What's new

U TURN Talk!

matty

Border raider.
Member Number
U Turns tight turns up hill turns downhill turns, All basic skills which are part of all motorcycle riding and often broadly overlooked dare i say ignored by some riders.

I apologize right from the start for saying this "AGAIN" but feel i need to point it out, I am of the opinion that Trials riding is the core for all motorcycle riding, its the basic tools needed for the job its not the only route by any means but its a good one and one i stemmed from and continue to aspire to.

U TURNS, Can be approached to varying degrees of success or failure down to skill level, technique , and Motorcycle size and set up although the later can be dialed out of the equation to some extent by refining the other factors .

Practice makes perfect. The day we stop learning is the day we stop living. The old adages but true, time on the bike any bike pays dividends and we can all of us regardless of age ability or experience gain a lot from practicing.. A LOT!.

We are all going to be at different places on the learning curve of the U turn, this will depend on how much it cropped up or was peceved to be a problem or intreaguing riding aspect worthy of further investigation or not. Many could have ridden years millions of miles and just got around this without much thought or ever seeing a need to develop or improve the technique.

Controlling a bike at slow speeds in U turns tight turns ETC can prove some of the most challenging for us al, and i dare say we can recount incidents where we got it wrong turning in tight circumstances and we nearly dropped the bike or even did drop it, I remember loosing my XS1100 in a U turn in a works yard and it was just poor control i got it wrong i was to blame not the 600+lb monster that was a known quantity i simply failed to address properly and broke a mirror and thankfully nothing else.

I will now post a video my daughter found when looking to improve her U turns on her DRZ400, i though it was interesting and a good souse for some background info and talking points.
Please share your thought and Experiences of U turns and any technical aspects you want to discuss or ask questions on .

I enjoy practicing these types of slow speed skills. It’s much tougher than I expected when I first started trying. I’ve found these slow maneuvers help me to be an all around safer and more confident rider.

I’ll shamefully admit too that I enjoy showing off a bit in front of other riders by not paddling or dabbing as I slowly pull up to park. :D

I enjoy practicing these types of slow speed skills. It’s much tougher than I expected when I first started trying. I’ve found these slow maneuvers help me to be an all around safer and more confident rider.

I’ll shamefully admit too that I enjoy showing off a bit in front of other riders by not paddling or dabbing as I slowly pull up to park. :D
I enjoy steering lock u turns. But showing off was deploying the kickstand and coming to a rest without dabbing a foot.

An important aspect of all riding is the discipline static balance, practice it and learn what works for you and feel your way about until it becomes second nature. It might come more or less instantly, but it might not too, could be complete control evades you , this might be just you or the mass of the bike is such that the instability you are not able to counter prompts you to over compensate and this can initially feel to have tamed the balance it leads to the need to more and more reaction generally in the early stages with the inevitable step off.
Try one leg straight the knee tight against the frame or tank and the other knee cranked, might be a good first place to start, it really just about feeling your way about , make it work then branch out from there it will soon become clear if you can keep it balanced with absolute minimum input the less out of shape you get.
Its a thing you can do in the workshop and by all means feel the balance pushing off the wall then let go and concentrate holding balance.
Its about maintaining low speed balance stability when stopping and remaining stationary or very little forward momentum exists .
Incidentally drawing to a stop and keeping your feet up even if you are wrestling with the bars to keep it up at first will be easier to tame if your static balance is perfected.
All adds control which helps everything including U Turns. Its just a easy practice any weather.

I wonder how a heavy flhtc or the cop flhtr ride that good. Harley touring models have a a flat spot on bumper stops..on certain models. Since there is only friction....the stops have to be indexed occasionally. But the shrine/police touring bikes uturn on a dime for 900lbs.

An important aspect of all riding is the discipline static balance
Very true. Back in '21 on my second time riding trails I dumped my bike on it's left side. I was going down hill in a trough and approaching an intersection and seemingly out of nowhere just pitched over. It wasn't until I started working on slow speed control and balance that I finally figured out what happened. I lifted my right foot off the peg to reach the brake and inadvertently shifted the balance to the left.

