for it is hugely helpful. Comparing that to the 3-pt implements, it takes me more like 20-30 minutes to switch those out.

No regrets - I bought my tractor as a brand new leftover 2017 model in early 2019, with full warranty, and got such a good deal on it that basically the backhoe was free. Paid $18K for it ($20.5K with beet juice filled tires, delivery to my house and 9.5% sales tax), and could probably sell it today for what I paid for it.

20190321_153953.jpg

20200113_080752.jpg
I remember following your tractor purchase on the CUT thread on the other site. We bought our tractors at around the same time, how many hours have you accumulated?

I remember following your tractor purchase on the CUT thread on the other site. We bought our tractors at around the same time, how many hours have you accumulated?

Getting up close to 200 hours. Running the chipper racks them up...

I am considering a SCUT as I think one would greatly improve efficiency around the house and garden. We are on 5 hilly acers and currently own a JD lawn mower ('86 160) and a JC lawn tractor ('72 H3 140). Additionally, I probably have 1000 hours of experience on various 3/4000 series CUTs at the family farm. I know from experience those would be too big for my home property.

I'd like a FEL with grapple to work an ever growing compost heap, move garden soil, move snow and haul 4-12' trunks to the splitter. A tiller attachment that can handle hard soil with a high clay content would be nice too. The old 140 has a tiller attachment, but the poor lawn tractor gets bounced around like crazy when attempting to expand the expanding garden into more of the hard soil. Ideally a mower deck that could replace the 160 mower entirely would be a huge benefit due to available storage space. I don't have a manicured lawn, but do have to keep the crabgrass mowed. Additionally I have 2 acres of native bluestem that needs mowed annually if I don't happen to get it burned at the first of April. Burning is a challenge since the wind and conditions have to be perfect since its close to the house. This native grass pushes the 160 and 140 beyond their limits.

I have looked into the 4wd X5/700 series lawn tractors, but for the the price you are in SCUT territory. Since I am surrounded by JD dealers, I tend to gravitate toward the more spendy green machines. For those with experience with the 1025R, does it sound like that tractor would be plenty for what I want?

Top Bottom Back Refresh