What's new

21 year old BMW K1200RS gets a new lease on life.

JimVonBaden

Kool Aid!
Member Number
Picked this up from George at Gridlock Motors. It is in decent shape, but has sat for a few years.

George rode it down his driveway so I know it runs and moves. The brakes are useless without the servo, and it has some cosmetic damage that need attending to. I suspect I will do a refresh, fox or eliminate the ABS, and a full service on it. Should be interesting.

aQpfI1.jpg
z6hljj.jpg
cjSV0J.jpg
BPLTBY.jpg
nmgb6t.jpg
wDOgke.jpg
nBEdsm.jpg
gynLap.jpg
VMyN6m.jpg

Some serious rust, but only on the stands. Maybe it was parked in dirt.
vZJis6.jpg

George built this from scraps. The only thing he had to buy was the petcock. He has over 1000 miles on it since he built it.
CFfjqe.jpg

I just missed a 2003 K1200GT recently, I'll be following. I believe it and the RS are the same bike with different bars and pegs but not sure.

Picked it up today from George.
gg6I2p.jpg

He threw in a NOS instrument cover. The PO had a brake fluid leak that went all over it and the windscreen.
oiypGJ.jpg
olnQpq.jpg
ijebaf.jpg

V-Technic Screen and main fairing stay for mounts.
kTrLnl.jpg
8HChy8.jpg
bsCR56.jpg

Also a spare seat to practice my seat covering.
kTrLnl.jpg

I also ordered a battery for it, and am looking for a set of factory panniers, and condition.

I started the bike today, just got back from a work trip and the battery came in. Runs great, but the ABS runs all the time. That said, the brakes work and the servos are activated when the brake is pressed and the lever pulled, so I am gaining confidence that it is fixable.

Started whole, ended naked.

fYdYma.jpg
ulWi0c.jpg
ero6oj.jpg
FOYmZD.jpg
UdgP4D.jpg

The oil plater cover is leaking pretty badly.
2NPjB1.jpg
pj3BCB.jpg
hBsq7k.jpg
o1s9gP.jpg
AJTyH8.jpg

Rusty center and sidestand:
u4jb6n.jpg
rRRQtQ.jpg

Tried my hand at plastic repair. It came out decent and strong:
lKRUKR.jpg
w06kSi.jpg
0smjJq.jpg
m3PueM.jpg
RokkOR.jpg
DdUZr4.jpg

I started the bike today, just got back from a work trip and the battery came in. Runs great, but the ABS runs all the time. That said, the brakes work and the servos are activated when the brake is pressed and the lever pulled, so I am gaining confidence that it is fixable.

Started whole, ended naked.

fYdYma.jpg
ulWi0c.jpg
ero6oj.jpg
FOYmZD.jpg
UdgP4D.jpg

The oil plate cover is leaking pretty badly.
2NPjB1.jpg
pj3BCB.jpg
hBsq7k.jpg
o1s9gP.jpg
AJTyH8.jpg

Rusty center and sidestand:
u4jb6n.jpg
rRRQtQ.jpg

Tried my hand at plastic repair. It came out decent and strong:
lKRUKR.jpg
w06kSi.jpg
0smjJq.jpg
m3PueM.jpg
RokkOR.jpg
DdUZr4.jpg

Lower mount too. I found out that I couldn't stitch through epaxy, so I had to grind it off first.

CWfozZ.jpg
J0lCne.jpg
lR8aX0.jpg

I replaced the faceplate for the instruments. It had brake fluid damage:
G3kJHq.jpg
L19DEd.jpg

Then cleaned up the parts:
AsiU6e.jpg
2kRqg6.jpg
eEBLO8.jpg
DKgVRB.jpg

Check out how much gravel is in the bottom tupperware:
zHz7qt.jpg
Looks like asphalt.

That is the easy stuff. The ABS repair may prove harder. I also need to find the right color paint. Mostly this is a bike in good shape.

Judging from some of your past projects, it's going to be a very happy bike.

That is the easy stuff. The ABS repair may prove harder. I also need to find the right color paint. Mostly this is a bike in good shape.

Thanks,
You’re welcome 👍 Those early ABS systems are a love/hate relationship. Most of the problems came from not flushing the system on an annual basis. Moisture was the main culprit for malfunctioning systems. Living in a humid area I flush the brakes on all my vehicles once a year as it is cheaper to spend a few $$ on a bottle of brake fluid then buying a new ABS unit

Spent a few minutes rekeying the panniers and removing the lids for future paint.

Key in, locked pannier, and push in the tab to release the locking tab and pull the tumbler out:
WSIdCx.jpg
dZmvTb.jpg
a67Jdn.jpg

Original key in and you can see all the pins are pulled in except the locking tab.

rRPOAF.jpg
44IT5S.jpg
hXvcWY.jpg
nQ8bjd.jpg

Pull out the key and all the tabs extend:
Fw59NC.jpg

Here is with the new key and old tabs:
j8EWCd.jpg
Note how none of them are flush.

Now remove each key tab and lay it in position where it came out, not critical, but you want to make sure you do not accidentally remove the spring too. Wipe them off to see the numbers on them.

kxctyU.jpg

Now the tedious part, sort of. Insert the new key while one at a time installing the key tabs until you can match as many as possible with what you have. I managed 4 matching, three is enough. Matching means the tabs do not stick out either side and are perfectly flush.

Keep a record of the positions and numbers for the other pannier.
hhgmOU.jpg

When done, all the tabs should be flush on both side except the retaining tab at the end.
2zy93x.jpg

Make sure you remove the extra springs to prevent binding.
nAbHaZ.jpg

Lube the tumbler and key tabs. This makes for smooth movement, and helps retain the tabs during installation.
gVMgTa.jpg

With the key in, push the tumbler in while twisting. The retaining tab will retract allowing the tumbler to be installed and locked in place.

Now, do the same with the other. Similar with the top box.

This works on all system cases for the R1100 series and K1200 RS/GS/LT/GT and R1200C/CL/CLC.

Top Bottom Back Refresh