What's new

Upper Michigan - Say ya' to da' UP, eh!?

Getting to the air filters is so easy on the Africa Twin...:bluduh

i-gscBHtZ-X2.jpg
:fpalm

Riding season is almost upon us. It's definitely an early spring here in da' UP! Snow is almost gone. Just need temps to climb a bit and it will be time to start riding!

If there are any other fellow Yoopers around that have not yet chimed in, please do so. We have a small group of us here in Marquette that ride together pretty much every week. Always looking for additional riders, and new areas to ride.

I know this isn't bike related, but it is a different form of "adventure riding". Back to the 4Runner topic...

Did a minor "build", turning my super clean, and very stock 4Runner into a capable trail rig. It's not 100% done, but got enough done to have a lot of fun with it during a 2 week trip to Utah.

First step was to have a local shop install a 2.5 Dobinson's suspension lift. Gotta say, it performed way better than I had hoped for. We bombed around the dunes in Hurricane, UT and the rocky trails in Moab, and it never faltered a bit. Never even bottomed out during some spirited trail riding. No pictures of the lift...

Next up was a full compliment of skid plates. These are from Victory 4X4 (in lower Michigan) and are aluminum. I know steel is stronger, but aluminum is lighter, doesn't rust, and will hold up fine for our use.

i-DrbmF8w-X2.jpg

i-hJ7vMHM-X2.jpg

Next, I built a custom drawer set for the back. One side holds a portable fridge, and the other has a storage drawer.

i-Kpvv89b-X2.jpg

i-zvNhDtP-X2.jpg

i-GfFPK3c-X2.jpg

Turned out pretty darn good. Held in place with simple turn buckles to existing tie down points in the 4Runner.

i-9ZK6Cw2-X2.jpg

I also added a shelf to hold the Eco Flow power station that keeps the fridge running. It will easily run 4+ days off the power station without recharging. I recharge it off the rear 12 volt plug when driving.

Since we will actually be using the rig on the trails, I also added a set of Cali Raised rock sliders.

i-4VvFZcx-X2.jpg

These not only look really darn cool, but they provide protection and make a great step.

i-bpPbqR9-X2.jpg

i-ttLGXKV-X2.jpg

Those were sufficient mod's to get us started on our first adventure.

I have a 12K pound Badlands winch waiting in the garage. Still need to order a bumper to mount it on, and get everything set up.

Our first "adventure".

My wife and I :shogare fans of "Matt's Offroad and Recovery" on Youtube. As you may know, they very recently held their "off road games" event, and my wife wanted to go for her birthday. So....who was I to argue that her gift would be a trip to Utah for some wheelin' fun!

We planned a week in Hurricane, UT and then another week in Moab on our way home. I'll spare you any pictures of the long, flat 4 day drive from Michigan to Utah...mainly, because I didn't take any! We took the scenic route out, going through the Black Hills, Wyoming, Colorado, and then down into Utah.

The off road games were okay, but I much prefer being a participant rather than a spectator. Gotta say, Sand Hollow area is a really cool OHV area, and I can see us going back.

Here are some pictures from the Hurricane area:

i-CPNhNvw-X2.jpg

i-FFfTSJm-X2.jpg

"Top of the world"

i-gjm8b74-X2.jpg

i-35fKMVv-X2.jpg

Some of the views during the off road games looked like a scene out of a Mad Max movie! (sorry it's a bit blurred)

i-GDrKVsD-X2.jpg

After that, it was off to Moab for a week.

The views there never disappoint. This was my third time in Moab, and I will happily go another dozen times!

i-LPLgzs5-X2.jpg

i-NLsnzcV-X2.jpg

i-bhR4x58-X2.jpg

i-5mPFrCT-X2.jpg

i-Rgfqqfq-X2.jpg

"Long Canyon"

i-RgT2kS5-X2.jpg

Actual motorcycle content today....the horror!