It might come more or less instantly
It certainly hasn't for me but I've gotten better with practice!

It certainly hasn't for me but I've gotten better with practice!
I did say it might not come too, :lol2
sounds like you are getting it now, but for anyone who simply isnt, i would expect by say 20 mins (about how long i ever practice in one S/ B session) you should have started to get it, kind of Right im Free i got this, hang on no i havent and step off, To Right relax only slight regaining input quieten it down .. its There, But OH no its getting out of shape Step off. :lol2
As daft as that might sound its how it kind of pans out, By session 2 you are probably going to start poor but probably half way you should be feeling thing happen and starting to work out foot pressure knee flick or kick out are needed to save the day. Concentrate ... you cant be thinking about waterfowl hunting or the state of the union or those ample assets on the girl at the check out in morrisons. Just balance, move with it feel the point feel the force:lol2 whatever, Just concentrate. Its like the light just switches on and you got it.
I kind of only a year or so ago revisited all th i had too having a stroke forced this, i was not even sure i could ever walk again never ride a bike weak right side not feeling agile, i was very uncertain. If i slotted back into this anybody can its just like i say just do it its worth it. is,

After being sick and then recovering from surgery for most of October I haven’t spent any time working on parking lot skills. This thread reminds me to get back to it. 👍

My U turn skills are pretty good from the Gymkhanna riding I have done. I practice pretty often. A lot of my U turn practice comes from missing a turn out on country roads and having to do a u turn, often on very narrow roads.

My U turn skills are pretty good from the Gymkhanna riding I have done. I practice pretty often. A lot of my U turn practice comes from missing a turn out on country roads and having to do a u turn, often on very narrow roads.
I’m sure the Gymkanna riding has really made you a safer rider! We’ve talked about pushing the limits in a safe environment and having the confidence and skill “out in the wild”.

I’m glad I’ve worked on the U turns because I sure miss a lot of turns. :lol2

Parking lot skills are part of my spring training. Weather here cause's me to sit out winter for about 5 months allowing me to get rusty. Solution is a good long sunday morning session in April doing u turns, quick stops, and other exercises to get those skills back up to par before the riding season begins in earnest.

The spot I park my bike in leaves me with no option other than to do a u-turn to get on my way. I plan on riding throughout the winter as long as there isn't any of that ice or snowy crap on the roadways. My commute to and from work is barely 7 miles altogether.

The spot I park my bike in leaves me with no option other than to do a u-turn to get on my way. I plan on riding throughout the winter as long as there isn't any of that ice or snowy crap on the roadways. My commute to and from work is barely 7 miles altogether.
My commute is 7.5 miles. It’s nice to be close to work for a variety of reasons but largely because it makes riding more realistic when the weather isn’t the best

Have you ridden in past winters? I’ve been working on refining my setup to extend the season as much as possible. 👍

I sometimes do one handed u turns on the big bikes. I don't really focus on anything. I just do it for fun or to reposition my pants...which requires standing and riding one handed! Usually leaving in the job yard with rocks and sticks everywhere.

My commute is 7.5 miles. It’s nice to be close to work for a variety of reasons but largely because it makes riding more realistic when the weather isn’t the best

Have you ridden in past winters? I’ve been working on refining my setup to extend the season as much as possible. 👍
No, I have not. It's due to having jumped back in the saddle late March after a hiatus from riding that lasted 20 years. I thought I was a street Hayden back then. Street Hayden I was not! :imaposer

No, I have not. It's due to having jumped back in the saddle late March after a hiatus from riding that lasted 20 years. I thought I was a street Hayden back then. Street Hayden I was not! :imaposer
Very similar to my story except it was a nearly 30 year hiatus. I tried to ride as much as I could the last two winters. It gets tough but I’m getting better at it. 👍

Top Bottom Back Refresh