New, meaty rear shoes for the Africa Twin.

i-h7Rv6B2-X2.jpg

These are the new Tusk 2 Tracks. I normally run a Motoz Tractionator Adventure, but I'm also cheap, and couldn't pass up giving these a try.

A lot narrower than the Motoz. I hope that's not an issue.

i-gFBCXpx-X2.jpg

I have seen horror stories about mounting these, and although they definitely are a stiff tire, I didn't have any issues using a bit of lube and tire irons.

Definitely got my money's worth out of the rear pads!

i-DVWPLZV-X2.jpg

:shog

Back home from Tennessee. Weather down that way is full on summer, while up here, the trees are barely starting to bud. At least I won't have to mow the grass for another month.

Trip was going quite well, until the last day of riding. We were just taking in the beautiful Georgia mountain scenery when one of my riding partners folded the front end in a steep, left hand, switch back. Speed was maybe 15 mph, but it was a hard hit.

I didn't see the crash, but heard it on my Cardo. Knocked the wind out of him, and did serious damage to his left shoulder, ribs, and hip. Nothing but rock to land on. The sounds of agony over the headset made my stomach churn and my heart race.

His GS was totally upside down, but thankfully not on him. He was initially lying head down on the steep slope and having trouble breathing (had a very recent bout of asthma). We didn't want to move him, until we ascertained if he had any spinal injuries or broken bones.

Once we determined he was ok to move a bit, we got his feet swung below him. That instantly improved his breathing. After resting a bit and taking stock, we were able to get him back on his feet.

We then faced a 15 mile ride down the mountain and 25 miles back to our cabin. He stated he was willing to give it a go, so we righted the big GS, and helped him get in the saddle. It was a long, slow, and painful ride back to the cabin....

We tried to convince him to go directly to the local walk in clinic, but he didn't want to. Can't say I blame him....I did the same thing after an off that I had that. We are men after all, and only go to the hospital if bone is sticking out, or we can't get the bleeding to stop.

Now we were faced with the challenge of how to get an injured rider and his bike back the 1,000 miles home. We were leaving the very next day.

After determining that nothing was seriously broken, other than probably a few ribs, he made the decision to ride home. We said we would assess as we go, and could always stop at a hotel, and arrange other transport.

So.... Friday we rode a quick 600 miles, and today, finished the remaining 400. Yesterday's ride was okay, but he was really feeling the miles today. Getting on the bike was tough this morning.

Made it home around 4:30 this afternoon.

The next time you are thinking about not doing something because it's "too hard", or maybe a bit uncomfortable, think about riding 1,000 miles in two days with busted ribs and a banged up body.

Wishing Allen a quick and speedy recovery!

Actual motorcycle content today....the horror!

New, meaty rear shoes for the Africa Twin.

i-h7Rv6B2-X2.jpg

These are the new Tusk 2 Tracks. I normally run a Motoz Tractionator Adventure, but I'm also cheap, and couldn't pass up giving these a try.

A lot narrower than the Motoz. I hope that's not an issue.

i-gFBCXpx-X2.jpg

I have seen horror stories about mounting these, and although they definitely are a stiff tire, I didn't have any issues using a bit of lube and tire irons.

Definitely got my money's worth out of the rear pads!

i-DVWPLZV-X2.jpg

:shog
FYI

The next time you are thinking about not doing something because it's "too hard", or maybe a bit uncomfortable, think about riding 1,000 miles in two days with busted ribs and a banged up body.
I'm glad that your friend wasn't more seriously injured. It soundsl ike he was lucky to have some good riding partners with him. Nice work. 👍

"Too hard" and ""uncomfortable" certainly are relative. Allen is one tough man. I hope he has a quick and full recovery.

I try to buy local when possible but RMATV is definitely my number two. They have provided me with flawless service so far. I have to say though that I'm very disappointed to see that they don't have a notice posted on the product page for that tire. They simply marked it as "Sold Out". According to that NHTSA link they are expected to have the owner notification letters mailed out mid next month. Why not post it on the product page too? It could keep someone from getting hurt.

Top Bottom Back Refresh